Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #826
wasions
Hang 10

Oddometer: 379
Pardon me, but is the girl from Table 7 reading any of this?

'06 Tiger (HANG 10); '99 DR350
Bigzoner peg No. 123
"Keep Brotherhood 'Til Die"
wasions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #827
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Dot, Mavis, Table #7. You and your women!

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #828
LazyLion
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasions
Pardon me, but is the girl from Table 7 reading any of this?
If she is she now knows that Nate has told us all that she is 26 years old.

Nate, a general rule of thumb, never disclose a womans age. Regardless, I have the feeling your relationship will all come together by year's end.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #829
thor.i.am
ridin' a KLR

Oddometer: 126
What if.... What if you didnt find DOT? What if you missed your ferry out of Australia? What if you didnt make through Indonesia? What if you couldnt get DOT working in Nepal? What if you cant get into China? What if..... What if when you are rolling into Jolly Ol' you see HER sitting on a park bench? What if when you are flying to Canada you realize the enormity of your journey, that it was all about the WHAT IF? What if as you sit at your desk in a cabin in the Canadian Rockies and you are writing your book, your beautiful wife tells you that you will be a father?

Who knows....

http://iminphotos.com
thor.i.am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #830
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Thumb

A small donation sent to help keep Dot in fuel and knobblies, go Nathan GO!

Stewart
Old 07-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #831
northof49
n00b

Oddometer: 8
what ifs ...

life is "what ifs". Make a decision and move forward ... that is the best anyone can do.

... and you seem to be making the best of it!

best of luck and ride safe.

northof49
northof49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #832
Ganjora
class A bollockser

Oddometer: 145
dude, you're a beserker.
Ganjora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #833
ArmyMedic
Flyin' Elvis, UT Chapter

Oddometer: 485
I NEED a Postie t-shirt. Click size and Add to cart but no way to checkout. Anybody else with this problem? Would like a shirt to support the cause!

RecoveryThreads.com
ArmyMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #834
shortdick
Recycled A Tech

Oddometer: 50
Well well, why am I not surprised . And I thought I was the only incurable romantic posting here .

She's canadian ,thats a massive plus . Aussie chicks are hard and cynical but canadian girls are just wonderfull .

I have been through the same dillema's a number of times .Dont be haunted by the whats ifs . If you think you really love the girl then you owe it to her and you to follow up...
shortdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #835
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Not to put too fine a point on this respect for machinery thing we got going here but...

From the team that brought you 'the long way around'. I had little enough respect for these clowns and the mockery of adventuring they committed with their caravan trains of support vehicles in tow. Then I find this video of Charlie Boorman tossing a perfectly good little bike off of the top of a five storey warehouse.. mostly for grins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLjnqkXNWJs

a real class act
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:49 PM   #836
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
yeah I'm sure Boorman's a lovely chap but doing that to a classic is a bit harsh. It's shame he didn't go down with it.

Just reading the responses to yesterdays post and one made me realise it perhaps wasn't such a good idea. Wasions asked if the lady in question was reading any of this and I honestly don't think she is, but still, I've perhaps said too much.

In my mind it was just part of the bigger story surrounding this trip and with me feeling as though you guys are part of the journey I thought it fair to explain my motives more, to put it all in context. But that's what brought it all to a crashing end in the first place; me putting this trip before everything else. And I've just done it again with that post. I didn't do it for sympathy but I got it and that's not right, not when it was me who fucked things up.

So it's been deleted and from now on I'll try and keep the report firmly on the tarmac road.
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #837
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

paypal

Hey guys,

Just checked the accout and nothing's come through, just a donation from the other day. Is there something I'm missing?

My email address is; nathanmillward121 At hotmail.com. Is that the one you've been using as I'd hate for some random Nathan to be bouncing around the room with a computer full of stranger's money.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #838
masukomi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
Hey guys,

Just checked the accout and nothing's come through, just a donation from the other day. Is there something I'm missing?

My email address is; nathanmillward121 At hotmail.com. Is that the one you've been using as I'd hate for some random Nathan to be bouncing around the room with a computer full of stranger's money.
I think you left off the 121 when you posted your address before and people have been sending to
nathanmillward at hotmail.com

if I were you I'd try and sign up for that account name on hotmail , but as you've got 121 I'm suspecting the numberless version has already taken, in which case the people who donated to that should cancel the payments, assuming paypal will let them.
masukomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #839
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Alright, nathanmillward AT hotmail.com is available. I've just taken it.

So too is Nathanmillward on paypal. I've also taken that.

So where will the money have gone, if it has gone at all? Surely it wouldn't let you pay into a non existent account.

Either way I'm completely sorry about this. If I missed 121 off then I'm an idiot and will make sure no one financially suffers for the size of my tiny brain.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:33 AM   #840
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Alright, I've just had an email from a donater/donator (not sure which) saying they the money hadn't been accepted and that they could just cancel the payment.

So if you have donated I'd do that straight away.

The right address, just to clear things up, is nathanmillward121 AT hotmail.com

All I can think is that I must subconsciously have been that embarassed by the 121 bit - makes me sound like a cheap chat and date - that my pride left it off.

In other news just been to the Krygsyzstan embassy where I sat on a chair and talked to a nice man through a little window about a visa. A small form filled in later and a slip to take to the bank for payment and the stamp should be in my ration book by early next week. Same goes for China.

So the wheels of the wagon are starting to roll. All my documents are with the agency for Dot's Chinese passport with it now just a matter of waiting to hear the earliest date he can get me through. I might even get a few more visas while I'm waiting to save me the hassle on the road.

I'm now back in the main bazaar where the men piss in the streets and all sorts of impaired people crawl around in the mud after a debilitating bout of polio or whatever it was that got them at a young age. Outside the internet cafe I talked to the local youths abuot the many girlfriends they all have and how their taste for western women is just a little bit seedy.

It's a real Discworld of a place, a chance to look under the rim of society and see just how far behind India still is. There are some travellers who marvel at how authentic it all is and how the power cuts are all part of the charm. But really, for our brief fetish is it really justifiable that the people are kept like this? The government has money as does big business, so why do the billion other poor souls have to put up with all this.

It rained in the night turning the streets to rivers of mood. Sewerage flows amongst us and everywhere you look there's a woman with a baby begging for pennies off tourist who have given up trying to make sense of it all. It's a fascinating place and not one I enjoy, but I think it's the memories it leaves you and the sense of awe and appreciation that we were not born here. No other country does that quite like India. You could imagine living in Thailand, Malaysia, even Indonesia, but India, no way. It makes you appreciate home too much.

But that authentic experience debate is an interesting one. I was talking to a German guy the other day about Thailand and how everywhere's oerun by 7 Elevens, McDonalds and Tescos. His point being that this is authentic Thailand. This is how Thai people live, yesterady, today, tomorrow... it doesn't get any more real. Any more authentic.

So when we come expecting to see the people playing monk and swinging in temples we're imagining the past, not seeing the present. And I'd never thought about it like that.

We also had a good chat about how as a traveller you can get obsessed thinking how your movements and actions in these strange worlds will appear in text on your next email or group update. Everything becoms part of one giant narrative that you've been telling from the start. So you stop seeing things for what they are but for how exciting or sensational they appear for the reader back home.

I can sort of see that and think yeah, how long do I spend converting my thoughts into words for the next update rather than letting the twig float freely in the water. Does it mean you don't see more, experience less? I don't know, but I thought it was an interesting point for anyone maintaining a blog or website or ride report.