ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2004, 11:33 AM   #1
Blackpaw OP
Peter

Oddometer: 338
Okay Best Dual Sport Adventure Bike?

I have to admit you guys make good points for the bikes and what you prefer. My question is then is for a bike I will be doing long distance rides, minimum 300 miles, 80% on pavement, would you guys think would be ideal for other than a strick cruiser and though i know there is nothing wrong with them, I just have always prefered the Euro bike over the Japanese bikes. Also, someone I highly respect said the best overall ride, in his opinion, comes from the BMW bikes. It seems world wide the BMW rule the adventure rides, at least from what I gather in my searches, and until I saw the Multi-Strada I was looking hard at the BMW bikes. So in a non-bias, if possible opinion, do you think would be the ideal mix, but still emphasizing road/freeway speed comfort?
Blackpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 11:50 AM   #2
Mully
Kineticist

Oddometer: 3,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackpaw
I have to admit you guys make good points for the bikes and what you prefer. My question is then is for a bike I will be doing long distance rides, minimum 300 miles, 80% on pavement, would you guys think would be ideal for other than a strick cruiser and though i know there is nothing wrong with them, I just have always prefered the Euro bike over the Japanese bikes. Also, someone I highly respect said the best overall ride, in his opinion, comes from the BMW bikes. It seems world wide the BMW rule the adventure rides, at least from what I gather in my searches, and until I saw the Multi-Strada I was looking hard at the BMW bikes. So in a non-bias, if possible opinion, do you think would be the ideal mix, but still emphasizing road/freeway speed comfort?
My answer to that question would be "R1200GS" with R1150GS a close second and KTM 950 a close third. I like the battleship-solid feel of the 1150GS and it's arguably a fine tourer and IB ride (Paul Taylor won last year's event on one) that can handle modest off-road duty. The 1200GS is lighter and faster but more 'sport-like' while still not being a real off-road pounder. The KTM is fabulous when the going gets gnarly but loses a little against the road criteria because of a smaller cockpit and a tiny bit less weather protection. Frankly, the three bikes are so close that the choice could come down to one's personal preferences as to feel and performance - they're that good.

mully
Mully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 02:56 AM   #3
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,459
For you , I agree with Mully on his first 2 and want to agree with him on his 3rd but I have 0 miles on a 950. After reading several of your posts I'm betting you can find a slightly used 1150GS that will really make you smile and at a great price right now while GS12 fever is on us. LD comfort, plenty of dealers, huge aftermarket, but most importantly a whole sack o' fun. For me , Ima justa gonna stay Italiano -for now. Oh,oh,oh almost forgot- forget that cruiser crap, that "cruiser" tag is just code for "look at me. I can't ride for sh*t".
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:42 AM   #4
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
The other advantages with the Bimmers is the ABS.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 01:31 PM   #5
luv2lean
not lost til out of gas

Oddometer: 979
Dont overlook the old airhead, especially if your going very deep off road. It's cheaper, lighter, simpler, handles extremely well in the twisties and is a real work horse. The only down side is its not as stabile over 80mph
luv2lean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:49 PM   #6
Saddletramp
a

Oddometer: 94
Old airhead or KLR

range over 300 miles
luggage rack
hard bags available
side and center stands
easy maintainance
low seat
affordable (in some places never have a better bike than the Chief of Police), and you need to be able to abandon the thing maybe
fast enouph for real adventure touring
many parts available
the jugs and hard bags protect your legs on tip overs

Saddletramp

Saddletramp screwed with this post 07-14-2004 at 01:30 PM
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:47 PM   #7
Saddletramp
a

Oddometer: 94
or who could argue with Sjaak?

http://www.sjaaklucassen.nl

Saddletramp screwed with this post 07-13-2004 at 08:57 PM
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:17 PM   #8
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
Yep- I'm biased... and so is everybody else on this thread!!! But my answer is easy- Right now it is HANDS DOWN the 1150 GS! The reason is easy too- the aftermarket. You can take one of these bikes and make it stripped for dirt or loaded up for touring and it will get the job done. The aftermarket depth behind this model is unsurpassed for what you want to do- and if distance is your thing- that's going to be tremendously important. You've got more than 6 choices in seats, 3 or 4 shock manufacturers (huge improvement, btw), lights, screens, luggage- you name it. NOTHING else brings this ability to taylor it to your exact needs- on top of a very proven and known design that you can learn to fix mostly on your own.

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 06:51 AM   #9
Ostrich
Jaded and Happy

Oddometer: 8,731
Test ride a Dakar if you are touring solo. If you weight right around the 200 pound mark or below the bike will probably feel almost perfect. I didn't think that the bike would be up for the challenge until I took one out for a few miles. I have done 450 miles in a day and returned with a huge grin on my face. Try it because it might be the bike. The R1100GS might be another good option and lastly I would recommend the R1150 which is geared a little higher than the 1100. Anyway, I rode all three and bought the Dakar.

Just because it's a zoo out there doesn't mean you have to view it from a cage!

Don't be an impulse buyer... afterall you have time..
Ostrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:58 PM   #10
Blackpaw OP
Peter

Question About the Dakar and what do you think of my plan?

I have seriously looking at getting a BMW Dakar, 2002 or 2003, or for the same cost I can get a new Suzuki 650 V-Strom, but consider it even uglier than the Dakar and I am worried about its resale value. I haven't heard anything negative about the Suzuki other than its looks and I know body armor for the vehicle is sparse. The Dakar seems to have a lot more options available and there is a load of after market available for it, plus even a used one would retain a lot of resale.
The reason I have been looking at the Dakar is for one, I haven't had a bike in a few years, my last one was a Suzuki 200ish CC bike and I logged a few thousand miles on it over dirt, sand, mud and a lot of pavement. I have been told by a few people, mainly road going folks, to just get a liter bike and be done with it. However, I also want to go off-road, limited to maybe some less than perfect jeep trails, but still no where I would ever take a pure street bike. I see from the board here that there are much more experienced riders than myself have difficulty with their liter bikes off road.
So starting out again with a mid level bike is making more and more sense to me. It also looks like a # of people do mid range touring on their Dakars.
The liter bikes I am considering are used Aprilia Caponords and BMW R-1150s. I like both bikes, but another dual sport option is on the horizon.
I have mentioned before that I heard over the weekend that Ducati is bringing out a true dual sport in the Multi-Strada. A guy I talk to in Italy about Ducatis said the new version of the MS was unofficially annouced in a Italy motorcycle magazine. I told the local Suzuki dealer about this and my thoughts of getting a 650 Vstrom in mean time. Hey a sale regardless to him should make him happy. Right? He gave me the attitude like how would I know about the new version of the MS coming out if he hadn't. Well, the bone head just lost a sale and heck he didn't even know what pannies were, I had to explain to him they are also known as saddle bags.
So. Should I wait on getting a liter bike before I get more dirt experience with a larger bike? Or nurse myself into using the larger bike?
Blackpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:09 PM   #11
Jabba
"HOLD THE LIGHT!!!"

Oddometer: 12,550
How 'bout filling out the profile, Noob!?

"The road to paradise is paradise" Jacques Yves Cousteau
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 01:54 PM   #12
Blackpaw OP
Peter

Question thought I did....????

I thought I did fill out my profile.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #13
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122