Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
Keyf
5 o'clock World

Oddometer: 15
I have ridden both the GSX as well as the FZ6R. My wife and I rented two Yamahas in Germany this year and Julie rented the Diversion (FZ6R). I rented the FZ8 Fazer.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/...l#.UPa0gvJJQkQ

When we got back, I started looking for a GSX and bought a black/silver 2008 in October. I had a set of items that I wanted in my next bike (such as range, seating position, fairing, etc). I really liked the FZ8 Fazer but they don't sell it in the US (only as a naked) and its fuel range was not as much as I wanted. I rode the Diversion around the Dolomites and it was a great bike in that environment. Light, quick and smooth, the Diversion was pure joy.

So why did I get the GSX? I was looking for a middle size sport tourer and the GSX got the nod by being a bit better (smoother engine & smoother ride) in most situations. If I rode mostly tight mtn roads, I would have bought the FZ6R. The GSX can feel a bit heavy (because it is) in slow speed situations but I am used to bikes that weigh 530 lbs.

I agree with Grainbelt about the build quality of the Yamahas. The FZ6R felt like a well built piece of equipment. The GSX somewhat less.

I would have been happy with either of the two.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,299
I have a 650 Bandit. This became the GSX650F with the addition of the lower fairing, and with it, a $1000 penalty if it tips over in your driveway!
I looked at the FZ6, but the engine is NOT as good over the low to mid revs, where, admit it, we spend most of our time.
I just plain don't like what the FZ6 has become, and I'm not a huge fan of the lower fairing on the Suzuki. Cheers
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #18
Jim K.
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 753
2 Years ago, I was looking for a short term "filler" bike, while I saved for a BMW 800 ST. I picked up a GSX 650 F leftover for a very low price to keep for a year or two until the bank account recovered enough for an ST. 12,000 miles in now & I've forgotten about the BMW. This bike has become a keeper . I'm not sure you can get more bang for the buck anywhere. (Except maybe it's big brother, the 1250 ). Unfortunately, they are no longer sold here in the states, otherwise I'd be thinkinng about a trade-in on an ABS model 650. The only draw back I can find is the blue/white colors which scream GIXXER - to our local troopers.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #19
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,299
We get the 1250 in Canada. Black with a full fairing.
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote