Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #2971
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Forgot to say, and perhaps I should say, that after the first trip - the Sydney to London bit - I was repeatedly asked where I was going to ride next. And I got fed up of saying, 'oh I don't know, maybe America.' And I got fed up making excuses, and putting it off, and finding something else to do, until finally I thought 'sod it', I've got to do it. And so with a new job starting beginning of October - with Honda of all people - I had the right sized window in which to squeeze the trip. Budget wise however I only have around $500 to get me from one side of the country to the other. So if anyone wonders about my pace or my choice of routes or why I'm doing it, then that's pretty much it. Sick of making excuses. The desire to get it done. The desire to move on, and have another trip to talk about, though not necessarily write about, hence my lack of contribution on here. I'm doing it for myself, and enjoying it. Going to have some good memories after this.

Be good, ride safe.

nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:59 PM   #2972
Mulligan
Neighborhood Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Nathan,

Really enjoying the pictures and your occasional commentaries. I have roots in Kansas and Colorado, so am seeing many familiar scenes. Visited the Garden of the Gods when I was a wee lad and posed for pictures by some of the same rocks.

Lots of us who've followed your travels feel much affection for you and are interested in what you're up to. Don't want you to feel obligated to chronicle your every move and thought, but do want you to know that we look forward to every new dispatch.

Good luck with the remainder of the trip and congratulations on the new job with Honda.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #2973
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,353
"I'm doing it for myself, and enjoying it." You Bet.

Dot on the TAT. Too cool. Hope you're enjoying the states. Thanks for the pics.

Idaho Bedroll
PapaYolk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #2974
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks guys, I appreciate that.

And if anyone wants to find me on Facebook, that's where I'm doing most of my posting. I just drop by a McDonalds, grab a coffee and a McDouble, and jump on the wifi and upload a few photos and be on my way. I'm just finding the immediacy of FB real suitable for the way I'm travelling at the minute.

And I've been enjoying the random meetings I've been having a long the way, that's why I've not taken up that many kind offers of accommodation along the way, just because I want to meet 'regular' folk, which I'm doing at campsites etc. And I'm liking the uncertainty of not knowing, which comes with a good adventure. So please don't take it as a snub that i'm not posting on here more often. When it's all over I'll try and backlog it all.

Hoping to hit Monument Valley tomorrow evening, stopping off at Mase Verde along the way.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #2975
Cariboostrom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Hi Nathan and Dot. I've been following your travels on Facebook, and loving your insightful comments and great pictures. Many of us over here feel a great deal of affection for both you and Dot, and we all enjoy your updates. Congrats on the new job at Honda...come back next summer and ride some more and see the places you've missed this time.
Danielle
Cariboostrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:23 AM   #2976
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
Hey Nate, a cautionary note; My grandfather once told me that the
Railroads were responsible for producing a lot of bums. According to
him, the railroads were one of the only places that had a very good
apprenticeship program for machinists( of course this was way back in
his day). The problem was that after serving their apprenticeship the
railroads would not hire them until the had at least two years of experience,
hence the the term "journeyman". Gramps claimed that a journeyman
would show up, with nothing but a pair of calipers and an apron and go
to work. After awhile(two weeks, a month, six months) he would see
them looking off in the distance with that 1000 yard stare and the next
thing he knew, they were gone. I see similarity with Adventure Riders.
Take care that the gypsy life doesn't overwhelm you. Then again, why
not?

Enjoying your ride.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #2977
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 739
Was a treat to meet you in the middle of Colorado Tuesday and it was an honor to be allowed to sit upon your pride and joy "DOT".
Still do not comprehend why you would not trade me straight across for my K1200 BMWLT? You looked equally adventurous on it.
Save travels.
Hope to see you again on the West coast.

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #2978
DC950
Microadventurer

Oddometer: 2,683
glad to hear from you. Have fun!

DC950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #2979
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Hey guys,

Almost there, just shy of Vegas, hoping to be in San Fran by Wednesday of next week. Been tiring, been tough, but fun. Actually I thought it was going to be easy, but instead it's been as hard as the first trip. That one, because the slenderness of the countries I passed through, was like being squeezed along a toothpaste tube, with no particular choice in which way to go. This trip however is like being splatted out the end of the tube and having the entire atmosphere from which to choose from. So I've back-tracked, and side-tracked, and not ridden so much. But everything's holding in there, even the spokes, which despite being sloppy and the wheel far from true, are still all unbroken and capably performing. As I said on my facebook, I feel I've seen it all, from the bedlam of Manhatten, to the brutal decline of Detroit and that region. Across the curtain-twitching lands of Missouri and Kansas, over the Rockies - which was easily as tough as the KKH - and now through the tourist trail of Utah and Nevada, only California left to go. So far up to 6500 kilometres, in just over three weeks, expecting the meter to stop around seven and a half thousand kays, in San Fran, not Alaska as I'd hoped as a. I don't have the time - now the weather's turning - or b. the inclination to ride as far again. Maybe save that run for another year.

In the meantime some photos, and also mention of a casual slide show happening next Wedneday or Thursday, in San Fran, at a venue still to be confirmed; it organised by a kind member from here.

Ta.

And lastly, apologies to anyone who happened to read my petulant response to prsdrat's advice before I deleted it a few posts below. It's just that stuff like that really gets my back up, because it works on the assumption that I - or others - don't already fear the consequences of where all this leads. And of course we do. It's about the only fear we've got. Especially when you get someplace like Monument Valley and you're there sharing the memory with a motorbike and everyone else has families to tell. So it's kinda like pointing out the obvious. But I guess for right or wrong there are some of us who seek solace - or escape - on the road, and when we're not doing that we're feeling rather uncomfortable with ourselves. I wish I knew the resolve. But I don't. So what the hell, because today on the '66' I met a girl who came third in America's Next Top Model and I got her phone number and that makes everything worthwhile. I think...

Old 09-14-2012, 07:55 AM   #2980
wasions
Hang 10

Oddometer: 366
Perfect.
Just - perfect.

'06 Tiger (HANG 10); '99 DR350
Bigzoner peg No. 123
"Keep Brotherhood 'Til Die"
wasions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #2981
prsdrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
I applaud you sir. And regretfully, I missed your rant. Perhaps I'm just
jealous, but having been transported at a very young age from "pillar to
post"(as they used to say). I feared the wanderlust. Now I can admire
all those that shared my mother's kinship with being everywhere.

Good on 'ya Nate. Go for it.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #2982
Mr. Fisherman
oneandahalfassed

Oddometer: 10,357
Ride on Nathan, ride on!

Thanks for sharing when you can...
Mr. Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #2983
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Good to hear from you Nate.
Do let us know where you plan to have your presentation in San Fran when you've confirmed it. I'm in the North Bay (20 minutes from The City).

Do you have plans for Dot? If you leave her in California, perhaps some kind soul could rebuild those wheels, replace the spokes?

If you return you not only need to see Alaska and the Yukon but some of our best riding states like Idaho, Washington, Oregon and ... the best ... California.
Then you could head South down into Mexico, Cent. America and S. America. Very slow and mellow traveling. I believe it would suit you well. Hope you get to see it.

Can you say anything about your upcoming job with Honda? Maybe propose sponsorship for a trip on their new XR250L on a Round South America Ride? Just a thought.

All the best!

Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #2984
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,547
Nathanthepostman will have a "tell" about his trip in Oakland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
Good to hear from you Nate.
Do let us know where you plan to have your presentation in San Fran when you've confirmed it. I'm in the North Bay (20 minutes from The City).

All the best!

Adv Grifter and others,
This Weds, Nathan Mallward and his Honda called Dot will be at the Oakland Motorcycle Club doing a little "tell" of his trip across the USA riding the same Dot that made from Sydney to London. We'll have a pot of spaghetti and when it's gone, it's gone. We'll have beverages at the club hall for cheap and we'll have Nathan telling us a little bit about his most recent trip and his last trip where he rode Dot, a decommissioned postman's 105cc motorbike. We will not have any copies of his adventure book that he wrote after his last trip but you will learn how you can order your copy over the internet if you want.

Click on this link to learn more about his trips

Click on my link in my signature to get directions to the Oakland Motorcycle Club found off of the 880 High Street exit. Be sure to check the club site since the 880 has permanent changes and your GPS and/or Google Maps directions may be wrong. You'll need the correct directions from the site while Google Maps catches up to the recent changes.

We will open up as early as 6:30 but will serve that speghetti pot at 7pm and the meeting will start at 8pm. We'll have a short meeting and then Nathan will have his "tell".

If you are attending, please post a little rsvp on this thread as well as the thread so I can get a headcount all in one place.

Thanks!

Super Suz
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.

Super Suz screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 02:25 PM
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:21 PM   #2985
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

I guess that's me.