Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 11:01 PM   #16
Bushav8r
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
wonder if your break-in procedure had anything to do with it...you got a lot of bizarre responses when you started that thread
Bushav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:07 PM   #17
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
I never went over 5,000 RPM's until 600 miles. Varied the throttle opening and RPM's as much as possible. By the book.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #18
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,583
Fingers crossed!
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:25 AM   #19
Adamski
n00b

Oddometer: 7
I've got new engine, after first failed apart after 9000 km. Maybe cluch was made in china? Good luck.
Adamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #20
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamski
Maybe cluch was made in china?
Or Detroit?

F the Fn F, Griz. Hope they set you right.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #21
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Again, thanks, guys. This is a trying time for me!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #22
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Just called the dealer. Told them whatever it takes, this thing better come back to me like new. I'm going to ask them for a loaner bike too. Maybe a R12GS.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
RobStar
Still On Training Wheels

Oddometer: 433
Your state probably has a Lemon Law so keep copious written notes and documentation of everything including conversations and phone calls. Should anything else arise related to this in the future, even way down the road and you can document it all you'll have a better chance at winning. Make sure you express your concerns NOW about the longevity of the engine IN WRITING. You don't have to be an ass about about it, just "thank you for your attention and my concerns are VAGUE DESCRIPTION THAT CAN BE INTERPRETED TO BE INCLUSIVE OF OTHER SYMPTOMS OR PARTS.

Again, a lot depends on your state's lemon laws but most are pretty good in favor of the consumer IF you follow the process to the letter.

I had to use the lemon law on a 2000 Suburban in when I lived in Florida related to the rear differential going out three times in 5000 miles. Florida has excellent lemon laws but there is a specific process and you need written documentation.

The process took over five months to resolve but when it was over GM had to pay us 100% the cost of the vehicle, all the costs of breakdown, towing, lodging, food during the out of town breakdowns, PLUS the cost of renting another SUV for five months since after the third breakdown I would not accept the car back. The manufacturers try to sweat you out figuring few people can afford to be without or rent a car for 5-6 months. Plus they want to get the vehicle back in your possession to show later that they fixed it and you've been driving all along with no problems. They (GM) took it all the way to a formal face-to-face arbitration but I was well if not overly documented and won.

The point is to educate yourself now to your states Lemon Laws so that you have not missed something three years from now when and if you need it. By sending a written letter to the dealer AND manufacturer of your concerns now you effectively start the process and the clock ticking. No need to mention Lemon Laws now, just your long-term concerns. Make sure you've included that you rely on the vehicle but want them to keep it to make sure they've had adequate time for the repair and all-important testing afterward, not just a spin around the block.

Something else you might request is an oil and oil filter change within 600 miles of the repair.

2010 1200GS Adventure

RobStar screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 09:12 AM
RobStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #24
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Just called the dealer. Told them whatever it takes, this thing better come back to me like new. I'm going to ask them for a loaner bike too. Maybe a R12GS.
If they give you a 12GS you probably won't want your F8 back.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #25
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz

Hey Grizzly,

Did you have any indication there might be trouble, ie funny noises, rattles,
clutch slip, etc.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #26
Huesero
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Best of luck to you -- not ideal!
Huesero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:11 AM   #27
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
If they give you a 12GS you probably won't want your F8 back.
You always seem to have a good point tmex!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 AM   #28
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Hey Grizzly,

Did you have any indication there might be trouble, ie funny noises, rattles,
clutch slip, etc.
To be be completely honest:

From the point that I picked the bike up from the dealer up until now I've always heard a bit of "quiet rattling" from the left/clutch side of the bike. Didn't concern me at all, since motors are motors. They make noise. However, the "rattling" sound would always get a tad bit louder when I put the bike in neutral and let the clutch out. Still didn't worry me. Just kept riding it.... and now all of the sudden this.

The ironic thing is that while I was riding it, five minutes or so before the breakdown I was thinking to myself, "I wonder if I should have the dealer open up the motor and check torque on the clutch assembly fasteners?" This thought had been eating at me ever since I saw the pictures of that clutch blowout on that F650GS Twin.... I'm kind of kicking myself that I didn't have them check it out when it was in for the 600 mile service.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:03 PM   #29
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Ahhhh..... Still no word from the dealer!
Old 05-01-2009, 02:55 PM   #30
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Just heard from the dealer. So here's the skinny. A clutch spring bolt (#19, top pic) backed out and tore up the inside of the clutch cover (#2, bottom pic). This inturn created little shards and chunks of metal to float around in the lower engine cavity. Due to good Austrian engine design, those pieces of metal didn't make it anywhere else in the engine. There are metal screens that pre-filter the oil between each of the engine cavities, filtering the oil before it moves to the next engine cavity. According to the BMW tech, the little pieces of metal that were in the bottom engine cavity did a lot of damage to the clutch cover, and a small amount of damage to some other things. All of the parts are on order what were damaged. I should be back to new and good to go in less than a week, if all the necessary parts are available in the States.

So all in all, thank the creator for those oil screens!

The Griz screwed with this post 05-01-2009 at 03:01 PM