Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 AM   #241
Belgian Waffles
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 874
Keep on riding Nathan and Dot! Im sending more encouragement your way as I love checking this thread for updates.

Belgian Waffles
Belgian Waffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 AM   #242
picoda
Dalmatia

Oddometer: 221
What can I say? Or write?
Put all the posts before in one, and that is half of the post which I want to write about this trip.

If the Croatia will be on your map, send me PM before you come, and you both don't need to think about anything, just how to come here.
picoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #243
Moto One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
nat

Thanks for having us along. We have been checking in (Two Three times a day)... Enjoy, I know we are.

Mark.
Moto One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #244
CParnell
Stuble Jumper

Oddometer: 170
This is the best threads I have watched/read in forever. I'll be watching until the end. Cheers and good luck.
CParnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #245
smilin jack
Grandpa Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,226
Nathan and Dot

Good ride report. Yes, do write a book with pictures, you may earn enough for another adventure.

My brother and I, at age 16 and 17, rode our S-32 Suzuki 150cc bikes from Oregon to Alaska and back in a summer. We thought of it as a great adventure. You definitely had a real adventure. We had roads to ride, you had trails and worse. Great job, and keep it.

I'm 60 years old, and still like the little bikes. My ride is currently a Honda CB250 Nighthawk that I've fixed up for touring/camping etc. This Feb, I rode about 450 miles on a camping trip. I crossed the Cascade Mountain pass twice, riding on packed snow on US Hwy 20. See that report: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441736

Carry On Nathan,

David

smilin jack screwed with this post 01-10-2010 at 01:55 PM
smilin jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #246
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,210
Out of curiosity, have you taken a moment to consider why you are planning to stop in London and not instead turning left and continuing the journey since you will have gone about half way around the world already? If you have the will, there will be a way...

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #247
Redbull Addict
I need another one...

Oddometer: 1,262
Hi Nathan,

It's ride reports like this, that I come to advrider! Great job Nathan!

I'm in the U.S. and never did anything close to this so I can't be of any use but a lot of these guys have and can help tremendously. Take the advice and make sure to soak it all in and enjoy yourself!

I've enjoyed the writing and the crazy videos, please keep them coming. I know they must be a lot of work but it really gives us more insight into the high's and low's. You seem to be half mad and half genius - and I mean that in a good way.

I'd love to get a postcard and be happy to pay for it!

Take care!
Tom
Redbull Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:26 PM   #248
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,474
N & D,

This has got to be one of the top 5 ride reports in ADV rider history.

I admire your courage to take on a trip like this, and I wish you the best luck.

Your writing is brilliant, I hope you do this for living. If you are ever in California, I got all the beer you can drink.

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #249
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,012
Wow, absolutely fantastic! Just caught up - can't wait for the rest. Very humbling. I'm in awe. Respect!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 PM   #250
ShiftHead
the f is silent.

Oddometer: 261
Nathan,
I still have dibs on the first copy of the book. Can you sign it for me? And yeah, I like the idea of us buying the postcards too. I will probably print out this thread and put your postcard in with it if I can get it.

I know it seems a bit odd that some of us are truly living vicariously through you, but with life getting in the way, that's all I have. I remember taking my 3000mile round trip on my motorcycle (V45 Magna) back when I was in the Navy (20 yrs ago!), and still think of it fondly ALL the time. I SO want to do that again. And reading your adventures actually blows the dust off a few of my old memories...so thank you for sharing!

So listen buddy, here is the thing, you need to keep the ride going. Maybe a month or so hiatus, but you gotta keep the wheels turning and make it all the way around where you met Dot. The old girl is missing the roads she grew up on, ya know?

You setup a site, sell membership, and start a community of Dotaholics. I can set the site up for you bud, easy as Shepherds Pie. But mostly, don't stop. You persona, charisma and spirit shine through in your words and actions. And we like the little ray of sun you give us watching you under those stormy clouds you have been riding through these many miles. :)

And when you are in North Carolina, I would like to tag along for a few miles. And you are MORE than welcome to crash here buddy.

Cya,
Nate
- Bigzoner #052 English Chapter "Keep Brotherhood Till Die!" - Nate & Dot Fan club
- The "Got Screwed" Newb
ShiftHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 AM   #251
Seattle Jimmy
happy dipshit.

Oddometer: 37
paypal?

I don't have much but if i could pay for one visa i would consider it pretty cool to have had a part other than reading in this epic adventure.
paypal? I am on the other side of the earth from you but your ride report makes me feel as though i am riding right next to you. It would make me happy if I could send some scratch your way.
Jimmy D.

p.s. don't care how modest you want to be... you have plumbs the size of coconuts...
Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 AM   #252
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Made it...

Touch down.

Just arrived in Kathmandu, Nepal. Wow, this place is insane in a way that only the eastern islands of Indonesia have been so far on my trip.

I know India will be even more chaotic, but crikey, this is a good start.

Just checked in to my hotel having avoided their every effort to convince me I needed and upgrade and in a minute will be heading BACK to the airport to collect Dot. Though that may take a while as she's still in bits and got to have her skirt lifted by customs.

I'll film the ride back in to town and upload as soon as I get back.

Nathan, and soon.... Dot.
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:55 AM   #253
laughatmyvanagon111
Wet Side of the Mountains

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyaoli
While reading your latest adventures, my thoughts went to many many years ahead when you are much older, your youth is gone and you look back longingly on your youth and there is one thing nobody can take away from you that is the remembrance of a fantastic, adventurous, great trip done with the best friend you had at that time, named DOT.

Many of us readers are dreaming of such an adventure but are sticking with excuses why it is not possible, why it is to long, why we can not leave our jobs and then there is Nathan, he doesn't mind - just living his dream.

My exceptional respect for you...

Well said. Something like this can't be taken away regardless of what happens in the future. I'm another with lots of excuses so until I find it myself, keep up the riding and the great RR!
laughatmyvanagon111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 AM   #254
Lost Soul
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I've been lurking on this site for awhile. I just registered just so I could tell you how much I enjoy reading your posts. GO DOT!
I'll be in line for your book when it gets published. If you ever make it to the states and ride Route 66, I'll be along the way with a cold beer and hot meal for you.
Honda Recon 250
Lost Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:45 AM   #255
space monkey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
go on mr postman

Triumph T140 1977
Triumph Tbird 1996
Harley Davidson XLRRR 1200
space monkey is offline   Reply With Quote