Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,673
Question Weestrom vs. WeeGee for 2-up comfort?

Pod people I need opines from you who have piloted both the Classic Weestrom and the revised newbie which I dub "WeeGee" since I despise the !^%$@@#@! names idiots have given the bike.

For 2-up comfort, including but not exclusive to aftermarket seats, is there any demonstrable diff between them for the passenger? Ask your significant rider to chime in... This is a burning question I have not seen surfaced anywhere

And... this should be a separate thread, but if you have tried several diff seats and picked an obvious winner for such a chore, let us know your pick, rationale, etc.

Thx!
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
realshelby
FLAKE

Oddometer: 100
They are basically the same bike as far as peg position, seat height and stuff like that. I do think the '12 650 has a little better stock seat for the passenger compared to the one the '04 650 came with. A good seat makes all the difference anyway. My wife has never complained about the seat on our '12 650, although she probably hasn't done much more than 250 miles at a time.

WERKS modified clutch baskets for V Strom. Eliminate Chudder for good.
WERKS Final Drive Minders for Beemers available HERE
realshelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:39 AM   #3
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

gorgeous seat. if looks mean anything
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #4
cycleman2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 514
I just have the 2012 DL650 so I can't do a direct comparison.

My wife and I have only done a couple of 200 mile rides and she had no issues with the stock seat, other than the bike is much taller than our Harley was, so I think she feels that maybe and issue for her ie: further from the ground. She's fairly tall 5' 6" and the seat to peg ratio maybe a bit short for her, but we haven't done any 500 mile days. I know for me the seat to peg ratio was too short and I had to lower the pegs.

This winter I've put on a Corbin seat, but with -27 C can't get out and ride. She's sat on the new seat in the garage. This seat is a bit wider but about the same length.

The biggest issue I ever find with any bike is the seat. Over the years I've spend $ 1000's of dollars on motorcycle seats. So when I buy a bike it is a given that I'm going to have to mess around the seat. Bottom line I don't think there is any real difference between the different year stock Wee seats.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:16 AM   #5
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,736
"I don't think there is any real difference between the different year stock Wee seats.
"

2012- seat is completely different compared to older Wee's. I've got a 2007 and -12, but since my wife is mostly taking care of the kids these days, I have practically no pillion opinion about the newer bike. She rode a lot with me on the -07, and I don't see why she couldn't be happy on the -12, too. For me, the new (rider's) seat has definitely been an improvement.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #6
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

i have heard from others that the stock seat on the revision is much improved. I've sat on one and it did feel much diff - felt more like the DL1000 seat that I had customized a bit for my k4

i should do a separate thread on aftermarket seats for the strom, just to see if there is a consensus from those who are "gloriously overjoyed" vs. those who are merely tolerant
Old 02-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #7
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,848
Had a Sargent for my 04 strom. Worked great for me and my wife.
Would buy another in a heartbeat if I had a 2012 strom.
Now have a Sargent on my DR and love it too.
Sargent takes their time and does seats right IMO.
The are the best at building a mass produced aftermarket seat & pan, but still not as good as a pure custom seat.
http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Ac...i-VStrom-2012/

I've tried Corbins, not a fan.
Seat Concepts has a seat, but they do not optimize the passenger portion shape.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 02-25-2014 at 03:10 PM
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Corbin is hit/miss. some good, even great... I had a corbin 'gunfighter' on a shadow spirit 1100 and it was fabulous. same on a roadstar [gunfighter]. never had a 2-corbin i liked.
I've never had a Sargent either. thx for the linky
Old 02-27-2014, 12:25 AM   #9
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,060
We used to have two 04 DL's in the house.
But my wife would ride on the back some times, and I rode on the back of her's a few times as well

Totally comfortable bike (both of ours had top boxes) for around town and mid length day trips
For longer rides a nicer seat would have to be in play.

Wind management is much better on the 2012DL650, but it still isn't great.

We no longer ride two up, and nobody has been on the back of my 2012DL.

But there were a lot of improvements over the first gen DL's so I would suspect that the passenger area, isn't any worse.

The suspension and handling, weight and day to day living with the bike I like the 2012 over my 2004
Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
yoohoo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
Pod people I need opines from you who have piloted both the Classic Weestrom and the revised newbie which I dub "WeeGee" since I despise the !^%$@@#@! names idiots have given the bike.

Thx!

X2. That idiotic glee nickname is the stupidest thing I've heard. It makes me nauseous every time I see it. I mean seriously what douchebag comes up with that......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yoohoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I know who that was, but wouldn't say -- he's a nice person, and this thing is prob the only slip for his part
Old 02-27-2014, 09:40 PM   #12
lacofdfireman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
I can't speak for the "GLEE" Lame name.. I have an 07 DL650 though and the wife has no complaints. Well for full disclosure she doesn't ride with me much so when I say she doesn't mind the bike it's because she doesn't log a ton of miles with me. She has made mention to me that this bike seems comfortable for her. But I do have a Russell Day Long saddle on it so it's an awesome ride. Whatever one you decide put a Russell on it for her and she will be smiling...

lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:24 PM   #13
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,539
I've owned both, carried pillions on both.

The new one is easier for the rider, comfort level for the pillion is the same, rider gets a bit more room.

Doesn't show on the dyno charts, but the newer model feels like it makes the same power as the old model, but @~1000rpm lower.

So, old bike with pillion, around town not really an issue, noticeable, but really no change to how you'd ride. In the hills I'd typically have been running one gear lower than riding solo.

New model, around town, pillion is pretty much unnoticeable, in the hills, I'd be running the same gear, just changing down a little earlier, up a little later, just because of the extra inertia from the weight of the pillion.

No killing difference, if you can get the old model for a lot less, do that anyway. It's not a slow bike 2-up and it has no problem with the extra revs.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

nice looking seat! I should have kept my 04 and bought that.
the thing ain't a pillion behind, its a recliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
I can't speak for the "GLEE" Lame name.. I have an 07 DL650 though and the wife has no complaints. Well for full disclosure she doesn't ride with me much so when I say she doesn't mind the bike it's because she doesn't log a ton of miles with me. She has made mention to me that this bike seems comfortable for her. But I do have a Russell Day Long saddle on it so it's an awesome ride. Whatever one you decide put a Russell on it for her and she will be smiling...