Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2009, 08:13 PM   #1531
roswellj
ARGHventurer

Oddometer: 802
dont you just hate it when they move germany like that?

In all seriousness I've been following your thread for a few months now and I have to say that whilst it's your journey I feel as you've let us be a part of it by sharing such intimate details of it. I hope with everything i've got that Dot makes it and I have no doubt that you would find a way to make her make it if she doesn't want to do it herself. Keep travelling, look forward to the rest of your journey.
And god said unto moses come forth... but he came fifth and won a teapot
roswellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:41 PM   #1532
ILYA77
rider

Oddometer: 38
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwdoug
its just the other side of europe!

три ден па иж

(three days by Izh)

Doug
amerorussian?

Три дня на Иже.
ILYA77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:17 AM   #1533
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Well, another day, another 300 kays passed beneath Dorothy's rear wheel. Incredible, utterly incredible. The vibration's still there at 60 and she still don't sound sweet but on she goes.

Yesterday when I got RTWDougs message with the Kiev contact details in I gave them a ring. This is it I thought, I'll stop in Kiev for the night and get them to help me find a mechanic the next morning. The lady answered and was oh so happy to hear from a friend of Doug's. She said sure, it wouldn't be a problem, they could help no sweat.

There was just one snag. They weren't back in Kiev 'til tomorrow. (today)

So at 5pm in a MacDonalds car park somewhere in Kiev I said 'well Dorothy, what do you want to do?' And you know what she replied...

'Ride mother fucker ride.'

And that's exactly what we did, blazing a glorious sunset trail as we conquered another 140 kays before bedtime. It was the call of the road; it was just too damn loud to sit and wait in Kiev, we had to move on, to keep on keepin on as some of you guys say. Christ knows how long this whirlwind's going to carry on for, all the way to England we hope, but one thing's for sure I doubt very much even I can stop her. It's Dorothy you see, she's taken over, controlling the whip. And if she says ride then damn it, that's what we do.

Last night for a bit of a pamper I stayed in a motel. It was actually because I couldn't find a good spot to camp, but it was real nice being able to peel the clothes off after two weeks in the tent and sleep without one hand on the knife. I had a shower, recharged the laptop and iPod, even unpacked and repacked just for the hell of it. I had light, no mosquitoes, even a mirror to look in and say 'oh shit, it's a BeeGee.'

It's been raining today. Not long, not too heavy, but it's a reminder, along with the bitter cold, that autumn is snapping closely at our heels. The leaves are also falling which is no good as they provide the cover that shelters our tent pitch from those passing on the road. Hopefully they hold out as long as Dorothy and we can celebrate autumn's true arrival with a cup of tea and some nice thick toast besides a British fireplace.

At this pace I calculated , we could be in Dover THIS saturday, not next. (just been on route planner and it's almost exaclty 2000 kays from here)

I know some of you will say slow down, sight see a little. But I tell you, nothing we could possibly see or do between here and England can match that blast of ecstacy I dream will hit us when we touch down in Dover. It's what I spend the day imagining and reliving over and over again. It's what keeps the mind focused in what iseasily the toughest part of the whole journey. I feel the pressure like never before. I know what I said about the spirit of Dorothy and how it will always live on, but I want more than anything in this world to make it all the way on this bike, on this engine, in this state.

It's weird and I don't really know how to explain it, but to seek help somehow seems not right. Like finding a mechanic. You'll laugh but it feels like cheating... cheating fate I suppose. I couldn't even accept a pair of warmer gloves off Claudia on the BMW when she offered them. I had to carry on riding in the mismatched pair I've had for the last five months with the socks given to me by the German who called me 'gay' over the top. There's no logic in it I know. But it's how I feel and think it's also why it feels so right to keep on riding while we can. Even in Kiev last night I was actually relieved we had the excuse to carry on, as that's what 'Dorothy' wanted to do.

My only worry is the Ukraine border. I realised last night that the cock at customs never gave me the stamped form he should have. No doubt it'll mean another 5 hour day being asked for bribes while being told 'big trouble.' I'll be real happy once I'm in the EU and can sail through the borders without having to deal with these tits.

But never mind...

As for that 'stash', I do have to clear up before any accussations fly that the only drugs we carried over the Ukraine border were the pills of madness kindly supplied by the nine months we've spent on the road. You should try them, they really are quite magnificent. And legal.

Okay, I've waffled enough. I'm going to have another look at Google Earth and scribble a few directions in my diary before getting back on the road. Hopefully this rain will stay off and we can get within a whisker of the Polish border tonight, camp, then cross in the morning.

Until the end, Nathan and Dorothy.

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 09-13-2009 at 05:37 AM
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:49 AM   #1534
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
Now thats the Nate we are used too. Who cares if you go through Europe so fast, it will be there tomorrow and to you, going to Germany would be like me hitting the edge of my driveway.

Send us a picture from Dover.
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:08 AM   #1535
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Game Over. I know you've been riding with us from the start so we appreciate that.

Exes, I forgot to say, Tessa look likes she needs a quick pamper and a long ride. She'll do you proud.

And long live Dash from a few pages back. Awesome.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:22 AM   #1536
KLEaner
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
Nathan,

I have held on for so long that I am absolutely busting... reading you and Dot's posts, dreaming (I have actually done something similar but smaller before) of a ride such as this.....

But my friend - you are absolutely crackers - I really hope you get a serious mental health check on return to the UK (incarceration almost a gimme I reckon)

Go Dot Go!! Go Nate Go!! Home to a pommie winter BRRR!!

Good Luck!
Ian

... was expecting 100K from this bike; now aiming for 150K ...
KLEaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #1537
Nicky Vaux
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Nathan, very nice report and very very nice pictures. Met you in Pakistan, but just registered with this site. Keep going buddy you nearly there. Good luck for the last 3000k, Nicky.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:30 AM   #1538
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
So very close now Nate
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:40 AM   #1539
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey Nicky,

Great to hear from you. How are you guys, in India preparing for a flight Thailand if memory serves me correctly.

But as I'm now officialy certified as mental (thanks KLeaner) then it probably won't.

I don't know if the kumyaya symbol's the right one but I liked it, so that's what I used.

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 09-13-2009 at 06:15 AM
Old 09-13-2009, 07:04 AM   #1540
jscompto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
closer and closer nate and dot. keep moving at your own pace and do what you want to do. thanks for the update!!
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #1541
enceladus
no preocuparse

Oddometer: 42
vibration

Nate,
Did you check if you haven't got a loose engine mount bolt, or possibly missing one. Look for a hole that goes all the way thru the engine. If you lost it on the road you might have missed it.
Just a thought,
enceladus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM   #1542
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,439
That mad insane push to get there at the end of an extended trip. I remember it although it has been a few years. Got home and left a few days later. But I was changed and I imagine you are as well. You will likely never be quite the same again. I like the change it suits me and I hope it does you as well. I have continued to follow your trip since the very early days as have so many others. The mad rush home, enjoy it Nathan.
olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #1543
captain crunch
huckleberry

Oddometer: 709
"PS> I need a map. I've just looked on google earth and realised Germany's not where I thought it was."

I just love that quote. Somehow it defines your whole trip. Awesome report by the way.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #1544
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermin
Dearest NathanThePostMan

You magnificent bastard
You have snatched the pebble from my hand grasshopper!!! Most riders have "too much to loose" to try something cool like your trip I figure if you have "too much to loose" you just plain have "too much".

And I know this is hard to believe at this stage but should Dots physical existence be compromised and she is melted down into 1000 Robby Williams lunchboxes she will rise again for as long as there are tired and shitty bikes on earth, by god, there are tired and shitty guys like you and me to give them life and glory.

On this god forsaken earth I bow to only two men NathanThePostman and RTWDoug

Hugs, kisses and a vigorous doggy leg humpin
I second that exactly, Nate!

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:01 PM   #1545
Kamala
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,532
Rock On Nathan, Hang tough Dot!