User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #991
Mileater
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Eek Just WOW!

Fantastic achievement and, as petefromberkeley said - you ROCK!

Cheers
Allan
Old 07-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #992
gbacque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Yea Nathan!

He's still kicking!!!!

Happy to see/hear your doing OK.

See if you can find some wool socks. They will keep you warm even if soaking wet.
gbacque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #993
Geddo
ADV-11

Oddometer: 233
Thumb

Nice to see that after a brief intermission of inane commentary, my favorite report is back on track with Nate's insane commentary.
Great report Nate
Old 07-15-2009, 07:06 PM   #994
Blumtnman
Rider

Oddometer: 273
Thumb Hooray!

Welcome back Nate, mate its great to see you back. Fantastic read as always, well done. Hope there are no more breaks in transmission, my favourite read of the day.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:19 AM   #995
b0mb3r
Old Git

Oddometer: 1,834
Thumb

Fantastic read .... keep the updates coming

White pig

b0mb3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:19 AM   #996
Nico75
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 58
Photo taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet
Where what that taken?
If I remember correct between Keylong and Pang. I'm working on my ride report of the whole trip.
Past: 1979 Suzuki GS550E - 1982 Honda CB500FII - 1987 Suzuki Intruder VS700 - 1995 Suzuki Intruder VS1400 - 2001 BMW F650 GS - 2005 BMW R1200GS
Nico75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #997
Teeds
Don Quixote

Oddometer: 1,569
Nathan:

Thanks for sharing your ride. For those of us trapped in the mundane reality of the everyday, your adventure reminds us of the fact that life is best experienced on the edge of reality, between boredom and chaos.

As SV and others have said, ignore the dillweeds, ride your ride, post when you want and say what you feel at the time.

You owe us no apologies.

BTW, I really enjoyed Dot's posts. She has a unique viewpoint to say the least.

Ride on, be safe and best to you and Dot.
we are NOT human beings having a spiritual experience, rather we ARE spiritual BEINGS having a human experience - johnjen
Teeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #998
DeeGee
I'm a Yorkshireman thanoz

Oddometer: 1,861
Keep going Nate!

I've just caught up after a couple of days in Scotland with the missus, I missed all the she-ite being thrown at you, but keep yer chin up fella and onwards and upwards!
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 AM   #999
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Hey guys, sorry for the delay with the full report and pics. Still on their way.

It's real nice up here in Leh and after me and my moutain goat Dorothy made it up and over them their hills we've been laying low waiting for the day that we would look under her blouse and offer her some repair.

And that day was today.

I took the rear wheel out. She needs a new rear axle as that one's threaded. She needs a new fork seal as the left one's blowing. She needs some patches for her panniers 'cause they're already ripped...

And now she needs a professional to rebuild the carb after I've just taken it to pieces. A man on the mountain did it in a minute; changed that little hoop that sits on the needle. He made it look so easy, even did it with his gloves on in the snow.

I though can't for the life of me figure out how the hell the hoop connects with the clip connects with the barrel connects with the needle slots in the carb. I'm just looking at some alien diagram now with the parts all sat in front of me on the internet table. It's like a little jigsaw which I now I wish I'd never scattered across the floor.

But at least my feet are now warm after the German guy who called me gay gave me his two socks. All I need now is a sleeping bag, thermals, some plastic bags to go in my Converse, a pair of proper gloves and an extra 5bhp for Dorothy and we'll be ready to make the journey back.

We're not looking forward to it and have in fact been looking for a lorry. If that fails then of course we shall be riding back down the valley to prepare for Pakistan with its easy peasy 4600 metre peak.

Despite Chinese rioters kicking off, our entry through that country's back door is also still green light to go with the plan to be in Turkey sometime in September.

But at this rate probably Christmas. Poor old Dorothy will have to ride hard.
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #1000
Bokononist

Oddometer: 16,957

Still here.Wishing you and Dot the best.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 AM   #1001
nathanthepostman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Looking at that water crossing shot I don't remember any being quite that deep. Up to the knee at times which made the foot a bit cold when we were mending the puncture but nothing strong enough to side swipe Dorothy.

Can't remember if we've already said or not but we did fall off though. Left-hander, smooth, slow, too much lean, sluther, slide, grind. Just a rip in the trousers and a tear in the panniers but lesson learned.

Less lean Dorothy, less lean.
nathanthepostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #1002
Chanderjeet
IndiYeah !!

Oddometer: 5,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanthepostman
Less lean Dorothy, less lean.
Yes, don't ride her too fast on the curves. Going uphill keep it under 50.
If you've gone around the market block they you must've passed through a temple complex. Just behind that is a imported goods market. Compartively less expensive and you may just strike a good deal.

Last i checked, a northface (cold conditions) sleeping bag was about Rs 800. About 17 USD.

About the ripped luggage. Take it to a cobbler. A shoe repair guy. Lots of them around main bus stand. Ask them to sew it again and put a leather patch from where its ripped. Cheap and reliable fix.

Buy a light but really good plastic foam to place under the sleeping bag. Easily available at the old market shops near the city entrance. (remember the tibetan gate). There's one more shop near the soft serve ice cream center. Very close to the intersection where the police booth is.

Chanderjeet screwed with this post 07-17-2009 at 12:26 PM
Chanderjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #1003
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,727
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet
Yes, don't ride her too fast on the curves. Going uphill keep it under 50.
If you've gone around the market block they you must've passed through a temple complex. Just behind that is a imported goods market. Compartively less expensive and you may just strike a good deal.

Last i checked, a northface (cold conditions) sleeping bag was about Rs 800. About 17 USD.

About the ripped luggage. Take it to a cobbler. A shoe repair guy. Lots of them around main bus stand. Ask them to sew it again and put a leather patch from where its ripped. Cheap and reliable fix.

Buy a light but really good plastic foam to place under the sleeping bag. Easily available at the old market shops near the city entrance. (remember the tibetan gate). There's one more shop near the soft serve ice cream center. Very close to the intersection where the police booth is.
That is some serious local knowledge!

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #1004
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 4,006
Luvvin' every minute of it!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:55 PM   #1005
britman
Britman

Oddometer: 279
Nathan,

Thanks for the update. Good to read you're still alive and wrestling Dot when needed.
britman is offline   Reply With Quote