User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #841
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Rant to Rishikesh

It's taken a few days to slowly upload but here's an impromtu video I shot on my way to Rishikesh the other day. I'd just come through a town that had pissed me off that much I had to mount the camera and ride through again.

Apolgies once again mother for the blue language.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #842
vandatubes1966
n00b

Oddometer: 7
What Chaos

Hi Nat, first time Ive seen your movies and they are great.

I,m picking up an accent and is it from the Midlands (uk)?

keeping riding my old mucker and stay safe,live the dream.

The other day I read on some blokes T-Shirt as he dismounted his Harley 'ALL MEN DIE BUT NOT ALL MEN LIVE.

Nathan you are truly alive.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:24 AM   #843
RiderX
Thar be Tigers in Idaho!

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
It's a real Discworld of a place...
Your description certainly makes it sound a lot like Ankh-Morpork. Do you think that's what Pratchett was thinking of when he wrote it? Keep it coming please. Love your narrative!

'98 Triumph Tiger - Black
'12 Tiumph Tiger 800XC - Black
RiderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 AM   #844
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Thanks for clearing up the email address snafu. I was able to cancel my original gift to the 'bad' add'y and sent it to the proper one. As I was listening to you ride & rant, I kept thinking; "this is so like Monty Python. I can almost see Michael Palin perched on Dot." (no offense).

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #845
svejkovat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
....you stop seeing things for what they are but for how exciting or sensational they appear....

One of the varieties of the "observer effect". It can drive you mad. Probably no more an obstacle to any 'true' experience now we have internet cafes and cell phones. Travellers have been doing it since... well, when did we start taking notes on one another?

You've probably been doing this all of your life anyway. All of us have. Overdone it can lead to uncertainty, hermeneutic circles, self-consious fogs, lost opportunity for experience, and just maybe a future Nobel in literature. Hell, nobody gets it all in life. But decisions are overrated anyway. There is no real method to this. If you're going to go overboard with it, then you will and there's no sense questioning it. You probably won't.

You seem to be making some pretty fantastic tracks right now while many less courageous are fretting over whether to change cable television providers or if they're a rimless or plastic frame type of guy.

It never does to think too much about stuff. Probably the least useful time I ever spent was in utterly forgettable late night bullshit sessions about such as the above when I could have been out seeing the world.
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #846
wonky
Team F5 !

Oddometer: 478
Wink scott mills read your post card on radio 1.......

he is a knob and may not have been that impressed by your efforts, obviously being more impressed that somebody had downloaded a podcast of the show in tibet(although the rest of the team were!), but the posh radio 4 lady read out your post card!

i think becky fanices you.

keep it pinned and good luck with the chinese bollox, hope you have more luck than i did.........

this may mean nothing to a lot of readers, but scott mills is a radio dj that does the afternoon show on radio1 in the UK. he is a knob(just in case i didnt make that clear)
The main thing I'm into is going about on a bike, taking random routes; I'm really into the idea of making up journeys, and just seeing where they take you, because they always end up taking you someplace freaky.
Tom Jenkinson (squarepusher)

KLIM in the UK
Giantloop in Europe
adventure-spec
F800GS Crashbars
Yamaha Tenere Parts
KTM 690 Adventure-Spec Parts
KTM LC8 Adventure and SE Skidplate
wonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #847
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:

We also had a good chat about how as a traveller you can get obsessed thinking how your movements and actions in these strange worlds will appear in text on your next email or group update. Everything becoms part of one giant narrative that you've been telling from the start. So you stop seeing things for what they are but for how exciting or sensational they appear for the reader back home.

I can sort of see that and think yeah, how long do I spend converting my thoughts into words for the next update rather than letting the twig float freely in the water. Does it mean you don't see more, experience less? I don't know, but I thought it was an interesting point for anyone maintaining a blog or website or ride report.

I have had this conversation with quite a few travel writers over the years. I rode my bike around the world from 2003-2005 and plenty of ADVriders have given me a hard time for not doing a ride report or book, but the phenomenon you describe is what kept me from doing it. The best ride reports are done during the ride not after the fact and it was sheer selfishness that kept me from doing what you are doing. Which way is better? Dunno.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:18 PM   #848
petefromberkeley
-

Oddometer: 3,292
Quote:

I'm now back in the main bazaar .
Where are you staying? I was just there in December.
petefromberkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #849
marbec1a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
Very insightful and entertaining. Thank you for a wonderful report.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #850
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..

Oddometer: 13,616
Quote:

The right address, just to clear things up, is nathanmillward121 AT hotmail.com

All I can think is that I must subconsciously have been that embarassed by the 121 bit - makes me sound like a cheap chat and date - that my pride left it off.
your funny....
You'll dance and sing around in your skivvies but are embarrassed by 121?
With the one to one I thought you may have worked for Apple
Old 07-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #851
Edmond Dantès
The Kanto Pain

Oddometer: 590
Mate, at some point try to acquire the following items: gloves, boots, and full face helmet.

Ride the bike with the headlight on if possible.

Seems like a lot of people love you. I love what you are doing.

Be safe homeboy.
Edmond Dantès is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #852
Kent Shaun
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thumb

Keep it up Nat, you've inspired me to join this here site, and I'm upset that shipping my BSA over to New Zealand next year from England, for a 5 week tour, is costing me more than your WHOLE trip

Perhaps I can buy you an Ale when you get to Dover?
Kent Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #853
shortdick
Recycled A Tech

Oddometer: 50
You know, I see a lot of people giving ewan and charlie heaps for promoting adventure biking but at least they got their visas SORTED BEFORE THEY HIT THE ROAD.

The reason you guys get delayed is because background checks are done ON ALL TRAVELLERS by the apropriate intelligence agencies before they are allowed to just punt through .

There is no point bitching about the burearacacy just because you failed to deal with it . Asia in general has every reason to treat westerners with caution . End of patronising rant .
shortdick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #854
Ragin Rabbi
Semper Fidelis

Oddometer: 5,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortclone
You know, I see a lot of people giving ewan and charlie heaps for promoting adventure biking but at least they got their visas SORTED BEFORE THEY HIT THE ROAD.

The reason you guys get delayed is because background checks are done ON ALL TRAVELLERS by the apropriate intelligence agencies before they are allowed to just punt through .

There is no point bitching about the burearacacy just because you failed to deal with it . Asia in general has every reason to treat westerners with caution . End of patronising rant .
Where's the adventure in THAT??? IF he wanted SAFE, he'd 'a stayed home and gone to the pub...

The uncertainty of it all, from the riding "gear", to the bike, to the layout of the trip and all, that is a bare essence back to basics.... Otherwise he'd have a great big touring rig and see it all from a very different (and perhaps sanitized) distance... Not knocking that type of travel, but that wasn't what he wanted, nor is it what he is about...

Good on ya Dude, and Dot, keep on thumping.

It takes a village to raise a child.

Go You Spurs!!
Ragin Rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #855
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
I hear what shortclone's saying, but mate, do you really think the Jedi and his mate really sorted their own visas out, or did their maids and butlers do it?

And yeah, I think missing out on all the admin and bureaucracy of a trip like this does mean you don't live it quite so vividly. I've said it before, riding is the easy part, it's everything else that provides the real turbulence. The shipping and visas and route planning...

I can see where having all that sorted in advance would have its benefits, but the way Iran's changed this trip for me and many others makes me kinda glad I'm doing it this way.

Just received my documents for China, which means I can get my visa. Also have everything sorted for Kyrgyzstan so Hannibal's plan might finally be coming together.

nathanthepostman screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 11:27 PM
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote