Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #31
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,861
When I had a removable baffle on a previous bike, I used a wooden dowel of the same diameter as the opening, stuck it in when the bike was cold, did a bit of wiggling and it came right out.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #32
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,378
I'd like to see a pic from the top looking down and one from the back looking ahead. I'm curious how tight to the tank it is (balanced pannier considerations).

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:04 AM   #33
RV8Pilot
Blue,Green,Blue,Gree.....

Oddometer: 213
That's an excellent idea GB I was trying to think of something to put inside the baffle and expand into the cutouts that are way inside but I think the dowel trick just might work to loosen it up. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
When I had a removable baffle on a previous bike, I used a wooden dowel of the same diameter as the opening, stuck it in when the bike was cold, did a bit of wiggling and it came right out.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 AM   #34
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,706
[QUOTE=f800guy] So how does it look?

looks as good as my $800 Akropovik

be sure to take the thingy ( yes I know, those darn technical terms) out the back if you haven't done so already.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #35
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by GNP77
I'd like to see a pic from the top looking down and one from the back looking ahead. I'm curious how tight to the tank it is (balanced pannier considerations).
I'll try to oblige with photos later, but my best "suck yer thumb and hold it up while closing one eye" calibration method suggests the Metal Mule balanced setup will definitely not work, and the Holan might, but I don't wanna be the first to try.

The Hepco & Becker Quick Lock racks (not balanced) definitely do not fit with the Akro pipe.
Old 05-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #36
raider
Big red dog

Okay, so let's start with the baffle. It's held in with an 8mm bolt. Access is a bit tricky since the angle through the "nipple hole" doesn't align with the bolt head, and you have to shift your tool around once you're in to hit it just right. (If someone could explain to my girlfriend why what I just typed was not filthy, it would be appreciated.)

Here it is out, with the bolt threaded back in:

If you're not sure if you have a baffle, look down the pipe. If you can see the drilled metal baffle walls, it's out, like this:

Okay, so on to the fitment. Sorry for the photos - it's dark in my garage and I'm not pushing it outside 'cos it's raining. The aluminium tube in the photos is vertical, and placed at the "point of closest approach" between the pipe and the tank. Note that this is, oddly, not at the widest point of the tank as the pipe has a slight outwards cant to it.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #37
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Thanks for the pics. I've got the Hepco-Becker POS racks with Pelicans and the left side sticks out over 3" more than the right. It looks stupid and annoys me. I'm willing to spend the $$$ to get the pannier over and cut the excessive weight (of the stock pipe).

Can anyone confirm that the Akrapovic for the F800 is a welded baffle system rather than a glass pack?

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US

Camel ADV screwed with this post 05-22-2010 at 08:03 PM
Old 05-22-2010, 09:14 PM   #38
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Thanks for the pics. I've got the Hepco-Becker POS racks with Pelicans and the left side sticks out over 3" more than the right. It looks stupid and annoys me. I'm willing to spend the $$$ to get the pannier over and cut the excessive weight (of the stock pipe).

Can anyone confirm that the Akrapovic for the F800 is a welded baffle system rather than a glass pack?
No idea on the construction, I ordered mine as a BMW accessory. Note that if you do that, it has a BMW part number (and noise test certification) embossed onto it, whereas if you buy directly from Akrapovic it does not. The two might be different somehow, since BMW usually demand exclusive features for their accessories (like the Zumo GPS, aka BMW Navigator, which have more features in BMW guise).

I hate my Hepcos because they don't fit with the Akro pipe, and I'm not convinced the Zeuss fasteners would hold on hour after hour of outback washboard. They're for sale!

I think the Holan balanced racks ought to fit, but really, the neatest luggage solution is the Touratech "Special System" with the cut-out left pannier or the Holan "Adventure" system that lets you fit R1200 cases. Touratech assure me their system will work with the Akro pipe, or any pipe that uses the same mountings as the OEM one, but I don't want to use this as I run soft bags and need flat racks that stand proud of the pipe.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #39
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider
I'm not convinced the Zeuss fasteners would hold on hour after hour of outback washboard. They're for sale!
I'm not sure how Outback washboard compares to Mongolian "roads" but the HBs faired well during my last trip. I didn't like all the movement caused by all the Dzus though. There was a ton of sway in my cases.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #40
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
I'm not sure how Outback washboard compares to Mongolian "roads" but the HBs faired well during my last trip. I didn't like all the movement caused by all the Dzus though. There was a ton of sway in my cases.
Yeah, I'd probably take the chance, if the bracket for the left frame wasn't grinding into the titanium skin of my pipe. Two strikes.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:19 AM   #41
sb666
n00b

Oddometer: 7
When I fitted my Akro the spacers are around the other way leaving more room for the luggage (Holan on order)

sb666 screwed with this post 05-24-2010 at 04:33 AM
sb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #42
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb666
When I fitted my Akro the spacers are around the other way leaving more room for the luggage (Holan on order)
Can you post a photo or diagram of this, show me what you mean?
Old 05-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #43
sb666
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Fitted the same as this with the wide spacer on the outside

http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/e...0872d6cda5.pdf
sb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:02 AM   #44
raider
Big red dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb666
Fitted the same as this with the wide spacer on the outside

http://www.akrapovic.com/typo3conf/e...0872d6cda5.pdf
Thanks

Off the top of my head, I don't think it will fix my Hepco problem. But it might help with the Holan balanced setup. Let us know if you go down that path.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:25 AM   #45
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,861
raider, thanks for the pics, very helpful.

Did you use high temp sealer between the Akro's pipe and the pipe coming out of the cat?