User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #1
RockyRaccoon OP
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,230
Cry Fatal crash on Sly Park Road

Our local newspaper had a story today about a 47-year-old Harley rider who was killed when a pickup pulled out from a cross-street in front of him.

The rider was thrown from the bike and then run over by a car in the oncoming lane who did not have time to avoid him. He died instantly. The paper provided no details regarding the protection worn by the rider, but it may not have made a difference under the circumstances. The paper said the pickup driver was cited and the affair is being referred to the local DA who will decide if prosecution is warranted.

The rider had recently moved here from the Bay Area.

Sly Park Road turns off of Hwy 50 at Pollock Pines and is frequently used by riders accessing Mormon Emigrant Trail, which connects to Hwy 88.
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:02 AM   #2
Peachmaan
Boneless chicken

Oddometer: 429
One less Harley Freak to give you shit........ (no offence)

RIP-MC bro'..............

How long before the MCing breed will get exterminated????
Peachmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:36 AM   #3
Ultrafirebike
Flaccid Member

Oddometer: 1,081
Pissed Harley Freak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachmaan

Screw you bitch! No Offense (properly spelled)
This Harley Freak has been riding for 13 years..also owned an RT...it was the RT that got totalled when a pickup turned in frnt of me Feb28th this year. I was lucky...I just broke my knee. I'm getting an Adventure next week, but I still ride my Harley Ultra....so why the prejudice?

Anytime you think you can keep up with us Harley Freaks...then let's ride. I don't mean speed either, but endurance...

You should be ashamed...a man lost his life and will probably affect many more as well.
Please put yourself into self imposed exile for a punishment.

Gregg Burger
Oaklyn, NJ
Ultrafirebike/Firepole
IBA #14019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckGirl
I'm all about sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvtRide
If you don't wear any panties, you can't get em in a wad.
Ultrafirebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Motobrandt
Grrrrrrrrr

Oddometer: 628
Quote:

That's just wrong dude. Even if you really don't hate "Harley Freaks" this is the worst possible place to joke around.

It really really sucks when a Motorcyclist loses their life. No matter what they ride.

condolences..
Old 07-02-2004, 11:04 AM   #5
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt
Our local newspaper had a story today about a 47-year-old Harley rider who was killed when a pickup pulled out from a cross-street in front of him.

The rider was thrown from the bike and then run over by a car in the oncoming lane who did not have time to avoid him. He died instantly. The paper provided no details regarding the protection worn by the rider, but it may not have made a difference under the circumstances. The paper said the pickup driver was cited and the affair is being referred to the local DA who will decide if prosecution is warranted.

The rider had recently moved here from the Bay Area.

Sly Park Road turns off of Hwy 50 at Pollock Pines and is frequently used by riders accessing Mormon Emigrant Trail, which connects to Hwy 88.
Kurt, if you hear anymore about this horrible crash, will you please post it? Perhaps the rider would have wanted the rest of the community to learn from the accident.

I wonder if there was anything he could have done to avoid the accident. Man, his life ended so suddenly and horribly.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:22 AM   #6
Rad
Just me

Oddometer: 12,160
Quote:

It is so weird that people do stuff like this in Face Plant. I think it is a way to feel the death was justified and that they will not be next.

I posted a story here of a beautiful young local girl, with only a permit, ride’n to fast on her 4 day old FZ-1, die'n in my town. One person responded that she got what she deserved ride’n reckless with only a permit on a 130hp bike. Very sad response, they did not understand she was just a beautiful dumb kid who did not survive her first mistake the way I did and many others have.
Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 01:11 PM   #7
RockyRaccoon OP
Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer: 59,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by He-Lob
Kurt, if you hear anymore about this horrible crash, will you please post it? Perhaps the rider would have wanted the rest of the community to learn from the accident.

I wonder if there was anything he could have done to avoid the accident. Man, his life ended so suddenly and horribly.

The only other info in the story was that there were skid-marks indicating the rider had time to react and hit the brakes.

It's not clear how fast he was going or what options he might have had or whether he was killed by the initial impact, the subsequent impact with the road where he landed or by the car that then ran over him.

Sad story.

If I go riding this weekend, my route will probably take me that way. If there's anything more to share from observing the site, I'll let you know.
RockyRaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 02:57 PM   #8
Slaniac
Martini elbow

Oddometer: 10,952
Bluhduh

Quote:

Bad form peachpit, really bad form. We are all of us just a little bit less with the passing of a fellow motorcyclist. Show some class next time.

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past"
F. Scott Fitzgearld

Regnat Populus.
Slaniac
Slaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:54 PM   #9
sacto929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Jerry Gray, the rider (RIP), was a co-worker of mine. I didn't know him personally, but apparently he made quite an impression as his entire department (NDT) attended his services yesterday.

I only put two and two together earlier this morning when I rode the XR out to X-ray to view some film. The guys out there were still broken up about it.

I will respectfully inquire as to any gear he may have used, but I don't think it would have mattered.
Old 07-08-2004, 01:11 PM   #10
MikeO
Wage slave...

Oddometer: 6,629
Quote:
Shame on you - No offence? - Plenty taken...

Mike
Old 07-08-2004, 03:44 PM   #11
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,757
sorry to hear this. allways a bummer when someone in the motorcycle community dies whether while riding or not. I dont see where the brand of machine makes any difference when the issue is life. peachboy your ignorance has been well expressed.

My heartfelt sympathy to all who were close to Jerry Gray

chain
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:45 AM   #12
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad
who did not survive her first mistake the way I did and many others have.
As others have said, poor form from the peach pit.

It is an absolute wonder to me that I survived my first year on a bike... and whenever I start to get sanctimonius and feel hard toward people who ride w/o gear, or ride dumb, or whatever, I remind myself that but for the grace of god there goes I. I ran into some great riders through the HSTA that set me straight, and without them, I'm sure I'd be a goner by now.

In addition, a good friend from Denver, who is an ATTGATT kind of guy and who I know to ride both very well and very safely (in both instances, better than I!) was caught out on gravel a few weeks back and wound up getting trapped between a big rock and his R11S. Broken Back, will be OK, but 5 weeks in the hospital.

It is tempting for those of us who feel that we ride well, and manage risk well, to think that other motorcyclists (harley riders, squids, whatever) are different and that we're somehow superior. It's just not true- our odds may be a little better, but pickups and gravel and the rest can make us all just as dead. Them is us, in other words...

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote