Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #76
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
Yeah, sure....
I guess you don't know the Lemon law works here. Your loss.
Benjava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #77
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjava
I guess you don't know the Lemon law works here. Your loss.
You may want to look up what the CA lemon law says, Benjava. One of the very basic requirements to get relief is allowing the dealer: "a reasonable number of repair attempts." Do you think any judge is going to consider ONE a reasonable number of attempts?

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #78
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
TMEX !
Attention please, when hot, does your clutch slightly rattle like a dry clutch and go silent when you pull that lever in thats being held on by that Chinese nut ?
(think Nancy Grace) Yes or no ?
DP:

1 vote in the YES colm here... not so loud it's scary but yeah.. pulling in the lever on hot bike quiets things down a bit.

I can't believe the nut is an "odd" size ... it's not metric and not English either... there's a conspiracy afoot here.... they don't want us dicking with the clutch unless we buy the special $147 BMW clutch wrench???
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #79
Benjava
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
You may want to look up what the CA lemon law says, Benjava. One of the very basic requirements to get relief is allowing the dealer: "a reasonable number of repair attempts." Do you think any judge is going to consider ONE a reasonable number of attempts?

David

Maybe you should

"(2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. "

I saw this happen on several occasions first hand while working in dealerships, not second hand rumor or internet myth
Old 05-03-2009, 11:28 PM   #80
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Maybe you should

"(2) the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. "

That's handy to know, but like I said, I wanted to make sure the cause was found. I have two other bikes I can ride. I was more interested in making sure the problem never occurs again than in getting the bike back right away.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:59 AM   #81
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
I have had "catastrophic clutch failure" on a couple of new bikes. Just unlucky, warranty fixed them.
Its unfortunate that not everything is 100% bullet proof. Things just bust sometimes.
I do not think the clutch on my F8 is any different than any other F-series BMW I have ridden.
Just bad luck Griz my friend, I hope its back on the road very soon.
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 AM   #82
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Maybe you should

I saw this happen on several occasions first hand while working in dealerships, not second hand rumor or internet myth
D'oh! You're right, Benjava. I didn't read far enough on the CA AG web site.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:38 AM   #83
Roonie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon2
While we're on the subject of clutches...

I just had my 600 mile and mentioned to the dealer that when putting it in 1st gear it "clunks" a little bit and the bike jumps ever so slightly.
They adjusted the freeplay, said it had too much. There's less freeplay now but only a little bit less "clunk", etc.

Anybody else other than Docking Pilot have these symtoms as well?
Yes I have these symptoms as well.... in fact it is in for its first 600 mile service currently (really at 980 miles) and I am having them look at this issue as it doesn't seem right to me and this was before reading this thread. A hard clunk when putting it in gear. Will see if any adjustment they do when I get it back.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #84
Benjava
?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
D'oh! You're right, Benjava. I didn't read far enough on the CA AG web site.

David
Of course they don't make it easy

Another small item that most people don't know, especially the service writers at many dealers. There is a federal emissions warranty for 5 years and/or 16___ miles (I forget the axact number). That includes ANYTHING that could effect emmisions. From the brain box to the mufflers, exhaust gaskets to plug wires, you name it. the whole ignition system, fuel system whatever. most dealers will not tell you about it if you don't already know.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #85
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,652
I've heard the clutch plates rattle a bit when disengaged, as well as some other sounds coming from down there, especially when hot. So far everything I've heard has been typical mechanical noise and I haven't thought twice about it. I've had similar sound on many bikes. I really doubt that a loose bolt on the spring is causing increased noise, by the time a spring(s) is that loose I'd image there would be other symptoms.

I'm not saying there aren't loose bolts on your clutch, just I doubt that's what's causing the mechanical noise. Personally, I'm not going to think much of it unless we see a pattern or at least a few more cases. If this does turn out to be more than an isolated case and it concerns me, there's a very simple solution. Next oil change I'll pop the side cover off an have a look to ease my mind, maybe it'll cost me a $20 gasket and about a beers worth of time, and I'll either ride on worry free or see a problem an fix it with the turn of a wrench.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 AM   #86
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
I've heard the clutch plates rattle a bit when disengaged, as well as some other sounds coming from down there, especially when hot. So far everything I've heard has been typical mechanical noise and I haven't thought twice about it. I've had similar sound on many bikes. I really doubt that a loose bolt on the spring is causing increased noise, by the time a spring(s) is that loose I'd image there would be other symptoms.

I'm not saying there aren't loose bolts on your clutch, just I doubt that's what's causing the mechanical noise. Personally, I'm not going to think much of it unless we see a pattern or at least a few more cases. If this does turn out to be more than an isolated case and it concerns me, there's a very simple solution. Next oil change I'll pop the side cover off an have a look to ease my mind, maybe it'll cost me a $20 gasket and about a beers worth of time, and I'll either ride on worry free or see a problem an fix it with the turn of a wrench.

Quit being so logical, we're trying to have a bitch fest.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #87
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
Quit being so logical, we're trying to have a bitch fest.

Maybe I'll join in more if mine grenades on me this week.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:52 AM   #88
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
TMEX !
Attention please, when hot, does your clutch slightly rattle like a dry clutch and go silent when you pull that lever in thats being held on by that Chinese nut ?
(think Nancy Grace) Yes or no ?
Not that I can tell.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #89
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,881
interesting. I can tell, even with ear plugs in. Oh well, its at the dealer right now, he'll check it out.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #90
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
interesting. I can tell, even with ear plugs in. Oh well, its at the dealer right now, he'll check it out.
My Ducati and KTM's make quite a racket, so I am not completely deaf.