Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 PM   #106
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
Do you think that this is a good chain for 800gs?
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1038...led-chain.html
I'm using this one:
http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1071...gs-09-10-.html

with the 15/41. Works great. I imagine the one you posted will work just fine. Has to be better than the stock chain the bike came with.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 PM   #107
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
... Wildman, what position is your adjuster sitting in the axle slot with the 116 link on 45/15 combo?...
Couldn't tell you off the top of my head and away from home for the week. I'll try to get back to you at the weekend.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #108
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
Got my 15t yesterday - changed it out last night - soooo easy! Could probably be done at the trailhead if one were so inclined.
I do that all the time. In fact, I did it when we rode Jawbone while you were busy stuffing ear plugs up your nose for "dust abatement."

"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM   #109
Trout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
I was just thinking to myself - how funny! A guy with a clown nose on! Oh wait - that's me!!! And that's not a clown nose...
Old 12-17-2010, 06:58 AM   #110
Lounge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post

I'm going from:

Stock gearing: 42/16 combo = 2.63 ratio
With CS change: 42/15 combo = 2.80 ratio

To this combination:

Street: 45/17 = 2.65 ratio
Woods: 45/15 = 3.00 ratio

BUT....what chain length will be needed? Wildman says 116 links works for 45/15 combo. But what about 45/17 combo? I'm wondering if I need a longer chain....say 117 or 118 links?

Wildman, what position is your adjuster sitting in the axle slot with the 116 link on 45/15 combo?
I have a 46/16 currently with a stock length chain and have the adjusters bottomed making the chain slightly loose. Have a 17t CS on it's way and I think (just by eyeballing it) 46/17 will be just about the most sprocket I can use for the stock chain. We'll see when I bolt it up and give her a shake.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:04 AM   #111
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Here's a good resource for academically evaluating gearing changes on bikes (including our beloved 8gs.) Site will accommodate customizations including 18" rear. Units default to kmh so set mph if that is your local.

http://www.gearingcommander.com/

As many have pointed out counter sprocket is a quick and easy change - cheap too. So, run the 15 with TKC's and 17 with Anakees for best of all possible worlds.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV

Sutherngintelmen screwed with this post 01-14-2011 at 06:15 AM
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:37 PM   #112
thatnumber5
Delicately Aged

Oddometer: 6
Changing Front Sprocket on the Fly: F800GS

Here is my plan:

change front sprocket to 17T and back to 41T for commuting/touring/getting to the trailhead. When I get to place where I will go off-road for a bit, change the front to 15T. Sounds like it can be done in 30 minutes or so.

Sounds good in theory, best of both worlds on one bike (Good top speed for the open highway, good low end for the back roads). But how about in practice? Do I have to change the size of the chain or just adjust it after I change the sprocket?

Am I missing something?
thatnumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 PM   #113
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Yes, changing the CS sprocket shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes. Loosen the rear wheel, slack the chain, remove the nut securing the CS sprocket, slide it off and reverse.

HOWEVER, why do this at the trailhead to save a few hundred RPM on your ride to the trail? You'll need to carry the extra sprocket (oily), probably won't have a torque wrench with you (bulky) and then there's the spending time wrenching instead of riding. In the dirt.

If you spend most of your time riding highway, then swap the CS sprocket back over before you head out in the comfort of your garage. If you go back and forth regularly, pick your compromise (higher RPMs on the highway or less low-speed ability on the trails with better fuel economy). I'm just saying...
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 AM   #114
Sutherngintelmen
around the bend

Oddometer: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasKen View Post
I'm just saying...
+1

I'd consider this swap if say mostly commuting then spending 10 days in dirt or swapping wheel sets in the shop. Don't believe it'd be worth it at trail heads.
There is a pleasure in the pathed woods, There is a rapture in the smoking pipe, There is chaos, where none intrudes, in the deep dell, with its thrills roar; I love not nature less, but bikes the more. Byron riding.

All pics < 6/30/12 deleted by Apple Now with SmugMug supporting ADV
Sutherngintelmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #115
thatnumber5
Delicately Aged

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcasKen View Post
Yes, changing the CS sprocket shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes. Loosen the rear wheel, slack the chain, remove the nut securing the CS sprocket, slide it off and reverse.

HOWEVER, why do this at the trailhead to save a few hundred RPM on your ride to the trail? You'll need to carry the extra sprocket (oily), probably won't have a torque wrench with you (bulky) and then there's the spending time wrenching instead of riding. In the dirt.

If you spend most of your time riding highway, then swap the CS sprocket back over before you head out in the comfort of your garage. If you go back and forth regularly, pick your compromise (higher RPMs on the highway or less low-speed ability on the trails with better fuel economy). I'm just saying...
Great point. Thanks a lot.
thatnumber5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #116
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatnumber5 View Post
Great point. Thanks a lot.
I've done it a couple of times where I've slabbed it a few hours to get to the dirt and camped over night. Well worth it then. Otherwise, not so much.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #117
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lounge View Post
I have a 46/16 currently with a stock length chain and have the adjusters bottomed making the chain slightly loose. Have a 17t CS on it's way and I think (just by eyeballing it) 46/17 will be just about the most sprocket I can use for the stock chain. We'll see when I bolt it up and give her a shake.

I'll keep you guys posted.

DId this work out? I'd like to pick up a 45 rear SuperSprox and use the stock chain and stock counter sprocket. Just want to make sure it will fit.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #118
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
I can go from 15 tooth to 17 tooth with the stock chain length.
Cisco
Same.

The 17 wont deliver better consumption per se.

But if you open the airbox, open the exhaust and run Irridium plugs the boost all around in performance means it'll run the taller gearing without any ill effects on consumption.

I took my tuneable exhaust and opened it right up. Not noisier, but deeper note. Big fat burble. Fit the 17 and it get's slightly better consumption with solo rider, but not so much that I'd write home about it. Haven't done a decent pillion run yet.

It delivers better performance than it did with the standard engine and standard gearing. Has improved rideability around town as I can stretch the gears a little and let the engines torque work.

Short shift and twist the throttle and it rides sooooooo nice. I'll see how it goes long term.

Trail riding solo I had a lot of problems initially with the F8s habit of stalling when I'd got the front wheel up onto a log or similar. Instead of going for lower gearing long term, I went for better low end engine responce. It is now a lot harder to stall, and it picks up from idle with a full load effortlessly.

Basically for riding off road with a pillion, if I can't get up there with the gearing it has, I probably shouldn't be trying to get it up there with a pillion anyway. I get the wife to dismount and walk up anything really nasty. Ever since both she and the bike landed on me it has seemed like the wise thing to do.

I had her dismount knee deep mid river once to push when I got bogged....she only fell for that once. Funny but.
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #119
daveo987
n00b

Oddometer: 7
1 after 3k+ on an (new to me ) 2010 GS
2 normal dirt roads riding OVER 15 mph ok.
3 nasty stuff, off camber loose rock side of mountain twisty & more loose rock... 1st gear sucks.
4 1st gear is way to high for technical riding 2nd gear should be slightly lower & rest are ok.
5 If you want to burn clutch all day the gs800 with stock sprockets is the bike for tech riding.
Seems like the sweet spot on this machine is 3k rpm & up, does not work well at 5mph in a 30% grade in loose rock with a hairpin ( more loose rock) at the top. Add throttle snatch & its even worse.

I need to drop the front sprocket size. The other issue, is getting to these "neat" places require riding 100+ miles & fuel burn at over 75+ mph really stinks.. & requires carrying extra fuel.

Looking for suggestions on sprockets. I've dropped this bike (stalled) in nasty stuff more times than in any race I every ran in the last 40 yrs.
daveo987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #120
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,405
You may be riding in technical stuff way above my pay grade, so maybe you need the low gearing. I have the 15, 2 of them in fact. I also have the 17 tooth. I am back to running stock.

I can do that because I addressed the very lean fueling on the bike at low rpm. I did it after looking at the air fuel ratio on a 800 on a dyno. 17 to 1 at idle. It does not make a decent ratio until it spools up passed 2,200rpm.

Trying to trail ride the bike at low rpm, due to the high gearing, is almost impossible, because it makes no power down low. The jerky throttle is caused by going from super lean fueling to adequate in the course of about 1,000 rpm.

Power commanders, accelerator modules, Booster plugs and High Tech Coon Ass module are all solutions to one degree or other.

If you address the low rpm fueling on the bike you can actually lug the motor. I can accelerate from 1800rpm in 6th gear. In the bottom 4 at 2,000rpm, I can accelerate briskly away to various degrees. At idle, using the brake, I can bring it down to 800rpm without stalling. None of that is a good idea, but gives you an idea of the improvement.

May not be good enough for you, but a definite improvement and certainly makes the bike easier to ride.

As for the mileage, you are right, the faster you go, the more gas you burn. I get 56mpg at 65 and around 45 at 75. My only advice is slow down.

itsatdm screwed with this post 05-13-2012 at 11:12 PM
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote