Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #796
ExHD
Le Frog

Oddometer: 46
Worked for me. I used Nathan's Email address and Paypal recognised it straight away.
ExHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:08 AM   #797
Bollocks
Farts with an Accent™

Oddometer: 5,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExHD
Worked for me. I used Nathan's Email address and Paypal recognised it straight away.

Oh thank god!
I can go back to drinking...Thanks mate.

The Self-Preservation Society
BMW F800R Grin factor 10
08 Triumph 1050 Toight like a Toiger RIP
Bollocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #798
thor.i.am
ridin' a KLR

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollocks
Oh thank god!
I can go back to drinking...Thanks mate.

I need a beer too, or both of my computers do, because his last post is nothing we can make sense of.

http://iminphotos.com
thor.i.am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #799
thor.i.am
ridin' a KLR

Oddometer: 126
Your photography is getting outstanding. Not just good, but magazine quality. These make me want to get out and shoot more:

Good luck with the next leg. Namaste!

http://iminphotos.com
thor.i.am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #800
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Anyone who would value the soul of a machine, as you have, has got to be OK. As agnostic and sceptical a person as you'd ever meet, I've yet been unable to resist a communion with many machines and objects that share my life - especially those which (who?) I depend upon for something, for transportation, protection from the elements, etc, and have proven most trustworthy over time.

Yeah, I think many of us here have talked to them occasionally; swore at many in fits of disappointment; apologized for being abusive or careless, not wishing to seem ungrateful.

The photos reminded me a bit of Horst Wackerbarth's red couch project. The meaning of adventure travel through the iconography of Dot!

svejkovat screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 09:38 AM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:21 AM   #801
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Yeah I don't know what was going on there. I tried to copy and paste the icon, then I got distracted, then I forgot, then I left the internet shop. Then I've just fallen in love with a Polish girl over a thali. Well, not love exactly, I just fancied her a bit. Great eyes and smile, though I'm not sure she had back dimples like the Brazilian.

I'm back online briefly now though, I'm just checking what documents I need for the Chinese visa I'm going back to Delhi to apply for tomorrow. Yup, despite travelling north to Rishikesh I'm now going from where I just came to sort something out I should have done while I was there.

Like an idiot I've only just figured out it would be wise to make sure I can get a Chinese visa before we begin the lengthy and costly exercise of getting Dot one. I know she's a brave old girl and all, but China, alone, I don't even think old Dorothy's ready for that.

But for now, so that she doesn't suffer my mistake, she's waiting here while I take the bus with the back fat and bingo wings the local women wear. I heard it's a real experience so I'm off in the morning to the bus shop to find the swiftest vessel to Delhi. Hopefully I'll be reunited with Dot in a few days and we can both sing merrily that at least one of us has our order in for Peking Duck.

Wait. News just in. A different agency has just confirmed they can get Dot in for a seven day Chinese trip on the 28th July. And for less money than the other wanted for three days.

Then it's decided. We'll both have the duck and be there not many days after we cross to Pakistan on the 26th.

I've been thinking about chancing it, just turning up at the Chinese border and hoping they go easy on Dot and me, letting us through without all this flim-flam about guides and what not. But Pakistan... do I really want to be stuck there waiting, or even worse, turned away at the border with a ride back down the KKH giving the gunmen who missed me first time round chance to hit me with another shot?

No, not really, as wild as that adventure sounds.

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 10:34 AM
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #802
jscompto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
hell, i think you're doing the right thing with the 7 day trip, but i'm not sure i'd chance the pakistan stuff. let us know how your visa turns out when you get there. Oh, and about the back fat and bingo women.... they must be half american too if they're fat bingo players
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:41 AM   #803
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Yeah, no real choice about riding Pakistan, well, none I'd rather take. I think I'll just do the KKH as quick as Dot can. won't hang around or sightsee too much, but from what I hear the road's still safe as long as you don't venture off it.

Besides, Dot'll have a knobbly on so at least we can make an off-road escape. Steve McQueen over the China fence. That's be so neat. Dot sideways in the air, smiling, knowing any second she'll bounce back down on springs designed and made for just that. A leap of faith, high in the air, above guards and barbed-wire fence our persuers will stare. They'll never make it, not on their shite old bikes. Fuck of buddy, go take a hike.

Okay, back to reality...

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 06-29-2009 at 10:49 AM
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #804
jscompto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
atta girl...

I think she'll keep you protected pretty well
Joel Compton
jscompto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #805
ColonelB
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks for the Update and Some Bux For You & Dot

Nathan,

I've been following your journey as so many others, and I think it's important to reward your special kind of insanity, and I've paypal'd you US$25 to help. I've been waiting for you to get an account opened, and if others are looking let me repeat your email with the @ sign replaced with AT:

nathanmillward AT hotmail.com

If you do go through Pakistan, your previous advice is sound; the bad guys look for "soft" targets, but typically do pre-planning and recon before putting something together. So don't loiter in the urban areas and try to blend in a bit and you should be just fine.

My best to Dot,

Chris Burton
ColonelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:42 PM   #806
Ooobah-Moto
Banned

Oddometer: 3,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
Yeah I don't know what was going on there. I tried to copy and paste the icon, then I got distracted, then I forgot, then I left the internet shop. Then I've just fallen in love with a Polish girl over a thali. Well, not love exactly, I just fancied her a bit. Great eyes and smile, though I'm not sure she had back dimples like the Brazilian.
Nate,

Beware the Polish girl... they're .... trust me, I know!!!

P.S.
....keep snapping those pics, they're unreal!!!!!!
Ooobah-Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #807
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,735
I could meet you up at the chinese high commission or someplace else.
Shoot me a pm dude !!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:59 PM   #808
shortdick
Recycled A Tech

Oddometer: 50
Go on my Son !
Yeah baby ,this is the real thing .
Puts all those weekend wannabees and woulda coulda shoulda but aint never gonna's to shame . And you could not have chosen a better bike for the job . I sure as hell would not ride a high profile 'ive got money to burn' show pony through the parts your travelling . Its just asking for trouble if your travelling solo .

Never road a postie ,but my first bike was a cb100n. It never missed a beat . The only mistake I ever made was overtightening the chain and stuffing the swing arm bearings . I rode it to fast on the dirt roads too ,which did not help .

Love the pics , love the writing . Just watch out for post adventure deppresion ,because ordinary life will never fill the void again. I got over it by going to college .
shortdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:38 PM   #809
deerslayR
Spodely Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
... for now.

Not sure I'll get back online before I leave on the trek tomorrow so just wanted to say goodbye for a week or so.

We're doing the Annapurna circuit, well, half of it at least cause I think I'll be ready to catch a bus the rest of the way back. In keeping with my casual motorcylce attire I shall be walking the 140 kays in my Converse and taking my new pink suit should it rain. Not quite the coolest kat on the mountain but dry at least.

So ride safe and I'll see you in the other side.

Nathan and Dot.

NB. just seen ExHD's comment, just to clarify the idea's not about me, it's about everyone in the ADVRider comm..... oh fuck it. I may as well tell you now. I just thought how cool it would be, given most folk on here are American, to have the mother of all cruises there where all you arrived with was an old knacker of a bike, a tent and a sense of adventure. I was sat on the toilet the other day and I just had this vision of a thousand bikers, all on rusty old donkeys, riding down Route 66 with blue smoke bellowing and everyone helping each other out until we got to where we were going. LA to NY, I don't know. Shut the door on all this high tech, fancy-dan GS12000 technology, go back to grassroots, to the bikes that made us bikers in the first place. Take tents and create the largest convoy of crap motorbikes the world has ever seen. Survival and no surrender, that's what it'd be about. A Gumball Rally for shit bikes.

So when I said save your money for something else, I was thinking of that. Buy yourself a shitter and let's have some fun.

(I bet someone will come along and say they already do that)

Anyway, it was just an idea. Fire at will.
Nathan,
Great stuff.
Yes, the "shit bike" thing has been around for quite a few years.
He's a great bunch of nuts in the US who subscribe to your vision:

http://www.deadhorse.com/

I'm sure there are many more, but any group that puts on a "Dead Italian"
rally for crusty Guzzis, Ducs, Benellis etc. is definitely worth a looky.........

TCSMC: teamhammer.org

"I'm a choker!" ask me how

"They're ALL dirt bikes.....some work better than others"-----Harley Huey
deerslayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #810
shortdick
Recycled A Tech

Oddometer: 50
My aunt was a biker chick long before the term was coined and she was a major inspiration for me hitting the road . And she kicked ass right up to the moment she popped her clogs .

"Keep your face to the sun and your shadow will fall behind" is what she said .

This ride report warms my heart because it reclaims the TRUE SPIRIT OF ADVENTURE AND SHOWS EVERYONE THAT ITS NOT BEYOND THEIR FINANCIAL REACH .

Keep it coming Nate .
shortdick is offline   Reply With Quote