User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #136
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 842
Check this out!!!!

For anyone interested in a 21 inch front wheel conversion on a strom, check this out...

http://www.bikesales.com.au/all-bikes/private/details.aspx?R=3195387&__sid=124501CC2132&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=p_RankSort_Int32|1||p_Make_String|0||p_Model_ String|0||p_YearMade_Int32|1||p_PriceSort_Decimal| 1&keywords=&__N=1432%20604%201429%201428%204294967268%20429496 0808&seot=1&__No=15&__Nne=15&trecs=19&silo=1400
Old 06-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #137
fatalerror
skrik vir niks

Oddometer: 847
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman
For anyone interested in a 21 inch front wheel conversion on a strom, check this out...

a really long frikking link

"Franken-Strom" Husaberg 48mm USD front forks, Husaberg 21" Front wheel, Brembo brake and 320mm motard front disc, Motard guard, Magura taper bars, Ego barkbusters. B&B Bashplate, Centrestand. Pannier racks/supports. 17" Husaberg rear wheel with cush drive, Alloy exhaust silencer. Mitas EO9 Dakar tyres (Good condition), New chain and sprockets.
fatalerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:36 AM   #138
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalerror
"Franken-Strom" Husaberg 48mm USD front forks, Husaberg 21" Front wheel, Brembo brake and 320mm motard front disc, Motard guard, Magura taper bars, Ego barkbusters. B&B Bashplate, Centrestand. Pannier racks/supports. 17" Husaberg rear wheel with cush drive, Alloy exhaust silencer. Mitas EO9 Dakar tyres (Good condition), New chain and sprockets.
Yup long link but a long mod list too.......
Old 06-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #139
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman

Aussy bike
I send the owner and email about his mods here's what he had to say

Q:
Awesome v-strom build. I'm looking into adapting some spoke weeks for mine, but leaving the suspension stock. Can you give me any more info about the Husaburg rear wheel? Do you know what bike it came off of?

A:
Quote:
Ummmmmmmmmm.. it came off a Husaberg! It is one of my Husaberg/KTM Motard 17" rims that will fit any 'berg or KTM (not V twins or 690 Enduro, they have a wider hub)from late '90's. Same axle dia and hub width. I had adaptors machined to accept the std Suzuki disc and a spacer to fit a Husaberg/KTM 520 sprocket (std 525). I then changed the front sprocket to 520 from a DR I think, and a 520 chain. The stud pattern of the VStrom rear sprocket made it difficult to machine a spacer to use it.

The front end is off the same Husaberg. I had a special front axle machined so that I could run the VStrom speedo pick up. Slight mods to the wheel required as well. Changing from the 19" front wheel to the 21' front wheel changed the speedo calibration so it was very close to actual speed on the speedo when checked with my GPS.
Q:
Thanks for the info. The adaptors for the disc what needed to be adapted, was it just for the bolt pattern or did you need to change the width as well? Why the spacer on the sprocket, could you not source a KTM sprocket in a 525 and needed to keep everything in alignment?

A:
Quote:
The back wheel needed adaptors to make it wider to line up the disc and spocket; disc and sprocket spacers. I used a 520 KTM sprocket because I had it in the shed. Yes I could have bought a 525 KTM sprocket. But as long as the inside edge of the sprockets front and back are in line I can fit 520 or 525 sets. The KTM sprocket has 6 studs and I think the VStrom has 5 and it made it difficult to use the VStrom sprocket. I used the VStrom brake disc.I also made axle spacers to increase the width of the hub to suit the swingarm with the std rear axle, it is the same dia as the Husaberg axle.

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 05:16 AM   #140
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

This is similar as what I had to do to mine. I had to machine up some spacers to run the standard dl rear disc and then use a dr650 rear procket with a spacer to gain the extra width, its not to much work really except the machining. Its a pretty cool looking build, if someone in the north of oz is after a strom that might be a good buy if still avaliable.

I'll be interested if someone ends up finding a cush drive hub that is the same width as a stock dl rear wheel, anyone know what the width of the transalp hub is?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:32 PM   #141
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

time on my hands

Heres a couple of pics of some fun I have been having

Getting closer to be able to design a fairing around the front end. Hopefully that will enable me to design the nav/instrument brackets etc to correct sizes without having to guess like I did last time. Making the fairing easier is the aim with measurements that are a lot more specific. The wheel should be fairly easy to complete (with tyre) and I already have a ktm adv front fender that I'll make brackets to fit. All this should be able to be done on Soildworks.

Although I have gained a headache , and the computer sometimes as a 10 inch screened ultra portable EEE Pc is not really up to serious cad design.

tileman screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 01:55 AM
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:39 PM   #142
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

more fun

Eyes are sore, and not for the usual advrider reading.......mezos thread......

I had a go at the tyre (i figured a tkc 80), but somehwere along the lines I got a dimension wrong, and well it came out more like a slick. But I may have another go......

Old 06-16-2010, 11:56 PM   #143
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,881
Holy crap that's some nice cad work. Are you self taught or did you do a course?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #144
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
Holy crap that's some nice cad work. Are you self taught or did you do a course?
I think self teaching is the current answer. I am enjoying it though.

Fixed the tire problem I had, heres the current stage of completion.

Having used this now for about a month its great to be able to mod created parts so easily. For example, add disc mounts to the hub, which then updates the wheel sub assembly and then updates the front end assembly. When I used Autocad (which may be able to do this) I never considered doing this as I didn't know how. This program makes it easier and I think the results work OK. Being I think a program that forces designing and building in 3D vs 2D how I did with CAD creates inital issues with my brain but once past that damn it works.

Please don't get the idea that I'd rather be doing this work on a computer than my bike, but since its 13000 miles away this is as good as it gets.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #145
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

fairing

I've been trying vainly to get the front fairing designed but I have run into a few problems making the parts join together in Solidworks. I'll attached a current pic in the next few days but it is doing my head in a bit.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:04 PM   #146
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
Respect to you for your work mate. Obviously a very clever fellow not afraid of having a go and learning something new, all power to you.

Trev
STROM-CRF450X-990SMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:53 AM   #147
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

you done any more yet?
Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM   #148
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
you done any more yet?
Heres the current entry, the shell app doesn't seem to like some of the design at the moment so I can't get a rough weight of the fairing but hopefully I'll figure a way round that soon.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:57 PM   #149
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Bloody he'll your getting the hang of that cad program
Old 07-10-2010, 01:17 PM   #150
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Bloody he'll your getting the hang of that cad program
If only I had a cad machine to make it from. Looks like i'll have to make if from foam or something and make moulds. Either way should be fun and another learning curve..............