Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #2326
The Guru
Scotlands finest

Oddometer: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammer View Post
...Are you writing a book?
Yes he has written a book 'Going Postal' gets released 1st Feb 2011. See Nathans site for details.

http://www.thepostman.org.uk/
The Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #2327
MrToots
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Sseeeuuuu! Finally up to date on the thread. Nate, I have loved all the intricacies and the personal touch that you have put into your trip writeup. Well worth the trip. Will definitely be watching for additional pics.

A few months ago I picked up a used G650x to get into the dual sport type riding. Coming from sport touring, using my 1300 FJR for overland trips, I thought the 650 thumper was going to be small (I still cant emagine going ~60km/h down the road). Your trip has definitely given me encouragement to see what's around the next corner, that I should take that next dirt road that I keep passing.

Interestingly, I was talking to one of my riding buddies about your trip and he responded why? what was he going to get out of it?... I responded why not. Does there have to be a reason? You are living life. Rock and Roll on!
Old 12-06-2010, 06:38 PM   #2328
Cresta
Road Warrior

Oddometer: 152

Thanks Nate, one of the more memorable true adventures posted in here & one which had me in stitches at times. Cheers, good luck & all the very best.
Cresta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 08:40 PM   #2329
OldSchool750
Old Rider

Oddometer: 102
Wow..how did I miss this thread!

Glad I'm retired! Took me three days, but I've finally finished reading and watching. What a emotional ride....literally.... and now more pics to look at. The video of your "rant" ride makes my loop around the moat in Chiang Mia look below tame.

I love Thailand and have been to most of the places you have posted.....back again in two weeks to ride in the north. Loved the entire thread and am on the book list. Sorry I couldn't have been board real time.

Jim
OldSchool750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #2330
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Alrighty, where were we? That's right, Thailand, on a beach taking a breather while trying to figure out how we got over Burma and into Nepal...

Back in Bangkok

nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 01:09 AM   #2331
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Thailand

Ends

And some videos from Thailand...

">

">

">

">

">

">

">

">

">

SOrry, I don't know why some of these have doubled up. I'll try and fix it.

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 05:40 AM
Old 12-07-2010, 02:03 AM   #2332
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

So that's it, the end of Thailand, flying out of there on a plane to Kathmandu in Nepal, just the two of us again, me and Dot. This was a big step, much bigger than I'd anticipated.

The dynamic of the trip changed drastically.

Across Australia, through Timor and Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand is always a bit of a joke, to see how far we'd get. We never imagined we'd get very far so we never took it very seriously. We never stopped to think of the consequences or the choices you have to make to continue such things. But now I was confronted by that. Those decisions.

Flying into Kathmandu then was the point at which it all became more serious. I felt more pressure to finish. It became less about the ride and the experience and the pure enjoyment and more about the road, and the race, and the focus to travel the remaining 20,000 kilometres so that then it would be done.

These then are the shots of the onwards journey, from Nepal on. Thinking back I certainly didn't enjoy this stage so much, but I did enjoy the challenge, and the focus on finishing. Perhaps I did race through and not see enough, but I always felt that it was time wasted when I wasn't riding. I just wanted to see if I could get to England. I guess I was running and I was chasing. Two powerful forces in trips like this I feel. I was running from miistakes and inadequacies and even commitment, I was running towards answers, an end. A full stop. Closure. I think sometimes with these things we see them as the cure, as the one thing that will define you, and then everything will be alright. A bit like swimming across an ocean and aiming for the island so you can climb out the water and stand still and take a deep breath and look up at the sky and feel like finally you've got your feet on stable ground.

The only problem I guess, is that this chase, this search, this quest, seems to be the one thing that beings purpose and conviction to your life. And so without this chase there seems a lack of purpose, and personally that's a horrible feeling. My raw inclination is then to go looking for it again, to carry on the search, because I feel hollow without it. I wonder sometimes then if it will ever stop; will ever come to an end, because I am most unhappy when I am still. But I want to be still. That is the paradox; wanting what you have on the road without having to actually hit the road to find it. Because how I feel right now is that there were moments on the trip where you feel at your optimum. You are alive. You are lucid, resolute, kick-ass. You can do anything. You are that person you've always hoped one day you might be. And it is fantastic, the best feeling in the world. And the worst feeling in the world is that moment when you realise you might never recapture that moment, that you might never 'be' that person again. And so you (I mean I) feel more insubstantial than I ever did before the trip. And that's why I worry about where all this ends.

Because really it can't end well. It will either end with a nasty accident when you've pushed things one step too far, or worse, it will end with you being alone, after everyone you cared about along the way realised they will never be enough and took off. I think that's the scary thing in all this. That the road is lonely, and it is leading you to a lonlier place. But it's an addictive thing, both brilliant and misreable in equal measure. I love it, I hate it. I wish I'd never found it. But I'm glad I did. I'm glad that I realise it can never bring answers, or solutions, only more problems, becasue at least now I don't hold out false hope about what a trip such as this can do, or achieve.

Of course, I'm planning the next one. Albeit more modest. My book launch is in Australia of all places because that's the only place it might end up coming out. I don't have to go, but I want to go. I feel I need to go, to see it to the end. And I also feel I cannot go without my friend, the one that brought me all this way. So i'm planning on getting her flown back as well, to brisbane, where her journey started, to we can ride down the coast together, to Sydney for a pie from Harry's Cafe De Wheels. I want to thank then anyone who's put their name down for a book, because it'll be with the few dollars I make from each copy that I'll be buying Dot's ticket. So technically your flying her home not me.

And for what it's worth, I've deliberatley put a few pictures up of my 'companion' in Thailand. The blonde haired girl, who is way out of league but strangely took a shine to the man with the beard. She is the one at the centre of this, she is also the one that has been lost to it as well. So before anyone reads this and figures that there's better things to be found on the road, think again. Because I assure you, there's not.

Right, on to Nepal...

Old 12-07-2010, 02:53 AM   #2333
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

At the other end - Nepal

Helmet in box, back box, and wicker mat I'd carried all the way from East Timor

An American fella in Kathmandu with another Dorothy.

The bike shop that gave me the pink waterproof coat and trousers. For the life of me I can't remember it's name.

Behind a hotel where I left Dot. And then I went off walking.

It was supposed to be a 14 day hike but I was missing riding so turned back on day three. I missed the road. I missed making progress.

When I got to the bottom I had a week of terrible diarrhea and decided to cut my beard.

Around Pokhra

Old 12-07-2010, 03:19 AM   #2334
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Stil in Nepal

Polkhra, motorcycle club owned by Brits

Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #2335
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 259
Loving those pix, like old friends over for tea. Thanks mate!
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 PM   #2336
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Well then Mr Nate, if that's the case you put the kettle on and I'll get my photos out for India...

Varanasi, on the banks of the holy River Ganges

laundry

And a couple of videos

">

Gorakhupur!

">

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 12:33 PM
Old 12-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #2337
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 259
Chuffin Hell! You are a machine! Hmmmmm.....wait a second! Dot, are you posting pix again?!?
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #2338
Bajatacoma
Why me?

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman View Post
These then are the shots of the onwards journey, from Nepal on. Thinking back I certainly didn't enjoy this stage so much, but I did enjoy the challenge, and the focus on finishing. Perhaps I did race through and not see enough, but I always felt that it was time wasted when I wasn't riding. I just wanted to see if I could get to England. I guess I was running and I was chasing. Two powerful forces in trips like this I feel. I was running from miistakes and inadequacies and even commitment, I was running towards answers, an end. A full stop. Closure. I think sometimes with these things we see them as the cure, as the one thing that will define you, and then everything will be alright. A bit like swimming across an ocean and aiming for the island so you can climb out the water and stand still and take a deep breath and look up at the sky and feel like finally you've got your feet on stable ground.

The only problem I guess, is that this chase, this search, this quest, seems to be the one thing that beings purpose and conviction to your life. And so without this chase there seems a lack of purpose, and personally that's a horrible feeling. My raw inclination is then to go looking for it again, to carry on the search, because I feel hollow without it. I wonder sometimes then if it will ever stop; will ever come to an end, because I am most unhappy when I am still. But I want to be still. That is the paradox; wanting what you have on the road without having to actually hit the road to find it. Because how I feel right now is that there were moments on the trip where you feel at your optimum. You are alive. You are lucid, resolute, kick-ass. You can do anything. You are that person you've always hoped one day you might be. And it is fantastic, the best feeling in the world. And the worst feeling in the world is that moment when you realise you might never recapture that moment, that you might never 'be' that person again. And so you (I mean I) feel more insubstantial than I ever did before the trip. And that's why I worry about where all this ends.

Because really it can't end well. It will either end with a nasty accident when you've pushed things one step too far, or worse, it will end with you being alone, after everyone you cared about along the way realised they will never be enough and took off. I think that's the scary thing in all this. That the road is lonely, and it is leading you to a lonlier place. But it's an addictive thing, both brilliant and misreable in equal measure. I love it, I hate it. I wish I'd never found it. But I'm glad I did. I'm glad that I realise it can never bring answers, or solutions, only more problems, becasue at least now I don't hold out false hope about what a trip such as this can do, or achieve.

Right, on to Nepal...
Thereís a reason for the term travel junkie- and as youíve discovered it fits in a most uncomfortable way at times. While there are those who hear the call of the road and travel for the sheer joy of it, others travel because they must. Itís a craving that gets into your soul and becomes your very being- you know when you stop moving itíll be there; sometimes waiting patiently, other times creating a physical burning inside of you. To keep moving, to abandon relationships and stretch others thin, to forgo a sense of placeÖ and the only ones who understand are the others like you on the road. Trying to explain it to one of your friends who still lives where they grew up and has never left their part of the world is like trying to explain the color blue to a blind man. It makes no sense and no matter how much you want to scream ďwhy canít you understandĒ you know itís no use. And so you hit the road again and that relationship gets ever strained as you see more and experience more. Thatís not to say that otherís choices are bad- theyíre not, theyíre just different.

It always seems that itís in the middle of these sorts of journeys though when we are thoroughly exhausted, both physically and mentally, that our souls are laid bare and we are forced to face our demons. We think about the stability of a warm house and an even warmer wife, of kids and ďnormalĒ jobs (whatever that means) and stability. The thought of waking up between clean sheets, taking a hot shower and going to a simple job thatís not overly taxing sounds preferable to another night on the cold ground in the rain or any of a million other places we create for ourselves or find ourselves in.

As I read your report, and Iíve followed it for a while now, I wanted to post when people would post negatively but I refrained. The difference between people who have to travel, for whatever reason, and those who do it for fun or business is apparent and like the blind man, no matter how much you scream heís just not going to understand the color blue.

I hope your relationship works out for you, I do, but itís rare for long distance relationships to last. If you canít resolve that internal need to move on, be it an insatiable appetite for the unknown and the wondrous, a fear of commitment, a fear of stagnating, a fear of kids and responsibilities- whatever it is- then unless that women is extremely understanding or a kindred spirit, itís just not going to work.

I never really worried about it until I rolled into middle age and realized all my friends Iíd ever had have been married at least once and most have kids. As far as I know, Iím the last of my peers whoís never been married and has no children (amongst my friends that arenít gay anyways, I do know a couple of them who arenít married for obvious reasons). Looking back I can count at least two serious relationships that I sabotaged in one way or another because I didnít want the commitment marriage entailed. Everyone always says ďwell if she was the right one youíd have known and gotten marriedĒ and I want to tell them that maybe she was the right one, maybe she was the best thing Iíve ever known, but that I wasnít man enough to own up to it at the time- but I canít.

Thatís a lot more than I wanted to say. I suppose I could have just said listen to your heart and do what it tells you but you know itís not the same as having someone give you a part of themselves to reflect on. Just make sure youíre running for the right reasons.
Bajatacoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:42 AM   #2339
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Your snow ride on Joe

I just loved your adventure in the snow on Joe. You are SO right, that we all need a CHALLENGE in life to be really happy. Find that career that challenges you...you will be happy! (I just have to push Joe for 4 miles in the snow....4 more miles....4 miles.....) I'm so much enjoying the new photographs you're posting. It's like the second reincarnation of the original story.... I've signed up for the book....can't wait to see it.
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #2340
philsb
Gentleman of Leisure

Oddometer: 36
Thanks for the ride.

Nathan
Thanks for taking us with you on your ride report. I only started following it recently, which I think was a good thing as I couldn't have stood the suspense of waiting for your next posts.
You have done a trip that many of us would like to do but for a variety of reasons haven't. I salute your courage and tenacity .
I hope to bump into you on Scarborough's harbour front some day.
Best of luck with your next venture whatever it turns out to be!
Best regards from a slightly thawing Doncaster.

Phil
philsb is offline   Reply With Quote