User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2014, 01:32 AM   #1
Backoutonthehighway OP
I ride w/ Lewddites

Oddometer: 590
Pissed CHEAPER THAN THERAPY 2014: 10 Days out West

I've spent all my free time the last three weeks catching up on ride reports - too many to mention all of them, but three in particular have really pissed me off!

Dennis, aka AntiHero

Ed, aka Lalo, aka flyingdutchman

Sheldon, aka rideforsmiles

And to be clear, they pissed me off at me. Why the hell am I sitting here reading when I could be riding?!. So here I go...

ETD: October 2

Quick Post-ride Summary:
Towing from 65 miles away: $400
Replacement of the right side mirror: $275
Roaming around Wyoming on a bike meant to stay on pavement: priceless!
New friends:

_BLS7446

Oops!

_BLS8078

Yellowstone

_BLS8503-Edit

On the Oregon Trail

_BLS8787

Some of the Rough Stuff

_BLS9255

Mud Bath

_BLS9272

Only the finest accommodations!

_BLS9297

And climbing right back on the gravel!

_BLS9456

3547.8 miles, 12 days, 6 states, 2 dirt-naps, 1 tow, and a whole hell of a lot of fun!

wholetrip

Backoutonthehighway screwed with this post 10-20-2014 at 06:02 PM Reason: added post ride summary...
Backoutonthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Backoutonthehighway OP
I ride w/ Lewddites

Background: for anyone that gives a twisted driveshaft

I always wanted a motorcycle since I could say "mo-mo-cyk-cyk." Parents wouldn't let me get one. By the time I was 18 I had enough sense to know why they didn't want me to buy one, so I didn't. (I generally have only two speeds - full-throttle and dead-in-the-water) But the desire never left, so in 2005 I made an agreement with the spousal unit that I'd get my license and if I still wanted one a year later, I was going to buy one.

It really was more of a statement than an agreement (this is called foreshadowing for those of you paying attention), so I did. And in 2006 I did. And it was everything I thought it was going to be.

And 7 months later I was served divorce papers.

And I bought a new bike.

And 3 months later I met the love of my life - Annie.

And 3 months later I was served layoff papers - me and my entire department.

And so I did what any relatively new motorcycle owner would do, right? I left on an epic first motorcycle tour with no experience, no plan, and no timetable. It ended up being 7500+ miles over 35 days. (It was written up in two issues of Motorcycle Cruiser in the summer of '08 as Cheaper than Therapy.)

I only came home when I was offered a new job.

Annie was still there and supportive when I returned and so I started the trajectory of starting my own business so I'd have time to ride. (No one else was going to give me four weeks off a year to ride!)

And I did. And it worked. And I had some monumental trips. And then, poor forsaken me found ADVrider. All of a sudden my rides didn't look so monumental. I felt like a three year old holding up a crayon drawing and yelling 'Look, see, see?" "What is it?" "It's a mo-mo-cyk-cyk!"

So I started thinking about taking even more time off. Maybe years. Maybe never coming back. But then Annie doesn't ride, so I've either got to come back or make enough $ to fly her to where ever the hell I am, so I got into over work mode and all of a sudden my boss became a real ass and I find myself over two years without a significant ride.

Reading AH and Ed and Sheldon reminded me that I'm the dumb-ass making the decisions, so make a different one. And, as I said above "So here I go..."

One quick stop first - Tiny and Whammo host this awesome gig in Northern California in the Fall called Redwood Rendezvous in September every year and this is number VIII! So before I go clear my head and get my back out on the highway, I'm going to go see some fellow inmates up in Rio Nido this weekend. We camp behind a bar, what could possibly go wrong?!

Backoutonthehighway screwed with this post 09-25-2014 at 01:46 AM
Old 09-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,037
IN!!

Old 09-27-2014, 07:18 AM   #4
AntiHero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,092
Excellent. Very pleased I could be a devil's advocate for bad decisions! Keep it comin'. :)
AntiHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #5
acidman1968
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146

Alrighty then! Let's hear the rest!
acidman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:43 AM   #6
MotoBoss
Bad Influence

Oddometer: 3,544

Let's see how this goes!

AdventureRiderRadio
Donate To ADV

MotoBoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
statsman
Weekend Warrior

Oddometer: 85
Lucky you didn't start your own company. Trust me, you will never work as long or as hard for someone else as you would for yourself. You would never ride.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
Backoutonthehighway OP
I ride w/ Lewddites

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post
Excellent. Very pleased I could be a devil's advocate for bad decisions! Keep it comin'. :)
Hey Dennis, glad you are aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
IN!!

But of course you are! Great time this weekend my friend - have a grand ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
Lucky you didn't start your own company. Trust me, you will never work as long or as hard for someone else as you would for yourself. You would never ride.
Oh, but my friend, that's the point. I did start it. And I'm giving myself some time off.

Just spent the weekend at Rio Nido with the usual crew. Here's a couple of pics - the rest will have to wait until this entire ride is over. Three more days in the office...

Gerg riding Pope Valley...

And the usual Suspects telling lies...

Old 09-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #9
Backoutonthehighway OP
I ride w/ Lewddites

Wink

Only one more day of work and I get to pack and leave. After I change the oil and final drive oil of course.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,646
Old 10-02-2014, 06:10 AM   #11
Max Wedge
ADVenture mowing

Oddometer: 417
As a fan of bad decisions*, I am in!

*As I often tell Mrs. Wedge, "I'm not smart and you can't make me!"

-you never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office.
Max Wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:45 PM   #12
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,312
Ok slacker, it's been two days... haven't left yet?

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #13
Backoutonthehighway OP
I ride w/ Lewddites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg View Post
Ok slacker, it's been two days... haven't left yet?
No interwebs last night in Yosemite. Report to follow.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #14
Backoutonthehighway OP
I ride w/ Lewddites

Never as planned, usually as expected. This call, that call, another email, change the oil. Got out around 2PM on Thursday. East was the plan and Yosemite is due east of me and easily achievable.

Along the way, Yellowstone comes to mind and I made a stop to hydrate, reconsider and look at my route options. Say hello to a couple of HD riders who are gassing up and look to be out on a day ride. No other real options, so Yosemite it is and as I kill the last of my drink, one of them walks over and asks me how do they find a place to spend the night in Yosemite.

Turns out this isn't a day ride. They are French, and it’s their first time in California, first time on Harleys , and it’s their first time trying to pump gas from a California pump.

They claim to have camping equipment, so I said no problem, follow me. It’s still early in the afternoon, so remembering my first time through Yosemite, I introduce them to the Iron Door Saloon in Groveland and suggest we do a loop through the valley before we look for a campsite.

This is Guillaume and Nicolas inside the Iron Door, oldest Saloon in California.

They’ve been planning this trip for over a year and have a two week loop planned out that will take them though Vegas, Bryce, Monument Valley, Grand Canyon, Lake Havasu City, Thousand Oaks, LA, and then up Hwy 1. Sounds like they’ve done their homework on the route. Maybe not so much for the camping.

I enjoyed showing them Yosemite and helping them getting some photos they would have undoubtedly missed on their own.

As the sun set, we slow rolled through the valley to Curry Village where we ate dinner and then camped at Crane Flat. I expected great entertainment as they began to set up their tent in the dark for the first time, but they managed to have it up about as quick as me. And with only a limited amount of what I can only imagine were French curses.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:09 PM   #15
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,037
Those wacky French!!!

Carry on, mate!!