Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
JRP OP
Old guy

Oddometer: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
It should easily mounted on your windscreen. Use the Dual Lock that usually come with it, and stick it near the edges of the unit. I have seen it before.

Jim
There is no part of the R 1150 GS Adventure screen that is flat enough for full contact with the provided Dual Lock system. I'm not sure which model you have seen them on.
1983 R 80 G/S
JRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:33 PM   #17
Buccleuch
Resistance is futile.

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak
What happens if the sensor doesn't acknowledge your transponder when you pass through the toll area? Do you get a ticket or do they identify your account through your license plate?

The one time this happened to me, it listed a violation on my account. But the system didn't automatically didn't resolve the issue, and charge my TollTag - but the NTTA didn't send me a citation, either.

The violation stayed on my account until I manually assigned the violation to my TollTag, and the system applied the normal $0.60 toll fee and removed the violation.

Now, all that said - and if anyone has more knowledge of tollway tag system infrastructure, keep me honest - the TollTag RFID antennas do not, I don't believe, transmit all the time. When I roll through a toll plaza, there are inductive loops cut in the road surface, and my supposition is that as you drive over the inductive loop, you push the sensor out of resonance, current detectors sense a vehicle passing through, and bang, the TollTag transmitters turn on, your TollTag replies with your account info, and you get charged.

The reason I bring this up is I know of a few tollway lanes and plazas which apparently are not sensitive enough to "sense" my 1200GS rolling through. When I check my account, no toll is charged, nor is a violation noted. And the red light never goes on, either.

Not that I, uh... [cough] Intentionally aim for those particular lanes on a routine basis or anything...

WA.
Buccleuch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:46 PM   #18
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch
Wow, that's interesting....

Why the heck would it make a shred of difference?

Edit: So I read in the SunPass pdf - "It must be permanently mounted to the windshield or it won't work, because the windshield acts as an antenna."

Okay, the SunPasses, TollTags, or whatever else other tollroad operators choose to call 'em are nothing more than glorified RFID tags. They typically use a planar inductor to generate a small activation current [some have small on-board batteries] as the tag travels into the influence of the radiofrequency field, and this current "turns on" the tag and radiates back to the antenna its unique identifier.

I'm a degreed electrical engineer, a licensed extra class radio amateur, a state-licensed master electrician, and I've been in and around electricity and radio since I plugged a hairpin into an electrical outlet when I was 18 months old, but the concept whereby a glass windshield, a highly efficient dielectric, acts as an antenna is something that's going to have to be explained to me.....

WA.
I know, and I agree that it doesn't seem to make sense. I initially dismissed it as rubbish, until my buddy bought one (they're basically free) and affixed it to his motorcycle windscreen... and sure nuf, it didn't work!

A little googling of this and still no clear explanation, other than some RFID applications are tailored specifically for mounting on glass due to fading considerations. It would be interesting to learn some details, but for now I carry mine in my jacket pocket and accept the approx 70% hit rate (most of the new at-speed toll readers have no visual feedback, so that is based on the older style slower lanes through booths). The rest of the time it relies on license plate readers.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #19
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Sunpass Transponder s a POS..

I just bought a (ridiculously huge) Florida Sunpass transponder, activated it, put money in its account, put it in the chest pocket of my mesh jacket, and on it's maiden voyage over the Skyway bridge by St. Pete, it failed to register. I looked back and didn't see the tell-tale flash of a cam, but I was plenty PO'd about the prospects of a $100 ticket. On the way back, I went through a pay/Sunpass lane, stopped, and the thing still didn't register until I took it out of my jacket and waived it at the lady.

The thing says it is for motorcycles on the package, but it's a total POS in my mind. I bought it at a $25 premium, and I still have to stop and flail it which negates it's need for existence.

I am in my garage now trying to come up with a way to mount the dog-toy sized plastic POS now in such a manner as to be able to stick it on and remove it quickly yet securely.

If any Floridian GS pilot would care to share (appropriate because of the size of the POS), I would be most appreciative. Willing to hear all other ideas too...

Thanks-

B.
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #20
Rudley
el mojo fuerte

Oddometer: 232
Try This

I've had one of these for 2 years, Works Great, and there is an attachment if you don't have handlebar mount capability that mounts on a mirror stalk

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/toll-...FYSf4Aodhg4A8A

Rudley
Old 07-21-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Brahma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudley View Post
I've had one of these for 2 years, Works Great, and there is an attachment if you don't have handlebar mount capability that mounts on a mirror stalk

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/toll-...FYSf4Aodhg4A8A

Rudley
Thanks, but I'd trash the transponder if that were the only solution!
Brahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 AM   #22
Lat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
The sticker style works fine on the bottom of the beak/mud guard on the GS... The old style took double stick foam tape and some two inch tape over the badge for added antigravity security to do pretty much the same thang.

As long as you keep the transponder away from metal you should be able to get creative with out of sight solutions. I know a couple of guys that mounted theirs inside the plastic trunks on their Gold Wings with good results. Hth. ~Jeff

Ride For Kids
Lat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #23
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
I use the supplied Dual Lock velcro-like stuff and mount mine to the inside of the windscreen. Works fine there.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 AM   #24
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I use the supplied Dual Lock velcro-like stuff and mount mine to the inside of the windscreen. Works fine there.
Pretty much all GS bikes fit like that. Unless you are trying to fit the dual lock horizontally!

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 AM   #25
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Pretty much all GS bikes fit like that. Unless you are trying to fit the dual lock horizontally!

Jim
Did it that way on my RS, too.

However, my basic paranoia and need to tinker means I am considering making some kind of lanyard for it that I can attach to the bike somehow, maybe with a plastic carabiner.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #26
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccleuch View Post
The new TollTags here in Texas are stickers. No more clunky plastic calculator-sized blocks, nossir.

Just peel the backing off, and stick it to the inside of the windscreen.

You might check with your local or state tollroad operator, and see if they have sticker tags available, or if they plan to go to that design soon.

WA.
Texans always have better ideas....

...like no state income tax!
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #27
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma View Post

If any Floridian GS pilot would care to share (appropriate because of the size of the POS), I would be most appreciative. Willing to hear all other ideas too...

Thanks-

B.
While not a Floridian, I am a GS pilot and I do have some advice...

would you like to hear it?
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #28
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
I have one of the newish battery less, weather-resistant Florida Sunpass devices. Have a GSA windscreen on a GS, and have velcro'd it, upside down onto the small 'shelf' just behind the lower part of the screen. By upside down I mean the little stands face down, with the rubber suction cups removed. It wedges between the screen and shelf. Been working perfect for many months.