User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #1
ferrix OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
GSX650F vs FZ6R (Diversion)

Those are two bikes on my short list. I am basically after a budget tourer with just a dash of sport thrown in. Some city commuting ability is welcome but no longer the highest priority, ever since I discovered scooters are the perfect tool for that role. 600-650cc is sufficient for me; my most recent (just sold) bike was ER6n and I feel no great need to go up in size. I don't want to get the faired version of ER6 though - nothing terribly wrong with it, I just would like something different for a change.

Some things I am looking for are:
Smooth engine - no vibrations please! Something that annoyed me quite a bit on my ER6.
Some wind protection, so I'm not considering another naked at this stage - been there, done that.
General ease of riding and living with the bike. I don't want to have to tame my bike, nor do I want to form a passionate love/hate relationship with it - I just want to ride it :)

I had a short ride on the Suzuki and it seemed pretty right for me, but sort of heavy. Close, but still I wonder about the Yamaha which just came on our market and which I haven't even seen in the flesh yet - is it lighter? Might it be better finished? Yamahas usually rate well in quality stakes, but this is a budget edition and I wonder how many corners they cut...

So, has anyone tried them both and can offer any impressions?
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #2
FalloutMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Well I cant speak for either really... I bought an 05 FZ6 a month ago and all I gotta say is WOW! The FZ6 is a super nice platform and the only difference between the 6 and 6R is the R is shooting more at the beginner. Honestly Id try to fit the 6 over the 6R because you get an aluminum frame, more AM support (which could and will change), a more powerful plant, under-the-seat exhaust, and I personally think it looks cooler all for 2-300 more USD here in the U.S and A. The rear tire is also wider which means better cornering when you get low, which is extremely hard to not do on the FZ. I swear the bike gets in a good mood when you go fast. Speaking of speed, fast it it's other middle name next to affordable. 130mph rolls around with way more to go. The bike is comfy for two-ups and, with the right stuff, would pack no problem. You cant go wrong with the 6R because they cut cost by switching to a steel frame instead of Aluminum which is where that 200 savings came from. Either the 6 or the 6R are gunna be awsome bikes!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #3
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Just to clarify - FZ6 aka Fazer have nothing to do with brand new version of Diversion aka XJ600S and N, it is very different animals. Did you mean Fazer vs. GSXF?

Sorry, correction, should have made it clearer - I meant - FalloutMan, FZ6 is way more advanced than FZ6R which is US sister to European XJ600S 2009. It's different engine and different chassis, and costs saving showing everywhere on XJ/FZ6R...while FZ6 is one fine bike chassis- wise

bluesman screwed with this post 04-29-2009 at 04:29 PM
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:47 AM   #4
ferrix OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Just to clarify - FZ6 aka Fazer have nothing to do with brand new version of Diversion aka XJ600S and N, it is very different animals. Did you mean Fazer vs. GSXF?
No, I am talking about the new 'budget FZ6", known to us as XJ6 or Diversion, but I believe in the States you get the full-fairing version and call it FZ6R.

As for FZ6... I took one on a test ride a year ago or so, and no offence to many happy owners here, but it was one of few modern bikes I positively disliked. Things I didn't like: highly uneven spread of torque through the range of revs, heavy and grabby clutch, underseat exhaust, and on the bike I rode at least, very twitchy and strange steering.
In short, I am hoping the 'budget' FZ6R is sufficiently different to be of interest to me. It is supposed to have better spread of torque and much slicker clutch/gearbox. Also, it has that short, low slung exhaust - I like that.
I'm still waiting to see how it actually rides.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,288
Ferrix, I know you mean Diversion which here marketed as XJ600S and over there ar FZ6R, I was referring to FalloutMan comments. FZ6 not a platform for FZ6R, it really very different bikes, so it would not be fair to judge one by another. I only sat on new Diversion (not sure if it was production unit or just pre-production demo or not) - on Auto/Bike Salon 2009 in january and it felt WAY different. When I looked into details of both bikes which were close on show flor - chassis totally totally different and engine seems quite different too. Yamaha said it is new engine mostly, only outside look similar - can't tell, did not ride it.

I can't comment much on FZ6 as I do not own it. I did not like it's engine on test drive I had. I liked old FZS600 engine way more, but what do I know ...Chassis worked fine for me, way it expected from aggressive and light sport-roadster, not much different from Hornet I used to have in past only better. I guess it is personal perception.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:16 AM   #6
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,911
I have found the 4cyl bikes buzz, not vibrate. and that gives different problems.
I have a 900 Diversion, and while it is a great bike, it "buzzes", numbing my right hand after around 30ks.
My mate has an FZ6, and loves it(this week anyway )
Havent seen the new 600 Divvy, but hope to next week when I go to Adelaide.

Ride either, and see how you go.

Have you thought of the BMW F800 series??
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #7
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 30,925
I have the GSX650F and love it as a budget ST mount. It is smooth stable and vibration free.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
ferrix OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno
Have you thought of the BMW F800 series??
Yes I have, because it's a bike I like in many ways. But as I mentioned, I am basically after a budget sports-tourer. BMW is also a budget sports-tourer, but on a different budget :)

For us down under I think ride-away prices would be around $11,000 for GCX650F or Diversion, compared to over 16,000 and more for BMW, and also around 16,000 for VFR, which is also the kind of bike I might be interested in. So it's a significant increase in price for these two.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:40 PM   #9
lucky#13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I realize this is a four year old thread, but can anyone add to this discussion?

I've narrowed down my next bike to either the GSX650F or FZ6R.
lucky#13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,551
You ride solo alot? Speeds up to 85 MPH as normal cruise? You want light feel and decent dynamics in sport riding?

Go read the Ninja 300 thread. The redesign, gear ratios and torque/HP boost has advanced the bike into the middleweight class without the weight or cost.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
dogjaw
plays well alone

Oddometer: 2,930
I've ridden the GSX650F on many occasions, and it's one of my favorite bikes; very underrated, smoothest bike I've ever ridden.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,918
I rode the 'other' bike you didn't list, the Kawasaki 650R, for three years and 25k miles. I also have put 28k miles on the FZ6, the aluminum framed cousin of the FZ6R. The 650R was nice and light, the ~65hp was plenty. I still miss it.

That said, my Yamaha is better made. Little things you don't notice until you pull it apart for service, but also the long valve adjustment interval (27k miles).

I'd not hesitate to buy another current Yamaha. That the FZ6R is specified somewhat shamefully as a copy of my dear old 650R is only another tic in its favour.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #13
lucky#13
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt View Post
I rode the 'other' bike you didn't list, the Kawasaki 650R, for three years and 25k miles. I also have put 28k miles on the FZ6, the aluminum framed cousin of the FZ6R. The 650R was nice and light, the ~65hp was plenty. I still miss it.

That said, my Yamaha is better made. Little things you don't notice until you pull it apart for service, but also the long valve adjustment interval (27k miles).

I'd not hesitate to buy another current Yamaha. That the FZ6R is specified somewhat shamefully as a copy of my dear old 650R is only another tic in its favour.
I put about 3,500 miles on a Ninja 500, but after commuting to work in late October/early November decided that I wanted a fuel injected bike for the next riding season.

I rode a 2012 Ninja 650R during a Kawasaki Demo event last summer and enjoyed it, but a 2012 or 2013 isn't in my budget and I don't like the older versions of the bike.

I did test ride a 2008 GSX650F and found it to very smooth (in terms of power delivery and ride) during my test.

I was able to look at both the FZ6R and FZ6, but with the current conditions in the Boston area and the fact that several dealers I talked to have suspended test rides for the winter I don’t anticipate actually be able to ride either the FZ6R or FZ6 until the weather improves.

lucky#13 screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 08:33 AM Reason: spelling
lucky#13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
SkiMan
Nora's freezin' on the...

Oddometer: 127
Check this out: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...highlight=FZ6R
I think I got the right tread here. If not search "Yamaha FZ6R as a sport touring bike"
I have considered this but am looking at other options at the moment, would really like to be in the 800cc class instead.
SkiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:21 AM   #15
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix View Post
No, I am talking about the new 'budget FZ6", known to us as XJ6 or Diversion, but I believe in the States you get the full-fairing version and call it FZ6R.

As for FZ6... I took one on a test ride a year ago or so, and no offence to many happy owners here, but it was one of few modern bikes I positively disliked. Things I didn't like: highly uneven spread of torque through the range of revs, heavy and grabby clutch, underseat exhaust, and on the bike I rode at least, very twitchy and strange steering.
In short, I am hoping the 'budget' FZ6R is sufficiently different to be of interest to me. It is supposed to have better spread of torque and much slicker clutch/gearbox. Also, it has that short, low slung exhaust - I like that.
I'm still waiting to see how it actually rides.
No offense taken, but I'm with Fallout; the FZ6 is a better platform to start with and you can find great value in used bikes. (At least here in the states?)
They're purdie much bullet proof, have long valve check intervals, and a great all 'round platform to build from. Plus less bodywork if'n ya drop it; i.e. they crash well.
The problems you mentioned are there, but easy to fix. New tires, check steering head, get a longer arm for the clutch shaft, and if you buy used, with the monies you save you could get Leo Vince slip-ons, and a PCIII. Mine's stock 'n I'm very pleased with the thang.