Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #31
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
That's good news, and what's great about BMW is their part distribution system. Over here, if the parts are in stock at the warehouse, they arrive at the dealer's the very next day. If they are not available here, but are in stock in Germany, they arrive here in 3 to 5 days tops. My experience with parts from Germany has been 3 day turn around.

If parts are backordered at the factory, then patience is required. But it's great that my dealer can access stock status both here and in Germany from his computer.

Plus, BMW says they continue to produce parts for discontinued models for 30 years after the model has been discontinued.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:13 PM   #32
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,368
Good for you Griz.
This motor is so good, but we hear of so many catastrophic failures... it makes one wonder. Hope they get it right on your rebuild. Maybe this manual rebuild is the way to go!
Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Just heard from the dealer. So here's the skinny. A clutch spring bolt (#19, top pic) backed out and tore up the inside of the clutch cover (#2, bottom pic). This inturn created little shards and chunks of metal to float around in the lower engine cavity. Due to good Austrian engine design, those pieces of metal didn't make it anywhere else in the engine. There are metal screens that pre-filter the oil between each of the engine cavities, filtering the oil before it moves to the next engine cavity. According to the BMW tech, the little pieces of metal that were in the bottom engine cavity did a lot of damage to the clutch cover, and a small amount of damage to some other things. All of the parts are on order what were damaged. I should be back to new and good to go in less than a week, if all the necessary parts are available in the States.

So all in all, thank the creator for those oil screens!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #33
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,094
Yeah, well, we tend to be alarmed by the anomalies and ignore the expected. BMW's are still made to an expected high level of quality. Mine are running very well....
Old 05-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #34
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,889
Gee Griz , that does suck. I'm sure you'll be up and running very quickly. BMW service, for me in the past, has always been 1st rate.

Of course that leaves the question for the rest of us, does your clutch rattle like it's a Ducati ? (mine does) And does this mean your bolts are backing out ? Where will you be when they do ? Will the tow truck driver be a physco chainsaw killer ? Will your foot get blown off ? .......ok, you get the idea.
The KTM 990 had this same problem.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #35
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Does anyone have any inside info on BMW parts availability? Will the engine parts I need be available?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #36
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,117
Crap.... now I'm worried............

My clutch makes a bit of noise cold when the clutch is released and then a different noise when hot with the clutch released (but is then quiet when pulled in).....

I wonder if you could get a look at the heads of the clutch bolts using one of those fancy fiber optic cable/light deals? I hate to pop the side cover off just because I'm paranoid.... but mmmmmmmmmm

Jim

GRIZ:
There are two gear-rotor oil pumps on the engine. One I believe lubes the gears, the other providing the actual lubrication to the bearings (having first been passed thru the cooler and the fliter). I'm not 100% sure on this as the lubrication diagrams I've seen are not real clear...

Anyway, it does not appear to be difficult to gain access to the actual gear-rotor pumps via access plates on the side castings. Were I you, I would reqeest the mechanic inspect the pump assemblies for any "fines" that might have made it through the screen and then been hammered into the surface of the oil pump gears....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #37
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Were I you, I would reqeest the mechanic inspect the pump assemblies for any "fines" that might have made it through the screen and then been hammered into the surface of the oil pump gears....
And of course he'll tell you:
"ah, yea, I did that, nothing there Griz"

JR, Now Im wondering too of course. The LC8 motor was easy to check, the clutch basket having it's own seperate cover. You didn't even loose any oil. This one seems a bit more involved to remove. My bike is going in Monday am for the fuel tank venting issue. I might have them check the clutch bolts. Of course when I pick it up he'll tell me:
"ah, yea, I checked them DP, there good"

Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #38
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
And of course he'll tell you:
"ah, yea, I checked them DP, there good"

This is where a few dabs of "brittle" paint in not-so-obvious places or some sharpie marks on fasteners might come in handy....

Seriously ... we may be over reacting........?
Even with the "power of the internet" we only have 2 or 3 reported failures in the "community" ??? I need a beer..............
Old 05-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #39
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,106
I just got my F800GS back from the shop. It was there over 5 weeks for a clutch failure. There was no metal in the oil, the clutch just flat gave out. Pads were fried and you could smell it in the oil. 3625 miles on the bike at the time and when it died on me, I was in the middle of nowhere on a 4wd road from hell where no tow truck would ever come to pick up the bike. Abandoning the bike and hiking out was a seriously considered option at one point.

But then I pulled out the tool kit and let the cable adjuster for the clutch on the tranny out ALL the way. It was so loose the cable fell off once. I was able to get JUST enough grab, despite major slippage, to storm the last couple of hills (the path over which was laden with ruts and mortar type craters) and then coast down hill 4 miles to a ranger station. Then I was able to limp the bike 20 miles on pavement to civilization. A friend brought a trailer 120 miles to come get me.

Anyways, the final word was that they had no idea why it failed. Somehow it had just got out of adjustment. It was covered under warranty, although the phrase BMW Goodwill was used on the invoice.

Of course, now I'm constantly playing with the clutch lever trying to make sure there's enough movement before the revs kick up. But it sure is good to have the bike back. Since the original battlewing front was about to go bald (there was still a good amount of tread left on the rear oddly enough) I had them put a set of TKCs on it. I also went for some adjustable levers in the hopes that the thumb joint soreness I'm experiencing on the left hand might go away. I think a set of risers may be required for that as well.

It sounds like Griz's failure cause is different than mine, though. I'd have pressure for a quicker resolution, but given that I have two other bikes to ride and that I didn't want to experience another clutch failure in 3600 miles in the middle of nowhere, I was willing to give them the time they wanted.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 04:37 AM   #40
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Yea, thats the problem. If you ride on the road and it goes south. Not such a big deal. If you ride to no mans land like some of us do, it can be a big problem.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:55 AM   #41
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Ya know, Im riding my 800 this am on my way to get a tag (Garden State Tag O Rama) and Im thinking about what Griz was told about screens catching the shrapnel. OK, sounds logical enough, every bike Ive owned, or most, have screens. The latest being my 950 (2) and my Husky also (2). This does not include the filter. However, these screens were easily removable so they could be cleaned and logiclly so.
Now, if the 800 engine does in fact have screens where are they ? And if they cant be cleaned than that is as bad or worse then not having any screens. All it will accomplish is creating a choked orfice for oil flow over time. Severly restricting oil flow.
My other bikes screens have typiclly captured small debris such as gasket material and dirt and did in fact need cleaing with oil changes.
So, if the 800 has screens I'd love to see the schematic showing where they are.
Anyone ?

Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #42
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So, if the 800 has screens I'd love to see the schematic showing where they are.
Anyone ?
Item #4... but it looks like a fair amount of work to get to it...
I'd like to see the size of the mesh that is in it...

Can I put my next beer on your tab
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #43
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Nope, I didn't say there wasn't any screen, I was saying if there was one, its peculiar it's not accessible. But thanks for finding it. It looks like it screens the oil after it drops down from above ?
Ill have one with ya though JR, my treat of course.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #44
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
Item #4... but it looks like a fair amount of work to get to it...
I'd like to see the size of the mesh that is in it...

Can I put my next beer on your tab

I'm thinking that's just the oil pickup screen for the oil pump. Looking through the parts diagrams, it doesn't seem clear that there are screens between each compartment of the motor.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 11:08 AM   #45
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Nope, I didn't say there wasn't any screen, I was saying if there was one, its peculiar it's not accessible. But thanks for finding it. It looks like it screens the oil after it drops down from above ?
Ill have one with ya though JR, my treat of course.
DP: Sorry I didn't mean to imply anything negative....

The screen on my last bike was just a little bit finer than screen door screen no idea on this one.... and ... no I don't see any other filters vs. compartments of the bike except for the actual oil filter its self...............

sigh................

Jim