Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 PM   #2986
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
Adv Grifter and others,
This Weds, Nathan Mallward and his Honda called Dot will be at the Oakland Motorcycle Club doing a little "tell" of his trip across the USA riding the same Dot that made from Sydney to London. We'll have a pot of spaghetti and when it's gone, it's gone. We'll have beverages at the club hall for cheap and we'll have Nathan telling us a little bit about his most recent trip and his last trip where he rode Dot, a decommissioned postman's 105cc motorbike. We will not have any copies of his adventure book that he wrote after his last trip but you will learn how you can order your copy over the internet if you want.

Click on this link to learn more about his trips

Click on my link in my signature to get directions to the Oakland Motorcycle Club found off of the 880 High Street exit. Be sure to check the club site since the 880 has permanent changes and your GPS and/or Google Maps directions may be wrong. You'll need the correct directions from the site while Google Maps catches up to the recent changes.

We will open up as early as 6:30 but will serve that speghetti pot at 7pm and the meeting will start at 8pm. We'll have a short meeting and then Nathan will have his "tell".

If you are attending, please post a little rsvp using THIS THIS THIS link to the appropriate thread so I can get a headcount all in one place.

Thanks!

Super Suz

Link does not open?

THIS THIS THIS

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #2987
RhinoVonHawkrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,225
Wow

I've just caught up after a long while away from this thread.

Nat what will U be doing for work in Oct? Back in UK w/ Honda?

I can understand that U didn't want to keep posting, that must be a burden.

Safe Travels
Until the colour of a man's skin - Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes -Me say war RNM
RhinoVonHawkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #2988
alcanrider
alcanrider

Oddometer: 113
Question Is this a moped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
You are brave and kinda funny for doing this on a moped but brave nonetheless. You're earning some bragging right there. Keep riding my friend.
I would like to buy you dinner when you reach New DElhi, India.

Everybody keeps calling this a moped. I thought mopeds have pedals. The original bike he was on looks eerily like a trail 90 from back in the 70's. I am also pretty sure they didn't make any 105cc mopeds, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt they couldn't go 80kph, even down a steep hill. The mopeds you had to start pedaling to get the motor running, and the ones I remember didn't have a kick start. Those were the ones sold in the U.S., the ones sold in Australia could be different. I keep looking though at the pictures and can't see any pedals. Were these type of motorcycles called mopeds in Australia? The mopeds I remember looked more like a bycycle and had maybe a 20cc motor on it.
alcanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #2989
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Oddometer: 1,556
OK. RSVP in this thread instead.

I could not figure out what is wrong with my link so just post your rsvp's in this thread instead. I'll get a headcount from here.

Looking forward to hearing about the good, the bad and the ugly of Nathanthepostman's continuing adventures on his decommissioned postbike. I mean, anyone who takes a well-worn post bike and rides it like it's a BMW in a movie with two actors and a few support vehicles did has got to have a story. I am pretty sure some of our club members who hear about where he's been with that bike that will in our bike lot will have their mouths agape and a look of sincere amazement on their faces.

Come and join the fun!
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Super Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #2990
livewire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
@ alcanrider -
It's the basically same as the old trail 90. Bigger motor, me thinks they call em mopeds in other parts of the world.
livewire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #2991
holckster
dougholck

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Suz View Post
I could not figure out what is wrong with my link so just post your rsvp's in this thread instead. I'll get a headcount from here.

Looking forward to hearing about the good, the bad and the ugly of Nathanthepostman's continuing adventures on his decommissioned postbike. I mean, anyone who takes a well-worn post bike and rides it like it's a BMW in a movie with two actors and a few support vehicles did has got to have a story. I am pretty sure some of our club members who hear about where he's been with that bike that will in our bike lot will have their mouths agape and a look of sincere amazement on their faces.

Come and join the fun!
Oakland M/C Club 9/19 Presents ADV Inmate "nathanthepostman" aka Nathan Millward

Guest List
1. Nathan Millward
2. Holckster

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #2992
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,286
I'll see you there
Old 09-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #2993
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Bring your big gas tank, PetefromBerk!

All the way from Lodi! Wow.
Member of the Oakland Motorcycle Club. In town? Come visit us on a Weds night. We love show and tells! Want to speak about your trip or motorcycle topics in the Bay Area of Northern California? We have a club hall. IM me. If you give us enough notice and if we like your topic, you can come and speak. We have room for others to come and listen too.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:26 PM   #2994
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Meet the World Famous Dorothy. Oh and Nate will be there too.

Let me tell you what I thought about riding home from work today.

I mean, this is an amazing feat! First of all, we know that this sort of thing is adventurous enough on a big bike. But when you do this with a posty bike that is
1. 105cc of power to work with!!
2. Possibly impossible to get parts outside of a few countries and even though she's been rebuilt, she is a decommissioned postman's bike. I mean, how many miles does she have left in her?!
3. On an extremely limited budget program that would send most of us right up the Kyber Pass towards home from the stress and frustration of it all!
4. A complete lifestyle change and extreme culture shock changes at almost every new border
5. The pressure of having to post when you are in the middle of nowhere or else people start PMing you to find out if you're still alive.

I say that jokingly but the fact that he did it....and now he just shows up in New York with his Dot unloaded off of a shipper is just amazing.

I think if he had posted much ahead of time, we might have told him...
1. Our highways are too fast and your bike is going to be too slow
2. On your budget, you are stealth camping and you do know that we have bears, mountain lions and wolves!
3. You're never going to get parts for that bike in the USA. Never! Unless, you can jerryrig KLR bits to her like they do in Mexico. Maybe.
4. There is no way you can do this on your budget so don't even attempt it! NFW!!!!
5. If you're going across the big passes, you'll need a bigger gas tank or forget it!

You know there'd be a few of those posts. Well, Dot has many, miles miles left in her and she's doing just fine. It's probably better that Nate was low profile so he didn't have any of that to deal with when he came to deciding to do it or how. And you know what! He's doing it! Wow! Let's hear about the wonderful moments and a few of the agonizing moments of his trip through the States.

In some countries, that size bike is a typical motorbike and folks ride around all over the place with them. But here, not so much. This kind of stuff fascinates us yank riders.

Tell all your friends who live in the area and let's make a nice showing for such an amazing feat of adventure that we can all envy on many different levels.

Super Suz screwed with this post 09-17-2012 at 09:14 PM
Old 09-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #2995
vermin
unrepentant thinner

Oddometer: 539
Only

Mad dogs and Englishmen,
Go out in the mid-day sun.

vermin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #2996
Just Paul
Pro Cat Herder

Oddometer: 2,089
Thanks Suz for posting this.. Paul and Jill are in for Wed. Can't wait !

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
Just Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #2997
brasters
Just Bob

Oddometer: 112
Wink Meet the World Famous Dorothy. Oh and Nate will be there too.

Oakland M/C Club 9/19 Presents ADV Inmate "nathanthepostman" aka Nathan Millward

Guest List
1. Nathan Millward
2. Holckster
3. brasters

2007 R1200GSA Alpine White
brasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #2998
alcanrider
alcanrider

Ok, never mind

If people, including the Postman want to call dot a Moped, then so be it. Especially, Nate, man I read all the way to page 132, and I am so impressed with your story. I have been glued to the website. I love it and loved the warm welcome you received when you got back to England. That was an awesome heart warming story. Somebody wrote on here, "All men die, but only few live". That is so true. I am going to read the rest of the pages, and if you ever come to the US, stop by for a visit. It would be nice to meet you.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #2999
alcanrider
alcanrider

I cheated...

Instead of reading from where I left off at 132, I looked back a page, and turns out you are in the States. I am so sad that I didn't get to meet you on this trip. Perhaps another time, and good luck at your new job!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #3000
Super Suz
N00b with B00b

Lots of spaghetti! See you there!