ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
lonerockz OP
Permanent n00b

Oddometer: 663
Greater Twincities Photo Tag!

Ok I'm tired of having the central region photo tag be a full day’s ride away. So I'm starting one near me so I can find some new places to go and see.

The major mechanics are the same as other tags: post a photo of a landmark with your motorcycle/scooter/motorized bicycle. Next person to post a photo of the same landmark with their /scooter/motorized bicycle earns the right and responsibility to post the next photo.

Because I'm an engineer I have more rules with mine.
  1. The goal of this is to have cool places to visit, not to stump your ADV brethren with some out of the way mole hill. So to that end all landmarks must be one of the following kinds:
    • Unique non mobile manmade structures larger than a 1958 Chevy impala. (ie nothing that moves)
    • Unique inorganic landscape features that are larger than the original Minnesota governor’s mansion. (ie no pretty stones by the side of the road)
    • Unique organic landscape features larger than the Minnesota state capitol. (ie no trees)
    • All restaurant tags must include a second photo of the dish eaten there. (ie I'm a fat guy in search of good places to eat)
  2. From March to October all tags must be within 200 miles of the Minnesota state capitol. From November to February all tags must be within 75 miles of the capitol. (ie not Tennessee)

Two tools for checking straight line distance can be found here: http://www.distancefromto.net/ & http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm
  3. All tags must be accessible by a 1966 BMW R60/2 with 18 year old cracked street tires. (ie not on an island that is only accessible by an ice bridge in January)
  4. Tags that last more than a week with no one being able to identify or find the tag are considered annoying and the poster is to be ridiculed by the ADV community. Oh and the next photo posted will replace it as the active tag.
  5. Riders that don’t post a new tag within 24 hours of earning the right to post it are to be considered wankers. They should be reminded repeatedly of their status until they post a new photo.
  6. When posting the follow up photo, post the street address or directions how to get there so that the rest of us can enjoy a ride to it as well.
  7. Follow up photos must me taken after the original tag; no digging through the archives!
  8. Posting using smartphones from the field is strongly encouraged. But keep in mind that some of these phones put your LON and LAT in as metadata making it pretty easy to find the site!
  9. I will be creating a google map and mirroring the photos, so that they are saved for prosperity. If you don't want your photos mirrored please note it in your post what a big baby you are and I will respect your wishes even as I subject you to extreme ridicule.
So here is the first tag:

IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Rustic Roads Century Progress

lonerockz screwed with this post 05-13-2011 at 12:34 PM
lonerockz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #2
Osnabrock
Ditch GPS

Oddometer: 231
enticed!
Quality Post.
Osnabrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 3,996
Too many rules, didn't read
Old 04-30-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
lonerockz OP
Permanent n00b

Gravy, I think your just chicken. Probably scared to get a tag that is in an urban area...

Steve
IBA #37625 (Earned in 98 Awarded in 2009... Yeah I'm a little lazy sometimes...)
Old 04-30-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Daggy
Wondering ...

Oddometer: 986
This might work ...

Oooo ... I likey rule 1D.

Yes, it would be nice to have a tag-a-thon closer to home.
Any chance we can make it greater MN?

And please, don't tag from an old photo. Ride there, take a new photo, continue ...
Daggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
MikeS
Motorcycle hacker

Oddometer: 685
Hmmmm; 1357 Sibley Memorial Hwy., Mendota ?????

Now to just get there...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:30 AM   #7
Daggy
Wondering ...

Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS
Hmmmm; 1357 Sibley Memorial Hwy., Mendota ?????
Go get it. In 1854, that was just about the first house built in the state, no?

And tag a restaurant. I want to see more food pics.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:58 AM   #8
lonerockz OP
Permanent n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daggy
Oooo ... I likey rule 1D.

Yes, it would be nice to have a tag-a-thon closer to home.
Any chance we can make it greater MN?

And please, don't tag from an old photo. Ride there, take a new photo, continue ...
Daggy, my goals were to keep it within an easy days ride from the Twin Cities in the summer and a 15 minute helicopter ride from HCMC's level 1 trauma center in the winter.

It really does cover much of MN. Only the Norther third of the state is out of bounds. Heck Duluth is in bounds.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Daggy
Wondering ...

Ok

(Cue game show music) Let's play!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:17 AM   #10
Metallic Waste
Wearing the Cone Of Shame

Oddometer: 3,905
Like!!!
-K

--GSAnderson
Metallic Waste is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
williefast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
finally someone started this game around here. Its mine tonight if no one beats me to it..
williefast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
*Gravy*
Jedi Loser

Oddometer: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonerockz
Gravy, I think your just chicken. Probably scared to get a tag that is in an urban area...

Steve
Leave my chicken out of this!
Old 04-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #13
JJMSP
Cervicalgia

Oddometer: 1,544
We may have to add a time stamp to the date on the photos cuz me thinks there will a lot of action on these tags based on the past. Let's we used the position of the sun in the pictures once, I think ...

Off I go ,,,,

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. ~ T.S. Elliot

Save $5 when you join smugmug! use code yvtwmtzwtnSZA
JJMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
lonerockz OP
Permanent n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMSP
We may have to add a time stamp to the date on the photos cuz me thinks there will a lot of action on these tags based on the past. Let's we used the position of the sun in the pictures once, I think ...

Off I go ,,,,
Time stamps and photo dates don't matter, its posting order. If you have the skills and tech to post from the site then that makes you better at the game!

Another reason I chose a small area is that I wanted LOTS of sites. Many people choose out of the way locations so their photo will last a long time. Not me. I want more photos and more places to visit.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:53 PM   #15
williefast
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
Ok Here

Here Is Another Try?!
New tag to come in the morning
Attached Images

williefast is offline   Reply With Quote