User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
JRP OP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Fast Lane transponder

Can anyone post pictures of where they installed their transponder? I want a permanent location as I don't always use a tank bag. The windshield on the GS doesn't seem to be quite flat enough to work.
The one I got from the MTA is about 3" square, other states may use different sizes.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
It should easily mounted on your windscreen. Use the Dual Lock that usually come with it, and stick it near the edges of the unit. I have seen it before.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP
Can anyone post pictures of where they installed their transponder? I want a permanent location as I don't always use a tank bag. The windshield on the GS doesn't seem to be quite flat enough to work.
The one I got from the MTA is about 3" square, other states may use different sizes.
Here in the S.F. Bay Area, they photo your plate and if you have the vehicle registered with the Fastrak system, everything works fine. In other words, I don't carry one with me on the bike. Half the time the system doesn't register the transponder in my cars anyhow.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
NJ Moto
Running Free

Oddometer: 7,398
Another spot is to wire tie it onto the square plate of the windscreen crossbar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuKeu...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYqF_BtIwAU
"Can we get a party to finally represent us?" - Cenk Uygur
NJ Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
mdmair
n00b Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
transponder location

I keep mine in the chest pocket of my jacket.

MDM
mdmair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Synisalo
Adventure wannabe

Oddometer: 103
I keep mine in the clear map pocket of my tank bag. I don't commute, only use it when I am traveling somewhere, so the tank bag is always with me. Comes with me when I go inside somewhere, so I don't have to worry about some ner-do-well swiping it.:)

---------------------------------------------------

I often wonder why I am still alive with all the dumb things I have done... Then logic gets the better of me, and I wonder why I am not dead.
Synisalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
digger2
A Cad & A Bounder

Oddometer: 629
ram mount

and use a flat top
digger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
mvalspeed
Queasy Rider

Oddometer: 32
Try a mini-Pelican case, secured to the bike with a fishing leader (stainless) and velcro. The case is waterproof and the transponder won't care about the weather, or the depth of the stream on the way to grandma's house.
mvalspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,574
The new TollTags here in Texas are stickers. No more clunky plastic calculator-sized blocks, nossir.

Just peel the backing off, and stick it to the inside of the windscreen.

You might check with your local or state tollroad operator, and see if they have sticker tags available, or if they plan to go to that design soon.

WA.
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:06 AM   #10
JRP OP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch
The new TollTags here in Texas are stickers. No more clunky plastic calculator-sized blocks, nossir.

You might check with your local or state tollroad operator, and see if they have sticker tags available, or if they plan to go to that design soon.

WA.
Thanks, that would be a BIG help if they did that here.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #11
RogerA
Continually Confused

Oddometer: 73
Quote:

WA.
Here in Florida, the new SunPass sticker type transponder have a warning on their website.

"Note: The SunPass Mini Sticker transponder will only operate when affixed to glass windshields. They are not designed for use on motorcycles. "

2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure / 2009 Triumph Thruxton

Bikes I never should have sold: Honda 90 / Honda CB 250 / 1961 Triumph T110 / 1971 Triumph Bonneville / 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 / 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R / 2007 R1200GSA
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,574
Wow, that's interesting....

Why the heck would it make a shred of difference?

Edit: So I read in the SunPass pdf - "It must be permanently mounted to the windshield or it won't work, because the windshield acts as an antenna."

Okay, the SunPasses, TollTags, or whatever else other tollroad operators choose to call 'em are nothing more than glorified RFID tags. They typically use a planar inductor to generate a small activation current [some have small on-board batteries] as the tag travels into the influence of the radiofrequency field, and this current "turns on" the tag and radiates back to the antenna its unique identifier.

I'm a degreed electrical engineer, a licensed extra class radio amateur, a state-licensed master electrician, and I've been in and around electricity and radio since I plugged a hairpin into an electrical outlet when I was 18 months old, but the concept whereby a glass windshield, a highly efficient dielectric, acts as an antenna is something that's going to have to be explained to me.....

WA.

Buccleuch screwed with this post 04-30-2009 at 08:42 AM
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:28 AM   #13
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,152
Quote:
Wow, that's interesting....

Why the heck would it make a shred of difference?

Edit: So I read in the SunPass pdf - "It must be permanently mounted to the windshield or it won't work, because the windshield acts as an antenna."

Okay, the SunPasses, TollTags, or whatever else other tollroad operators choose to call 'em are nothing more than glorified RFID tags. They typically use a planar inductor to generate a small activation current [some have small on-board batteries] as the tag travels into the influence of the radiofrequency field, and this current "turns on" the tag and radiates back to the antenna its unique identifier.

I'm a degreed electrical engineer, a licensed extra class radio amateur, a state-licensed master electrician, and I've been in and around electricity and radio since I plugged a hairpin into an electrical outlet when I was 18 months old, but the concept whereby a glass windshield, a highly efficient dielectric, acts as an antenna is something that's going to have to be explained to me.....

WA.
No shit, bizarre!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #14
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,256
What happens if the sensor doesn't acknowledge your transponder when you pass through the toll area? Do you get a ticket or do they identify your account through your license plate?

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #15
RogerA
Continually Confused

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
What happens if the sensor doesn't acknowledge your transponder when you pass through the toll area? Do you get a ticket or do they identify your account through your license plate?

>>>>>>>
Florida State Law (Statute 316.1001) requires payment of prescribed tolls for the usage of toll facilities. Failure to comply with this statute may result in the assessment of a $100 or more civil penalty, three points assessed against your driver's license, assessment of court costs, and suspension of your vehicle registration and/or suspension of your driver's license.
To resolve this matter, you must contact a Violations Representative at 1-888-865-5352, option #5, by the due date printed on the document. When you call, please have available your Personal Identification Number (PIN), transponder number, violation document and vehicle tag number to update your account information.
The Department has the authority to issue a Uniform Traffic Citation for each unpaid toll transaction listed on the violation document per section 316.1001, Florida Statutes, if this matter is not resolved by the due date printed on the document.
Keeping vehicle information updated will often prevent issuance of a violation because it allows us to recognize you as a SunPass customer but is not a guarantee. It remains the customer's responsibility to follow the guidelines of proper transponder mounting, maintenance and usage.
<<<<<<<

Sounds like they try to identify you as an account holder.

2011 BMW R1200GS Adventure / 2009 Triumph Thruxton

Bikes I never should have sold: Honda 90 / Honda CB 250 / 1961 Triumph T110 / 1971 Triumph Bonneville / 2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100 / 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX636 / 2005 Kawasaki ZX12R / 2007 R1200GSA
RogerA is offline   Reply With Quote