Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2009, 02:31 PM   #31
Spyderweber
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Thanks for the report! I just got back from Turkey a couple of weeks ago. Wonderful place! But I was wishing I was on a motorcycle! The Cappadocia area is also amazing! I lived in Nurnberg as a kid and learned to ski in Garmisch, and have been to a lot of the places you have ridden through, so I am enjoying the whole trip so far! I am really looking forward to your journey through Iran!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #32
Cloud9
I was HERE?

Oddometer: 1,877
Wonderful to see the change in scenery, culture, and history! Very good! Thanks for the ride.
Cloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:14 PM   #33
strommer
Ride for balance

Oddometer: 374
Excellent write up.

I don't know where exactly in Turkey you are right now, but I - a fellow ADVrider - am in Ankara.

Please PM me if you should need assistance. Should you pass through Ankara, I am happy to brew you some real coffe. Or buying you a real brew.

Murat
strommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM   #34
pikipiki
next!

Oddometer: 65
Brilliant! I love the bike, and your story is really interesting. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the rest of the trip.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #35
FILLETI
mild asphalt allergy

Oddometer: 184
good stuff, keep it coming
Old 05-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #36
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.

@GSaar: I bought this bike for the trip and it is registered in Germany

@gonefirefighting: I've just been to Lebanon riding ... a snowboard. So I will give it a miss on this trip.

@strommer (Murat): Thanks for the offer. I'll be passing through Ankara on my way back from Iran. I'll have to have a service there as the bike is still under warranty. I'll love to get in touch. I'll give you a shout as I get closer.

As far as the Ten goes, I won't pass judgment until I'm back home safely. So far so good, runs like a champ.

Those who have asked for higher res pix, just click on them and you shall see.
Boarder06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 PM   #37
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kaunos to Kas

I had to work my way back around the lake from Kaunos and so got to enjoy it all over. Just past Kaunos I got a lovely view of the river delta.

I almost hit this suicidal turtle who tried to cross the road. Saved the little bugger.

I had lunch at a lake side restaurant in laid back Koeycegiz.

Getting fuel in Turkey is always interesting. First, youíll never run out. There are gas stations everywhere and a lot of them are huge enterprises with attached mini markets. At around EUR 1.50 fuel is the most expensive I have seen and it pays to look around as there can be quite a difference between stations. However, the price on the road sign doesnít always agree with whatís on the pump. The stars aligned at this station. As soon as I unmounted my tank was refueled by an assistant while a female assistant offered my some lemon scented hand cleaner, the same you get after each meal here. She also offered me some tea with my fuel. Now thatís service. When I paid with my credit card I noticed the eclectic collection of payment processing machines. There must be many competing systems here but my cashier handled the transaction with a big smile and without a glitch.

Shortly later I finally figured out what the water that is running out of pipes along the road is for. I had seen this many times already but could never make sense of it. Itís a Turkish car wash. Iím still a little puzzled though. The water always runs and it seems to be an incredible waste of water.

After getting stuck in a traffic jam on a bridge, due to a May day celebration, I reached the coast again. Once again nice views of the Aegean see.

The coastal road took me straight to Kas. I have dreaded this part of the trip. In my imagination the coast is packed with concrete bunker hotels filled with Speedo clad all inclusive European drunk tourists. Well, that part is still to come but a guy I met in Selcuk recommended Kas and I liked what I saw. I pitched my tent next to an Austrian couple, which came the long way up from Tanzania on their bikes.

They told me of the cold weather ahead and so Iíve settle in for a few days, enjoying the good life, hoping things warm up a bit in the Northeast.

A nice sun halo could be seen on the day of my arrival.

P.S.: The much dreaded Speedo man did make an appearance.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:25 PM   #38
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Kas to Side

A thunderstorm woke me up my last night in Kas. The tent was shaking violently from the wind. There was a lot of thunder and lightning but not that much rain actually. In the morning I managed to pack my tent away dry and was hoping it wouldnít be so bad. Well, as soon as I left the city limit it started raining.

When I stopped at the ruins of Myra the rain even increased and I decided to have lunch and watch the soaking wet Russian tourists in their beach outfits instead. Just after lunch it cleared long enough to take some pictures of the Lycian rock tombs.

I didnít linger long and made my way down the coastal highway to the east. I hit Antalya during rush hour and of course the rain picked up to a sizable downpour. I pressed on until I reached Side. A bit of a shocker with all the tourists from the nearby hotels descending onto this little village. I parked my bike and starting looking for a place to stay. I found a nice place with parking, hot shower and heating. Perfect, now I just had to convince the official manning the gate to let me drive into the village. He basically just ignored me and I decided to drive around the gate
In the morning I walked around the ruins for about an hour before breakfast.

Side Ampitheater

During breakfast heavy rain started and I was debating weather I should leave or stay put. The owner of the place checked the forecast for me and it looked like rain for the foreseeable future everywhere I wanted to go. Might es well leave thenÖ
Old 05-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #39
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Side to Anamur

During the ride today it rained on and off. Clearly, not a day for a beach holiday

I saw one Harley rider today. He had no rain gear. The Harley riders must be a tougher breed. Despite the rain it was an enjoyable ride with nice views of the coast and twisties going up and down the mountains.

Once I reached Anamur I found myself a place to stay, unloaded my bags and set out for Mamure Castle. It was originally built by the Romans and later enlarged and modified by the Byzantine Empire and the Crusaders. Rainy days have its advantage too. There was nobody around and I had a whole castle to to myself. There are no barriers stopping you from going anywhere. So I spent some time exploring!

I finished the day with a visit to Anemurium. The site impresses with the sheer number of structures and its great beach side location. The town was built between c. 100 BC and AD 600.

I later found out Anamur has mutated from the Greek Anemurium, meaning windy point. I wish I would have known that. I got almost blown off the road by a gust between Anamurium and the town.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:29 PM   #40
Boarder06 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Anamur to Kizkalesi

I left Anamur at the crack of 10:30 and made my way to Kizkalesi. Once again the weather looked questionable and I had my rain gear on.

There were lots of road sections under construction and Iím glad I didnít have to go through this in yesterdayís rain. This was one of the better ones

Other sections were just a total mud bath still. I had lunch in a nice spot by the sea.

Along on more twisty roads through some fertile agricultural areas.

First stop were some caves. Which one would you chose?

I opted for the Chasm of Heaven and made my way down.

Arriving early in Kizkalesi I had plenty of time to look around and chose a place to stay for the night. This is a nice little place with a couple of old castles thrown in for good measure
Maiden castle

Korykos Castle

Not a beach day

Exercise instead

Atatuerk square
Old 05-07-2009, 12:15 AM   #41
strommer
Ride for balance

Oddometer: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarder06
Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.

@GSaar: I bought this bike for the trip and it is registered in Germany

@gonefirefighting: I've just been to Lebanon riding ... a snowboard. So I will give it a miss on this trip.

@strommer (Murat): Thanks for the offer. I'll be passing through Ankara on my way back from Iran. I'll have to have a service there as the bike is still under warranty. I'll love to get in touch. I'll give you a shout as I get closer.

As far as the Ten goes, I won't pass judgment until I'm back home safely. So far so good, runs like a champ.

Those who have asked for higher res pix, just click on them and you shall see.

Ok, I'll look forward to hearing from you. Yamaha dealership is about 1 km. from where I live.

Have a good ride. You may want to consider coming through Cappadocia on your way back, if it works with your plans.
strommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:07 AM   #42
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
Fabulous ride report. Fabulous photos. Where was this one taken, can you remember?

You rode so many of the same roads I did last August/September (though you went much further east), you even took the same photos - though yours are better - what's your camera? (that's my excuse)
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 AM   #43
Bowes
Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer: 214
Excellent, photographed and expressed report - a pleasure to read; THANKYOU! Please keep it comming, I am making lots of notes on your route and travel information for my trip hopefully later this year.

Offroad Riding - Lap of Oman for Mary 2008: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416409

The 8th Wonder of the World Discovered in Oman: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=476324
Bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:09 AM   #44
Rellik
o-KAY!

Oddometer: 589
This great stuff! I too would like to see some larger versions of some of those pics. I love that bike too, I wish we could get them here.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
Farmer_Ted
Crazy Kid!

Oddometer: 303

Awesome!!!!! Keep it up!

Current Ride - 2006 Suzuki SV650S
Farmer_Ted is offline   Reply With Quote