User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 01:54 PM   #151
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
My Idea.

I have read that the JVO fairing functions a little like a barn door on open road sections but as its designed for rallyes and not for the road I figured I'd angle the top section back a bit, also its real easy to do so why not....

tileman screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 01:55 AM
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #152
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,282
Anchor point on tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman
My Idea.

Where the idea came from.

I have read that the JVO fairing functions a little like a barn door on open road sections but as its designed for rallyes and not for the road I figured I'd angle the top section back a bit, also its real easy to do so why not....

Tileman, you are doing a great job, I'm sure a lot of VStrom owner would chang fairing in a flash should an affordable one pop up.
DO you intend to use the anchor points on the tank?
Also, do you know of a cheap way of learning Solidworks?
I have some stuss I would like to model and patent.

Thanks

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:33 AM   #153
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,933
Quote:
If only I had a cad machine to make it from. Looks like i'll have to make if from foam or something and make moulds. Either way should be fun and another learning curve..............
Guess what? I have a Stratasys Fortus 400mc Large Build. IE I can make 16"x14"x16" parts out of ABS, ABS/PC, or Polycarbonate directly from .STL files.

If it's a really cool design, we may be willing to make one for you in return for being able to use it at for display. But it has to be something special: if it's a bunch of flat surfaces it will be relatively easy to fabricate it from ABS or build a simple thermoforming tool.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:11 AM   #154
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman
Guess what? I have a Stratasys Fortus 400mc Large Build. IE I can make 16"x14"x16" parts out of ABS, ABS/PC, or Polycarbonate directly from .STL files.

If it's a really cool design, we may be willing to make one for you in return for being able to use it at for display. But it has to be something special: if it's a bunch of flat surfaces it will be relatively easy to fabricate it from ABS or build a simple thermoforming tool.
Well if your aim was to get me interested you've succeeded.

Since the part is larger than 16"x14"x16" I suspect I would have to re design in 3 parts. I plan for the panels to be curved and I'm getting the basic design worked first. Wether you could make a part or not, how about I send you a CAD drawing and let me know, well whatever really.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #155
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarBlues
Tileman, you are doing a great job, I'm sure a lot of VStrom owner would chang fairing in a flash should an affordable one pop up.
DO you intend to use the anchor points on the tank?
Also, do you know of a cheap way of learning Solidworks?
I have some stuss I would like to model and patent.

Thanks
I am thinking of using the tank to anchor the fairing but that will not be the only point of attachment. My plan was to try and create a styrofoam blank of the basic design, create a mould, create a part from fibreglass and then modify it with brace panels to the tank etc.... As per the drawings a few pages back I also intend to created a nav tower style brace which is the reason in part behind the CAD stuff. Hopefully I can get an idea of sizes needed as the drawing should guve me values that are pretty close to reality. Well thats the plan..............

As per the Solidworks question. I have a 2003 copy that I got some years back. I had never used it but the AutoCAd program (2004) that I had kept crashing so I changed over 5 or so months ago. I've never done any training, just followed the online tutorials and then kept trying things to see what happened etc........so I really don't have any suggestions other than load it up and see what happens............. Good luck with it, any specific questions I may be able to help?????

tileman screwed with this post 07-11-2010 at 07:30 AM
Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #156
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

If you make a buck, it might be easier to heat a sheet of ABS and drape it over the form, then finish the edges.

If the form is porous, you can bring it to a thermoforming shop and have them pull it for you.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 07-11-2010, 07:41 AM   #157
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
If you make a buck, it might be easier to heat a sheet of ABS and drape it over the form, then finish the edges.

If the form is porous, you can bring it to a thermoforming shop and have them pull it for you.
I used ABS in the inital build but bent it by hand and the results are a few pages back. In a back shed I think fibreglass is probably a easier option. My real stumbled block is making the form. Once thats done I think the next steps aren't quite so hard. I'm not planning on making others of this as my bike will end up with a different light, brackets etc and the light bracket mount on th frame that exists will be removed, so its a one off.

I figure strom owners aren't like beemer or ktm owners in the sense that they in general won't spend big dollars making their bike look different/accessorising when the end result doesn't really change the function much. They'd probably buy a different bike, its just mine has been crashed and it was modded before I crashed it, so I have nothing to lose really.

Or atleast thats my logic
Old 07-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #158
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

From the drivers seat.

I realised how to thin the body.......yipeee!!!!

tileman screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 01:56 AM
Old 07-11-2010, 04:28 PM   #159
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Added handlebars with a 7 degree backsweep and figured out how to form better.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #160
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
//I figure strom owners aren't like beemer or ktm owners in the sense that they in general won't spend big dollars making their bike look different/accessorising when the end result doesn't really change the function much. They'd probably buy a different bike, its just mine has been crashed and it was modded before I crashed it, so I have nothing to lose really.

Or atleast thats my logic
Can't help you there. I spent over $10,000 on mine. Neither BMW nor KTM make an engine like the DL650 has, at any price. In fact a front end that would lose 20 lbs would be worth quite a lot.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #161
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
In fact a front end that would lose 20 lbs would be worth quite a lot.
20lbs is about 9kg which is a bit to lose off the front end. When I get home I'll be weighing the fairings, lights etc and figure out what the front parts that I'll be removing are. Then I'll have an idea on what I can lose, although I don't know what the weight difference of the spoked front wheel compared to the standard is, maybe its heavier so that will have to be factored in.

Glitch managed to get his DL650 down to 171kg including fuel (~376lbs) so thats something to aim for, although he eliminated a bit of stuff that I'll continue to use so we shall see....

tileman screwed with this post 07-15-2010 at 08:10 AM
Old 07-15-2010, 04:12 AM   #162
DGR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Great progress, keep it up
That last drawing with the smoothly curved windshield looks awesome.
DGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #163
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Added a mudguard, a bit lost on colors though?

I have a 640 adv guard at home so heres a rough idea of how it would look. My dl guard broke in the accident so its a replacement. I was originally going to paint it mat black and the fairing white but it looked a bit wierd so I went for a kinda ktm orange. Yup, I know, if i want a ktm buy one, but hey, its easier to change with this system and a whole lot cheaper....

Old 07-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #164
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

The nav tower brace, mounting bracket from headtube, and the spacers to the side plates. All these parts are easily modifed and/or moved so changing the design is a lot easier now that I understand so much more of the program.

Maybe I'll be able to do some drawings for others in needed.........

Old 08-03-2010, 04:21 AM   #165
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,927
you finished yet?
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote