User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2009, 12:20 PM   #781
[miko]
vicarious livin' nOOb

Oddometer: 12
I'm sooo going to get canned...

2 days and 700+ posts later I'm all caught up, without a lick of work done. Small price to pay to share the journey with you, Dot and Nate. I'm far from able to tackle an adventure right now (5 kiddos make it tough to just up and go) but this RR offers quite a lot of solace and hope.

I'll offer my praise to the tide that has come before me - this is truly epic. Ride on and ride well...

peace*mike
[miko] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:30 PM   #782
Rhodie
Gusset Nuzzler

Oddometer: 373
An interesting report to show how the situation has deteriorated in Western Pakistan,
were you to still end up going that way.
This is not to frighten, rather enlighten how things have changed.
This report shows that Punjabis in Lahore and the hinterland are joining the Pak Taliban.
The Pak Taliban originally were only Pushtuns from the NWFP.
However I am not suggesting you avoid Lahore or I/bad.
But do try & avoid staying in neighbouring 'Pindi tho
- visit during daylinght hours and keep your agenda specific.

">

Beat back keen winter's blast, and welcomed summer's heat."
Byron

Rhodie screwed with this post 06-25-2009 at 02:31 PM
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:05 PM   #783
LittleHarleyGirl
Lady Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Cool2 This is epic!!!

Hey Nathan and Dot!

This RR of yours is epic. Nathan, my boy, you are showing us what the meaning of being young is. The guts to take off and go where the road takes you. And I think Dot is the perfect ride for this trip. Probably fits in much better than a big Beamer or the like. And this is coming from a Harley rider.

Keep the posts coming and ride safe, both of you.

Oh, by the way, if you ever venture back to good old OZ, I'll buy you both a drink.

"Crossbones rules"
LittleHarleyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #784
Strasseperre01
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Well mate, You certainly don't do things in small measure.
I have just finished reading this epic thread up to date and it beats any travel story i think i have ever read.
I have always said everyone should own a postie bike once in their life for the sheer enjoyment it gives. I find myself constantly laughing while riding mine.

Take care out there Nathan, you and Dot.
I await future posts with undisguised delight.
Strasseperre01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:02 AM   #785
thor.i.am
ridin' a KLR

Oddometer: 126
To my long lost love Dorothy,

It has been many years since I was sent off to the US. I know I promised I would be back and I am deeply saddened to not be with you.
My time away from you has been brutal. Only days after my arrival a man asked for my paperwork I tried to explain that I was sent here for official business. They promptly arrested me and sentenced me to life in a New Mexico backyard. As the photos show the living conditions are not good, but I have retained my youth, not moving in years.

I am sure you have moved on and no longer have feelings for me, but if you ever wonder through the dusty roads of New Mexico, call out my name, I will be listening.

Yours eternally,

Jack

http://iminphotos.com
thor.i.am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 06:14 PM   #786
PsychoSayWhat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
What's goin' on Nate & Dot?

Hope everything is going well!

PsychoSayWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:31 AM   #787
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Hi guys,

Sorry we've beenn absent for a few days. Not sure where we've been really, just drifting, on the road and up and down the streets. But not now thankfully those of Delhi, but of a place in the hills called Rishikesh.

It's where all the dread-locked folk come to wear their feet as ear muffs in yoga positions they're unlikely to ever get out of. You know, those spiritual types who buy the baggy pants and talk about Zen but not in the Art of Motorcycle Maitainence sense. But it's real nice up here; quiet and calm and full of Indian tourists who soak up all the touts who'd normally attack us pasty faced folk.

We got here the day before yesterday after a savage eight hours on the road. It really does kill you riding here. By lunctime I get headache and feel a bit dizzy but after her service the other day Dot has no problem soldiering on. It was amazing. This team of men with sponges and spanners spent 6 hours labouring over Dot's every crevice. They stripped the back wheel, used five litres of my fuel to clean her then gave the carb a flush out and checked the valves. Total cost? 500 rupees, seven quid... or ten dolllars. For six hours work, how insane's that.

But I did have to go back. Riding away Dot just didn't sound or feel right. She responded slow, just wouldn't acclerate sweetly and made a funny knocking from the head. I took her back and they gave me the usual; 'seems fine sir.' But after 22,000 kays you sort of know what's right and wrong so eventually I got the shop's father to have a look and he had her sorted and sweet in five minutes. Dot then is going better than ever.

And I think at last we have a plan.

I went to the Pakistan embassy in Delhi the day before we left where they told me I couldn't delay the visa I had and that I would have to apply for a new one if I missed the original's deadline. I can't be bothered with all that faff and expense so I reckon I'll enter before it expires, extend it in the country, then sit tight until the agency can get me into China. Hopefully it won't be that long after.

So yeah, I think we're going to try and do China and the Stans. The people who have said I can go to Egypt anytime are right. This is more once in a lifetime and inkeeping with the original overland plan so we really hope this time it'll stick and we can soon be on our way.

We're heading up to Leh in the north of India now to see how Dot handles the high altitude, but to help her I think I'm going to strip her of box and panniers, post them to Turkey, then get a couple of lightweight local saddle bags just to carry the basics. I'm also keen to keep a low profile in Pakistan and don't think abig shiny metal box with a web address helps. So that's the plan.

All good otherwise, though devastated to hear about Jacko. I know he was a bit of a fruitcake but I loved that man. I even liked that movie; what was it, Moonwalker or something. The real shame though is that he didn't go out at his peak. Not that I wish he'd have popped off after Thriller, instead that he'd have kept on making records like that. In the papers for the right reasons, not the wrong ones.

But never mind. There's always Janet's nipple.

Just off a chicken sizzler, still haven't sorted that paypal thing out but will once the call of the road has quitened. Right now it's really screaming in my ear, making me feel restless and in need to cover some kilometres. I really can't wait til all the lights go green and I can really get the next stage of this adventure under way. From India i don't think me and Dot are going to stop for breath until we reach Turkey.

At least that's the plan.

Alright, bye for now, but as the mods have very kindly given Dot back her voice I think she's going to be posting a few videos she recently took.

PS. That yellow postie is awesome. The bike shop where I met Dot had an immaculate posite painted yellow with white hightlights. She was just sublime, a real saturday night sweetheart. But no way would she have done Dot's distance, not in her heels.

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 07:26 AM
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #788
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
That's a prize winner right there Nate

Namaste!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #789
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,964
Nathan, your photography is getting better all the time. A couple of front page candidates in that last post. Still hooked....

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:20 AM   #790
Machog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Brilliant mate, been following your progress.

Would also like to contribute in some small way, very small, can I send you a new pair of shoe laces? That last photo of your sneakers looks like you could use some.

This is on our local Craigs list, a sister to Dot. Not as pretty or with the extra large 'chest' (tank), but Dot can take comfort that if she ever gets to the Pacific Northwet (Seattle area), she would have a sister to play with.

You would have a place to stay, a dedicated well stocked beer fridge and a well equipped workshop to give Dot any TLC she might need.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/1242814865.html

Keep the reports coming and stay safe.

Machog
Old 06-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #791
kjames
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
another great write up nath..

and i'm loving the photo, the lighting is fantastic.

keep enjoying it.

karl
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #792
Game over
Haha

Oddometer: 137
Thanks for the photo update, you always seem to throw in some down to earth pictures that not many other RR's seem to catch.
Game over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #793
Frey Bentos
not listening

Oddometer: 649
Yarp. The pics are really feckin' good. Some of those ones where Dot is in the background of the bustling street scenes are like a "Where's Wally"?
Frey Bentos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:29 PM   #794
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:58 AM   #795
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 4,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">

Bit off a

What ya trying to do mate...we may be able to help cu's it's Monday and there will be a few of us that are sober...i think.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote