Oddometer: 2,944
Laugh Dot! Dot! Dot! Dot! Dot! Dot!

Nathan the Postman Rocks!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #212
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Hiya guys,

Sorry I've been absent for a few days. The days have quickly been counting down to Nepal so just been packing and planning - something I'm not that used to.

Later this afternoon i'm off to settle the bill at the cargo company and then back to try and fathom how exactly I'm going to carry all the stuff I forgot to put in the crate;

Explained in great waffling detail here;

And here's a couple of pics of what Dot looked like before she went in the box.

I tried to trace the source of the vibration before I put her in the box and think I've narrowed it down to the brakes. Rocking the front forks didn't produce any signs of looseness, there was no noise, and I'd noticed a slice grumbling from the brakes when I pushed her the other day.

Is it possible for the brakes to cause the vibration; bearings perhaps?
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #213
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,595
Hi Nathan,
good going so far!
a couple ideas on the vibrations....
does it do it all the time? only under load? when you pull the clutch in & coast? (do those 110's even have a clutch? I know some of the 90's didnt)
if its wheel bearings, it will usually squeal, not vibrate, as once it gets to the vibrate stage, its very close to the 'grenade' stage.
you dont want this.
check the wheels to see if they are hot. bad bearings cause alot of heat.
when you get back on it, try different things to see if the vibration goes away, if it vibrates when you rev it up in neutral, things like that. 1st you need to isolate what ISNT causing it, & go from there.
Also, check the motor mount bolts, that caused me some vibration recently.

Good luck

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:57 AM   #214
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks for that Doug.

I keep having a look at your trip report, awesome stuff. Maybe a chopper's what dot's going to be when she grows up.

you're right about the clutch, the postie doesn't have one. and I've tried revving and other things but found the only thing that makes a difference is holding the brake. I've also checked the mounts and they all seem nice and tight, and the engine's running sweet at the minute so I can't imagine it's that.

It all seems to be pointing towards the brakes or bearings. That's my first job for Nepal taken care of.

Safe riding mate, maybe I'll see you for a beer halfway.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #215
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,358
Outstanding report. You are one cool dude.
Good luck.
42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 AM   #216
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Gobsmacked

I can't believe it. I've just been to the cargo agent to pay the bill and it's actually gone DOWN from their estimate, not up. Gobsmacked. Totally.

The original quote on saturday was 22,490B, which she said might go or up down, but likely up, to as much as 25,000.

I got there today and she only wanted 20,200B. I was over the moon.

So I bought her some flowers to say thankyou, treat myself to a new penknife as I'd lost the other one and even ate at KFC and watched a movie. Star Trek; it was really good.

Tomorrow, Nepal.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:33 AM   #217
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,595
Hi Nathan,
if it only vibrates when you hit the brakes, its probably 1 of 2 things. the pads have cracked & not pressing against the drum evenly, or the drum got hot & warped. Its probably the pads. Once ya pull the brakes apart, I hope the problem is easy to spot, & easy to fix.
if that isnt bad, check for loose spokes. thats sort of a longshot, but it could happen.
your putting poor dot thru hell, and she is trying to tell you something.
She's a trooper tho, I've got faith in ya both!

I probably wont be in Bulgaria when you come thru there (I'm guessing thats the route you are taking from turkey)
but Polina will be there & is expecting you to visit.
Our contact info is on the website, or just send me a PM when ya get close.

Doug

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 AM   #218
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
nathan -

well done, sir, well done. i haven't been this intrigued by something on this website...well, maybe ever. i have a '76 CT90 in my garage that i love to death, and you're giving her some grand and dangerous ideas - all of a sudden she has a new idol (named Dot) and she wants to venture outside of her normal roads and trails.

either way, i'm glad to hear the engine is running smoothly. i wish i had more insight for you on the vibration but i think doug hit it pretty squarely on the nose. let us know what you find and hopefully this community can be of assistance.

so, seeing as i know your trip must be draining you of expenses, is there a way we can help you out some? i couldn't give a ton but i'd love to see you make it to london - it's an admirable goal.

alright, brother, safe travels.

matt
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:06 AM   #219
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279
Nathan you're fucking mental. I love it.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:40 AM   #220
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Evening guys,

I've just found some footage of the day I left Sydney on the old bike, Dorris. Crikey she sounds fit to drop before I'd even left the driveway. No wonder the bottom end went 1000 kays later.

Then for storage my milkcrate is all over the place and wobbling, I've packed ten pairs of pants and I have all sorts of things now lost along the way. Three months seems like a lifetime ago now.

Today I've been getting floods of reality. As though all of a suffen it sinks in that tomorrow I'm boarding a plane first to Indian, then a connecting one to Nepal, where I shall collect a disassembled moped, put it back together, find a hotel in a city I've never been then ride into India, across Pakistan, hopefully Iran and home. I don't know, you get that submerged with what you need to do day to day that you forget just how big the bigger picture really is. But boy I'm excited...

Just been looking at a guide book for India and I don't quite know how I'm going to spend my time. The plan, I think is to have 3 weeks in Nepal, five in India, then ten days in Pakistan as that's all they've given me, then continue on, however that may be.

I've been looking though and really fancy the idea of taking Dot to the north of Africa, so instead of Turkey and into Europe, go south into Syria and Jordan, then a ferry to Egypt and across either to Algeria and over to Italy, or Morocco and over to Spain. The only problem is a visa for Libya. I hear you need to be in a party of five.

whether I even attempt that route depends on the money situation, so if i do need one last tenner to coast me home i might just take you up on that offer MightyMatt. It'd help if I stopped dropping my camera in the sea.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM   #221
klrhelipilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
just fantasti...i'm hooked. And what am I doing with my life?
klrhelipilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:23 PM   #222
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrhelipilot
just fantasti...i'm hooked. And what am I doing with my life?

I know, depressing isn't it?
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:31 PM   #223
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,289
I like the route plan. Maybe these guys are up to date on the visa situation in Libya: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465271

And don't worry about Kathmandu, you can't swing a cat without hitting a cheap hotel or resturant. Just hang around Thamel or freak street and everything you need is right there. Cheap too. Once you are out of the city, it's great riding.

It would be a poor second choice to riding across Pakistan, but the worst case scenario is that if time/ security/ whatever is going to be a problem in Pakistan, you can always put the bike on the train and cross the country in a day.

petefromberkeley screwed with this post 05-18-2009 at 03:44 PM
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #224
exiledinaus
Get off my land!!!

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymatt43
nathan -

well done, sir, well done. i haven't been this intrigued by something on this website...well, maybe ever. i have a '76 CT90 in my garage that i love to death, and you're giving her some grand and dangerous ideas - all of a sudden she has a new idol (named Dot) and she wants to venture outside of her normal roads and trails.

either way, i'm glad to hear the engine is running smoothly. i wish i had more insight for you on the vibration but i think doug hit it pretty squarely on the nose. let us know what you find and hopefully this community can be of assistance.

so, seeing as i know your trip must be draining you of expenses, is there a way we can help you out some? i couldn't give a ton but i'd love to see you make it to london - it's an admirable goal.

alright, brother, safe travels.

matt
+1 - you are living the dream... I would hate to see you take the short route home for lack of funds... i can't give much... but i could give some...

Ed
exiledinaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:30 PM   #225
Lash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frey Bentos
I know, depressing isn't it?
Too right! The highlight of my day is checking in and catching up on Nathan and Dot's latest . . . this even beats Angola!

Stay safe Nathan, we're all rooting for you!
Lash is offline   Reply With Quote