User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #1
JoeSlump OP
JoeSlump

Oddometer: 161
Dalton and Dempster

Rode the Dalton to Dead Horse in June 2009 solo on 2006 R1200GS. Had no problems. (though a bit of ice storm and lots of mud).

Thinking of going back and doing the Dempster in 2014 or 15. It looks more challenging. I am just beginning my planning.

Looking for comments from those who have done both.

Thanks

Joe

WHO IS JOHN GALT?
JoeSlump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #2
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 740
Welcome back.

Recalling the issues you had on your Dalton ride, I'd stay home.

IMO the Dempster is the most scenic ride up north, at least to the Northwest Territory border.

After the first ferry crossing the gravel gets tricky and the ride to Inuvik is mainly to be endured as the Tundra all looks the same most of the way but go if you need to say you've been there.

Couple pics of Dempster in my 2010 RR.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=doug+dawson

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 12:36 AM
holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:22 AM   #3
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
I agree. The Dempster is just another way to get to the Circle though it is scenic as far as the border with NWT. Then it reminds me of riding on a dike across a sea of tundra. We could see a week ahead (advantageous when you can see a big truck coming and get over on the edge to let them fly by!) And there is little to see in Inuvik though there's more there than in Deadhorse. As for challenging, we didn't find anyting challenging about the Demptster but weather was good and road dry. That can make all the difference in the world.

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
selkins
No hay banda!

Oddometer: 1,462
Meh. The Dempster isn't so bad in NWT. Comparable (almost scenically identical) to the TransLab, but two fun river crossings thrown in. South of the NWT border it is fantastic.
selkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,919
McRuss,

Did you do the Dempster this year after D2D? The Dempster was awesome this year. I did it right after D2D this year and it was perfect, aside from the gravel between the ferries. I was limited to 55-60 mph for fuel management, but could have easily done 70. Now I did see how it could treacherous in the rain. My advice to people doing it for the first time is plan four days for the Dempster and go from there. We did it in two and a half cause the road conditions could not have been better. Even in the gravel on a Tiger 955i I probably averaged 50mph. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #6
McRuss
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
McRuss,

Did you do the Dempster this year after D2D? The Dempster was awesome this year. I did it right after D2D this year and it was perfect, aside from the gravel between the ferries.
No, we went over the Top on Sat after D2D. I rode the Dempster many years ago, very little gravel, mostly hard pack dirt and go as fast as you wanted. It was a little dusty in the NWT but the water trucks were working some.

As for the awesomness of the Dempster and/or Dalton, I grew up in the mountains of SouthWest Colorado and I guess it takes more to impress me. (I really liked the Glen Highway though, one of the best in AK that I've seen.)

Colorado native, doin' time in Texas
McRuss is offline   Reply With Quote