User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,522
The TNJT K.I.S.S./ D.I.Y. tour: April 24-26th

Starting a ride report here where proper ride reports belong. Some photos and anecdotes have already been posted by the day-trippers in the planning thread in the Eastern Regional forum here. But the greater public has a right to know all the details.

Now it's time to hear the behind-the-scenes stories and to see the never-before-seen photos from the through-riders... well, from anyone who rode, actually.

For those who don't know, the TNJT is the New Jersey equivalent of the TAT. Sort of. TNJT has more loops. And it's only in NJ. Rob23 is the route-master, and it's loads of fun. I don't think it's possible to do the whole thing with the hero sections in less than a week. We did a lot in three days... and we skipped a little.

More to follow.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
dlew
Daypass Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,144
dlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 AM   #3
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Leaving nyc

To pick up Chris just over the GWB.

He was struggling a little to get his gear loaded on his bike, and halfway to the meet-up point, he decided it was too unstable and called it a day. I think that was the right call, and I 100% appreciate and respect his judgment on this. In retrospect, he made the right call.

Keep working on the packing and riding Chris... we'll still be here to ride with.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Hmmmm

My mileage at the start:

Old 04-27-2009, 03:18 AM   #5
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The through riders

Lou (HP2):

And John (klr):

Dialogue;
John: "I have a klr, it's just like a ktm except the suspension's not as good, and it starts back up after it's fallen over."
Brian: "I can't hear you"

DR. Rock screwed with this post 04-27-2009 at 04:42 AM
Old 04-27-2009, 03:21 AM   #6
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A little pavement to start

Just the first hints of green on the ground,

and into the dirt...

Note the abundance of rocks and lack of sand.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:24 AM   #7
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

The 950 SE armada

pulling up.

Nice bikes for a day ride. Then you have to go home and change the oil or something.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #8
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

A canister on Canistear

Simple juicy air-cooled goodness.

This bike was built for this kind of trip. I love it. It rocks.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 AM   #9
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,057
Bring on the fun

Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 AM   #10
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Plumbing un-plumbed, bike started, seat back on... ready to roll:

Brian was having oil light issues, and strange noises... towed to the dealer later... what's the outcome?
Old 04-27-2009, 03:38 AM   #11
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Ok, the ibuprofen is kicking in

I'm gonna have to take a break from the RR and head to work, but the rest of you feel free to plunder my trip photos on smugmug from this gallery, or use your own, and provide commentary.

It's a D.I.Y. ride report for a D.I.Y. ride. Let's try to keep it somewhat sequential... nothing about the nuns and the donkey, or the bike in the tree just yet.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:58 AM   #12
Motor 1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 520
Don't let work get in the way of this RR.
Ruta del Cakebaker
Motor 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #13
NJEnduroBiker
'07 KTM950SE

Oddometer: 162
Eek

Thanks Dr. Rock for organizing a great ride
Unfortunately, I was only able to complete ~100 miles of the TNJT
Here's how my day ended

The flickering oil light became the constant ON oil light
Then, the engine started making noise
Yes, I know it's an LC8, it was making more noise than usual
The good news is that my insurance policy includes roadside assistance
Thanks to Peter for arriving in <30 min and taking good care of my bike
We arrived at the dealer at 5:15pm, service closes at 5:30 and is closed on Saturday and Monday So I'm hoping for a diagnosis/prognosis tomorrow.
More good news, my warranty is good until June

Prior to the oil light situation, everything was going swimmingly until I decided to wash the left side of my bike in some "clean" standing water

Walter, thanks for helping me pick it up
I'm still waiting for the video
Barry, thanks for helping me get it started
Not sure if the bath had anything to do with the oil pressure
But if it did, then KTM should learn how to make a dirt bike that can fall over without breaking

Thanks to Rob23 for the route and David for planning the trip
John and Lou, it was great meeting you.
I was glad to see your bikes taking naps in the sand of south Jersey

I hope to ride with you again soon.
Brian
NJEnduroBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:50 AM   #14
tundra61
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 916
Looks like a good ride. I am just over the GW and need to join the next one. Maybe it's the result of growing up riding in the area but I think the rocky trails of the north are so much more fun than the sand of the south.
tundra61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
toofast4uu
adventurer

Oddometer: 963
subscribed!