User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #1
ex250mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
Trip planning, panhandle perhaps?

I've never been to the panhandle or lower Alabama. I've got the week of thanksgiving off and might try a trip out that way.

I need some suggestions on where to go, where to camp (free preferably) where to avoid etc... I'm thinking about 5-6 days total.

I'm on a slow ass bike so I'd like to stick to dirt (ok sand) roads as much as possible. Interstate is out of the question as are major cities.

Basically I just want to ride a bunch of backroads and camp like a dirty hippy.

I don't need a route just yet but I'll be leaving from DeLand and stopping at salt springs on the way back.

Tire suggestions and other (free) advice is welcome.
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,213
If'n the idea of FREE waterfront camping appeals to you at all, ya might wanna check out Grassy Point in the Yellow River WMA:
https://www.webreserv.com/escribanop...l?sp=&show=map

I've camped out there a few times, and have performed countless sunset inspections:

Plenty of riding in the immediate vicinity too, altho you'll need an Eglin rec permit to enjoy it. Google "Jackson Guard Eglin" for info. I'm on a slow ass bike too (if I'm riding it, it's a slow ass bike) and I'd be happy to show ya around.

As for tires--lotsa opinions on the subject, but the consensus, backed by my personal experience, is that Kenda's Trakmaster on the rear offers a lotta bang/buck ratio for sand riding. On the front, any aggressive knobby is gonna beat the pants off any mild-mannered dualsport tire in the sand. I haven't tried it yet, but have heard good things about Shinko's F540, it's not insanely expensive at ~$65. Have also been told that the Pirelli Scorpion Pro front is the shiznit, but at ~$80 it's just too spendy for a brokeass cheap bastard like me.

If I were a man of Buzztail's means, I'd be running a Scorpion Pro too

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #3
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,654
This guy knows

Mr Ineptizoid tells the truth Ruth. He is not only a Certified Old Timer in good standing, but also and authorized and consummate Sunset Inspector, a Crowned Wheelie King (by Swampy himself), Organizer of the ANTI-Fee Movement, Releaser of the Kraken, and of course Random Dip Wad.

Listen to what he says.

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
ex250mike OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I've got a trackmaster II rear now and a washougal front. They are great in sand. But suck on pavement. I've not spent much time planning this yet but don't mind swapping tires to something more road worthy if its needed. They will both probably be worn the hell out by November anyway.

I checked out the eglin link, looks like access changes often and is updated daily. I won't have intardnet accesss while on the road so that might be an issue.

I have a tiny tent now, but am thinking a hammock might work better. I can park anywhere there are trees and setup camp.

Once the weather finally cools off a bit I plan to do some short trips to test out some gear changes and whatnot. Hopefully I don't decide I need a new bike.
ex250mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
ineptizoid
Not Mission Capable

Oddometer: 5,213
Everything Vic said was true, except for the Swampy part.

Mike, I didn't realize you were RIDING from DeLand, I sorta ASSumed you were trailering over. That changes everything. Since yer dealin with many road miles on this trip, I'd recommend either the Shinko 244 or Kenda 270, if cost is an issue. I've run both for 50/50 use, and they hold up well, perform OK both on- and offroad (for what they are, anyway), and they're cheap. If cost is no object, then Dunlop's 606...far from cheap, but very durable.

Everything I really needed to know, I learned in Schneider School.

Official Organizer of the ADVrider Sandbox Hooligans Anti-FEE Movement

Quoth the Photojournalist: Am I gonna be the one that's gonna set them straight? Look at me--WRONG!
ineptizoid is offline   Reply With Quote