Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
DiscoDino
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthelimech
The soles are different and the leather isn't as purdy on the Scout. I have the Scouts and like them so far!
And did you try them in the rain? I'm very interested in them...right price, right look, right features...
Old 09-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
matthelimech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
[quote=DiscoDino]And did you try them in the rain? I'm very interested in them...right price, right look, right features...[/quote

I haven't yet, but they look like they will do as good as my Sidi On Roads
matthelimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #18
Matttys
Matt the Balloon Guy

Oddometer: 436
Is there any protection in the Scouts or are these pretty much AStars version of the Discovery?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #19
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,898
I've had two pairs of Alpinestars boots over the years (not the particular ones in the OP), and they've given me excellent service and comfort. I would order Alpinestars boots again without worry.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:23 AM   #20
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
ok I started a Scout thread and there are more scout replies in here. I can find very sparse info on these boots and the question that is keeping me from buying them right now is the height. How tall are these things? Same as an SM-X or as tall as the Sidi Canyon/OnRoad?

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 AM   #21
matthelimech
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEasy
ok I started a Scout thread and there are more scout replies in here. I can find very sparse info on these boots and the question that is keeping me from buying them right now is the height. How tall are these things? Same as an SM-X or as tall as the Sidi Canyon/OnRoad?
They are same height as my on roads, 14" I think.
matthelimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #22
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Thanks man

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 06:32 AM   #23
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 212
Bringing this thread back to life; anyone tried the Durbans yet?
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
I have had mine for about a year and have no complaints! They look good, have been completely waterproof (and I've given them a few challenges), and have softened up into a very comfortable pair of boots. I do wish that I could get them in half sizes (I have to wear a 10 but am a 9.5W), and I also wish that that sole wasn't quite as flat as it is, but that's just a personal thing.

If the Scout had been available when I was shopping, I might have gotten them, but I don't regret it.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #25
Rydah
Remember the Night Rydah!

Oddometer: 212
Thanks for the info. Why do you say you might have gotten the Scout instead? What makes the Durban so much pricier than the Scout? Now that I know it's waterproof, I would assume the Durban has more protection than the Scout, and if so, then I'd pay the extra to get that.
Rydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:22 AM   #26
frtzl
Mors longa, vita brevis

Oddometer: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydah
Thanks for the info. Why do you say you might have gotten the Scout instead? What makes the Durban so much pricier than the Scout? Now that I know it's waterproof, I would assume the Durban has more protection than the Scout, and if so, then I'd pay the extra to get that.
In my case, the price for the Scout would have been influential. I think that the Durban is a bit more "polished" than the Scout and has a bit less of the "enduro/MX" look, i.e. when worn under jeans they don't immediately suggest "BIKE BOOTS." Whether that's worth $200 is hard to say.

I haven't worn the Scouts so I can't comment on their protection.

F

My rides:
2009 BMW F650GS (The Cruise Basselope)
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125 (Sold due to new commute)
2000 BMW R1100R (Blaue Engel) (Traded)
2006 DL650 Euro Black, lightly customized (Godzuki) (Sold)
frtzl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #27
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg
Tap into America

Oddometer: 504
I scored a pair of very lightly used Durbans off of Ebay recently and I love them. Comfortable, warm and waterproof, I have ridden in them down to 15 deg without my feet getting too cold (for 35 miles, my daily commute). Not big and bulky, over pants go over them easily, latches like 'crosser boots, comfy to walk in.

HOWEVER, they are expensive, $479 on Revzilla, almost twice the cost of the Scout and even though the Durbans are great, they're not twice the boot the Scout appears to be.

If you have the cash to spend, then you should get a pair, they're a great boot but if money is more of an issue, buy the Scouts - you won't be disappointed with those either.
Sir Denis Eton-Hogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:04 AM   #28
Night_Wolf
Leg Humper

Oddometer: 8,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by linny999
I scored a pair of very lightly used Durbans off of Ebay recently and I love them. Comfortable, warm and waterproof, I have ridden in them down to 15 deg without my feet getting too cold (for 35 miles, my daily commute). Not big and bulky, over pants go over them easily, latches like 'crosser boots, comfy to walk in.

HOWEVER, they are expensive, $479 on Revzilla, almost twice the cost of the Scout and even though the Durbans are great, they're not twice the boot the Scout appears to be.

If you have the cash to spend, then you should get a pair, they're a great boot but if money is more of an issue, buy the Scouts - you won't be disappointed with those either.
The main difference between the Scout & the Durban is the Gore-Tex liner. I'll spend the extra and get the Durban just because of the Gore-Tex

L 51.01.900 / L W 114.05.900

"That road less traveled is a toll road, and sometimes the charge is more expensive than we ever expected. Most of the time, it's a one way road. Make the decision, hope for the best, and start traveling. Carry lots of coins." PecosBill

Pick good friends and you'll never be lacking Family Me
Night_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #29
pgods
Godspeed rider

Oddometer: 753
got the Scout

Very nice boot at a great value. Comfortable right out of the box. I ride a 1200GS and it seems like the perfect boot for dual sport "dirty road riding".

As for the Goretex argument (Scout vs Durban), like your feet aren't going to sweat behind all that thick leather- even with Goretex? Save your money and go for the Scout IMHO.

pgods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:21 PM   #30
Dan Man
ex-adventurer

Oddometer: 428
The Scouts have kept my feet bone dry, even thought some decent rain storms. However .....one time in the worse rain I've ridden in for an extended period of time, my socks were wet in parts (everything got real wet this day). It was quite odd, since they were waterproof in lighter rain after that. I've even stood ankle deep in water.