Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
HEY EXTRA TALL DUDES! Do you stand on pegs?

So I read a lot how much better control you have while offroad if you stand on your pegs and the idea makes sense to me. However, I just can't get myself to do it. I am 6' 8" and ride a '99 Tiger and have taken it trail riding a few times. It is actually a lot of work to stand up on the pegs whenever I come to an obstacle because my legs are so long. Even if I lowered the pegs an inch and got bar risers, I think it would still be awkward. When I have ridden in rough stuff, I just bounce from one foot to the other because my legs are plenty long. Any input? My system of sitting through everything seems to work fine, but am I missing out?
johnnyadventurepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,991
There are some riders who go through harsh terrain w/o standing fully, just using their legs to keep the bike in control.

at 6'8" i'm sure a few inches of bar risers could assist you.

If you are sitting when you hit a big bump it is possible to bottom out the rear, whereas if you stand you can absorb. Bottoming out is a great way to loose control.
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
anomad
in storage

Oddometer: 1,645
Well I am not extra tall, only 6'2, but bar risers and tall bars help a ton. Standing helps a ton and a half in difficult terrain. Try raising the bars, its easy to go back if it doesn't make a difference.

You ought to have a great view way up there!
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
OK, let's take it up a notch from anomad. I fit somewhere between 6'3" and 6'4" depending on how much I slouch, and found that removing the stock peg rubber and adding an inch and a half of bar riser helped to make standing tolerable on my F650GS. Fast forward a year, and removing the stock pegs altogether to fit rotating pegz with a larger platform for my feet helped quite a bit, too. I don't think my setup would be comfortable for you, it's really only just within my own comfort zone. I'm thinking much taller bar risers would be the most crucial thing.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,905
Well like JDLuke I'm in the 6'4" zone and stand on the pegs on all three bike. I do get lazy sometimes when off road and splunk my butt on the seat and let the bike earn it's keep. But when really pushing it I'm up. Moving te bars forward has helped this since it gets me into the attack possition easier.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
Johnny, I'm 6'6" and couldn't (I'm talking about size of bike here, not personal preference) ride a Tiger if you paid me. All my bikes (even the montesa) are the BIGGEST bikes in their category. That's for a very good reason. Over all you will always be limited by the the general size of the motorcycle. Bigger size is MUCH better for guys like us.

In the category of bike that you have, the GS or the HP come to mind as a better "base" bike for you to start with. By the way, when I ride my HP I fell like I'm a "normal" size.

A good friend of mine, he's 6'4", just bought a new Adventure bike. He sat on the all, including yours. He chose a new GS Adventure, it fit him the best.

As the other inmates have already said, raised and moved forward handle bar, slightly lowered pegs and raised seat height are the right adjustments to make. All my bikes (even the montesa) feel GREAT to me.

Oh, I forgot to say that I ride standing up as much as I can. I "try" to ride as fast as I can, on very rugged roads. The only way to do that is to stand. By the way, my HP 2 is the most comfortable bike that I have ever ridden standing up.

Hope this all helps, questions, just ask. Jim
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 08:33 AM   #7
Wout67
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,138
If you can't stand straight up on your pegs, squat. Just enough to get your butt off the seat, and let the bike move underneath you. When the obstacle is past, sit down again. I'm no Yao Ming, but it works great for me.

www.iamsecond.com
Wout67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:26 AM   #8
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthe
Johnny, I'm 6'6" and couldn't (I'm talking about size of bike here, not personal preference) ride a Tiger if you paid me.
Only 6' 6" here and a former two time Tiger owner ('05 and '06). The Tiger is plenty big enough, though when I sat on a BMW R1200GSAdventure, that was it for the Tiger.

I put lower pegs, a Corbin seat, and nearly 2" bar risers on my Tiger. Made riding in gravel, sand, and ruts much more controllable. You will have to bend forward a bit but that attack position settles the bike and increases confidence when things get squirrelly.

You might end up riding with short FFs who stand up for miles. Not necessary. When you are tired or clear of gravel, sand, etc, sit down for a while.

When I ride gravel I often stay on the seat and let the bike move beneath me SuperMoto style--keeping my weight centered over the axles and letting the bike lean while I remain upright. We tall guys have very few advantages when riding--shifting weight easily while on or nearly on the seat is one of them.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
markk53
jack of all trades...

Oddometer: 7,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyadventurepants
So I read a lot how much better control you have while offroad if you stand on your pegs and the idea makes sense to me. However, I just can't get myself to do it. I am 6' 8" and ride a '99 Tiger and have taken it trail riding a few times. It is actually a lot of work to stand up on the pegs whenever I come to an obstacle because my legs are so long. Even if I lowered the pegs an inch and got bar risers, I think it would still be awkward. When I have ridden in rough stuff, I just bounce from one foot to the other because my legs are plenty long. Any input? My system of sitting through everything seems to work fine, but am I missing out?
You really should consider putting on a set of higher rise ATV type bars (only difference is the rise, not many bike bars are as high a rise) and maybe even some riser blocks. It is hard to transition to and ride standing up when bars are too low or too far forward. Seriously, if you are that tall you should consider the higher rise ATV bars... they also can provide a bit more space beneath the crossbar if you have any clamp on stuff like a GPS holder or whatever.

The other thing in my opinion is the whole concept of riding on the pegs most of the time doesn't ring true. It seems a whole lot of time I spent riding on trails was on the seat on my old TM125 - this after being a nearly 100% stand up rider on my trials bike. I simply used instinct learned from the trials riding and experience on the TM to realize when to stand and when to sit, etc.

There are times and situations when it's needed (especially on the road when your butt's hurtin' ) and that is when I'm on the pegs. Otherwise I do whatever feels right. I recommend you do the same - You aren't missing out on anything.

Mark - klx678
95 KLX650C w/Vulcan piston bigbore, Now an 09 KLX250S, selling my 90 Zephyr 550
markk53 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:47 AM   #10
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
The Tiger is plenty big enough, though when I sat on a BMW R1200GSAdventure, that was it for the Tiger

I rest my case...

Please don't miss understand me, it's nothing against the Tiger. The GS ADV is just a bigger bike, hence, more comfortable (standing, sitting) for us bigger guys. IMHO

Garthe screwed with this post 09-27-2008 at 10:53 AM
Garthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:16 AM   #11
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,542
I'm 6'6" but with relatively short legs 35" inseam. I've modified my Strom to allow me to stand comfortably for extended periods. I've dropped the pegs and inch and raised the bars 2.75"

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #12
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well this surprised me: Yesterday I was riding a Strom 650 and tested out standing up on that. It was actually pretty easy even though a little smaller bike than the Tiger. It just feels like so much work to stand up on the Tiger - it would really physically wear me out if I stood for every obstacle. Appreciate the input/advice so far! I am very happy with Tiger so far in all other aspects. Does having bar risers make riding on the road feel a lot different? I am really comfortable in the position I ride right now. Trying to imagine my hands up a couple more inches makes me think I will feel like I am riding a granny bicycle or something.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Cordless
Two Wheel Addict

Oddometer: 2,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyadventurepants
I am very happy with Tiger so far in all other aspects. Does having bar risers make riding on the road feel a lot different? I am really comfortable in the position I ride right now. Trying to imagine my hands up a couple more inches makes me think I will feel like I am riding a granny bicycle or something.
I think you will like 3" higher bars on the highway too.

You know, we ought to start a thread of photos of us tall dudes sitting on our bikes and also standing on the pegs to compare angles and fit and ideas. (Would be good for laugh too).

Here's a photo of me next to my Adventure. Makes me look like a freak. Cracks me up when I see it.

But, to be useful, I need to be ON the bike.
Cordless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 06:23 PM   #14
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordless

You know, we ought to start a thread of photos of us tall dudes sitting on our bikes and also standing on the pegs to compare angles and fit and ideas. (Would be good for laugh too).
Not a bad idea.

I will have to get some riding pics though. Here is the only one I have: (sitting, with feet on ground of course)

Old 09-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #15
johnnyadventurepants OP
Gnarly Adventurer

What is the maximum I could raise bars without having to change cables etc?