User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #31
Stu
Buffo Maximus

Oddometer: 874
Replacement Boot

I've been looking for a replacement for my all leather Alpinestars with the metal plate on the front. This older boot is apparently not made now. The Durban looks like a good replacement.

Question: is the Durban flexible enough for shifting easily as was the old all leather boot?

Stu
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 AM   #32
Subutai
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Wolf View Post
The main difference between the Scout & the Durban is the Gore-Tex liner. I'll spend the extra and get the Durban just because of the Gore-Tex
I've got a pair of Alpinestars waterproof street boots, SMX-5 I believe, just regular "waterproof", no Gore-Tex and they have kept me dry in torrential downpour, so what comes to Alpinestars I trust their "regular" waterproofing and would not spend 200 for just the Gore-Tex tag.

Durban looks like a great boot but is it worth 500, I couldn't say.
Subutai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #33
Booyashaka
Ride Report Junkie

Oddometer: 126
Alpinestars fit

Can anyone chirp in with how alpinestars fit, between models? I'd really like to pick up a pair of the Scouts but I don't know how the fit will work out without the half sizing. I'm normally a 10.5. I tried on a pair of Tech 7s to check the fit...10 was too small and 11 was too big. Is the sizing consistent between models? I haven't seen these boots available to try on anywhere and I can't convince myself to buy without trying on first.
Booyashaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #34
OlyRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
tweener sizes

My Scouts run true to size, IMO.

Of course, it is always better to err on the large size, and adjust with footbeds, than to go too small with no options.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #35
Booyashaka
Ride Report Junkie

Thanks OlyRider.

I figured they must run true to size, if they are sized the same as the Tech 7s. Like I said, the 10s were too small and the 11s were too big...and I normally wear a 10.5 Looks like they aren't sized for me. When you say footbeds, do you mean just putting thicker insoles in to eat up some space?
Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #36
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyashaka View Post
Thanks OlyRider.

I figured they must run true to size, if they are sized the same as the Tech 7s. Like I said, the 10s were too small and the 11s were too big...and I normally wear a 10.5 Looks like they aren't sized for me. When you say footbeds, do you mean just putting thicker insoles in to eat up some space?

Thick insoles + merino wool socks and your good to go with a 11!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #37
Booyashaka
Ride Report Junkie

Found some...sort of

Looks like Dualsport plus in Stoney Creek stocks em. It's 5 hr + drive so I'll have to find an excuse to go down there for work soon. I can't buy boots without tying them on first. Thanks for the tips though.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:05 AM   #38
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,661
Question protection ?

i have a pair of the Gaerne balance oiled boots that are on their second pair of soles now. after crashing in them yesterday and taking a trip to the ER due to torn ligaments and tendons in the top of my foot.. they are being retired.

so to the point. .

im concerned about the protection in these boots.
is there a hard toe ?

is there "side of the foot protection " ?

is there a "shank " in the boot ?
off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 AM   #39
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,824
also contemplating these boots, so any additional recent/longterm feedback you guys that have them can provide will be helpful.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #40
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
I love my Tech8s for off-road, but I was attracted to these as something a little more walkable for dual-sport and long trips. Read up on the Gaerne Balance, too. Ended up deciding I like the Sidi Adventure with the protection from its MX-like ankle supports but overall lighter, easier in/out, etc formula. Tried some on locally at Extreme Supply (they had the Rain in stock). They're definitely on the list. Jeans fit over the tops easily, though YMMV if you've fallen victim to the skinny jeans hipster fad and ride a lightly customized CB350 to the coffee shop.
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #41
Dean74
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
feedbacl on the durbans

hi all, i took a set of durbans on an 18month RTW trip, rain, hail, snow, ice, mud, bog, walking in ankle deep water all day - they stayed bone dry the whole way.
Great boots, pity they are discontinued now or i'd buy another pair.
Mine have some cracks in the leather and stitching is coming loose on top, but i did wear them everyday for 18 months - all day, 100,000km of riding and more to the point i never put a drop of leather care into them - something i'll do differently next time as i think they'd still be fine otherwise.

am now considering a pair of dainese visoke, bit nervous about them not being goretex as i got used to wading through rivers and streams staying dry, but hopefully they will hold up ok. anyone with some experience with these would be nice to hear from.

dean.

www.donkeyandthemule.com.au
Dean74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #42
Shov3BR
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 263
Feedback on the Durbans

I bought a pair of these Durbans and found them to be either made wrong or have a design issue for certain foot shapes. The left boot fit fine but the right one dug into the side of my foot so hard that I couldn't wear it. If you look at the picture in the first post you will see that small triangular shaped plastic piece just behind and above the logo on the sole. That part and the big piece around it are somewhat stiff plastic and the triangular shaped piece protrudes into the boot. It hit my foot just above my little toe joint (that lump at the side) and pressed in like someone was standing on it. I noticed that on the right (painful boot) the big plastic piece had a lot more inward bend to it at the point where the triangle was located. I tried heating it slightly with a hair dryer in an effort to relieve the pressure. It was OK for a few minutes but went back to its original position.
I wound up returning them and buying a pair of Gaerne balance oiled boots which fit great. They don't have the same level of protection as the Durbans but at least I can wear them for hours on end.
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #43
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
also contemplating these boots, so any additional recent/longterm feedback you guys that have them can provide will be helpful.
+1 for this.

Curious to know, as what asked earlier but not answered, if there is any ankle protection (against rollover/impact) beyond the leather.

Thanks
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #44
motostrano
Supermotoman

Oddometer: 268
We happen to have a couple Durbans on clearance in size 9 for the bargain shopper:

http://www.motostrano.com/v/vspfiles...100605-9-2.jpg
Ask me anything at all. CALL or TEXT 650-918-6259, PM or click www.motostrano.com SIDI, Wolfman Luggage, Gimoto. "advrider" code for 10% off Wolfman Luggage shipping out of our California retail store.
motostrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #45
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
I'm not sure how Alpinestars sizing matches up--do they say what the Euro equivalent is on these?
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote