Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 08:02 PM   #196
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,786
Nice idea mate, whats it going to be made out of?
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:41 PM   #197
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Nice idea mate, whats it going to be made out of?
5005 grade alloy for the tank. Composite is just to much for me to get my head around for the tank, fairings are a different story. found a place nearby that stocks all the parts. ongoing really. hows the ktm going, your tank was the inspiration for mine so cheers.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #198
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,083
Cool project! Any idea how much fuel it will hold?
OhioPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:45 PM   #199
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
Cool project! Any idea how much fuel it will hold?
Um. hopefully enough....... now is the time for you all to laugh,

we are working on having as much as standard but until we fill in all the gaps, fit the fuel pump, cut out the section for the tyre etc I really don't know. Hows your shock coming along, whats the time frame for it?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #200
NADZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I found 18 litres with a basic mockup that fit between the top rails, and didnt get any wider as it went down. With the modded subframe you'll get 22+ easy. Whats the details on how you joined the new bottom rails where they attach to the frame proper.Thats the part I reckon might crack. And what size rhs did you use, the standard stuff is a bit of an odd size, 18mm x 24mm if I remember right.
NADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #201
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADZ View Post
I found 18 litres with a basic mockup that fit between the top rails, and didnt get any wider as it went down. With the modded subframe you'll get 22+ easy. Whats the details on how you joined the new bottom rails where they attach to the frame proper.Thats the part I reckon might crack. And what size rhs did you use, the standard stuff is a bit of an odd size, 18mm x 24mm if I remember right.
We ground off the existing cast mounts and attached the new (25 x 12.5mm) rhs. Thats the standard size now from where I went. 25 x 18 didn't exist anymore. Don't know if thats completely true but thats what I got told and to be honest I wasn't going to run around, maybe I should have. We are going to weld braces into the subframe once its done. I still have to source a larger piece (150mm round OD x 20mm) to replicate the fuel pump mount and also the tank filler that both are in the exisiting tank so that may stall the project a bit. Hopefully in the next week we have the tank pretty well mocked up with the tyre cut out done. With 7.5 inches of planned travel in the rear the cutout is going to be pretty big so the tank volume at this moment is a bit of a guess. I agree that with the standard subframe it would be what you say but I'm not sure with the modded one, time will tell.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:59 AM   #202
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

progress

70mm shorter YZ forks with .65 springs. see how it goes sometime

tileman screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 01:58 AM
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 AM   #203
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

the reason its taking a while

Photobucket
Old 04-03-2011, 04:59 AM   #204
NADZ
Adventurer

Your doing better than me, Ive got sw motech crash bars and bash plate, and some oxford grips sitting in the lounge room.
I did get the sonic springs installed and put the handlebars back on, it looks bloody tall but I havent had a chance to put fork oil in and go for a run on it yet.
I have started making a tank from 3mm aluminium, its really hard to bend and Im 'welding' it together with Durafix rods and MAPP gas. I dont really know if its going to work. I have yet to modify the subframe, Im really trying to avoid that, even though I can stick weld pretty good. Ill get some pics up next w.end.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 AM   #205
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have started making a tank from 3mm aluminium, its really hard to bend and Im 'welding' it together with Durafix rods and MAPP gas. I dont really know if its going to work. I have yet to modify the subframe, Im really trying to avoid that, even though I can stick weld pretty good. Ill get some pics up next w.end.
Can relate to this. We have kinda given our first tank try as literally that, a try. Going to try the next one from 2.5mm alloy. Hard to build it in a back yard without the correct tools...... I had the chance to go and see the workshop of Ian Drysdale,

http://home.mira.net/~iwd/index.html

and got a few inspirations, and to see (I think I remember correctly), a 72 litre liberator bomber engine.....72 #$%# litres!!!!!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #206
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Had a slight screw up with the forks, where in my manual does it say to measure the oil level with the forks compressed!!!!!! with obvious results

They'll feel a whole lot better now!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 PM   #207
NADZ
Adventurer

My fuel tank effort was an epic fail.:( I tried to make it wider at the bottom and made a mess of it. The welding/soldering rods I was using are ok for some stuff, but shit when you try to make complicated shapes. I have had a small brainwave though...
I haven't looked at the bike for a few days and I've been trying to sort out fuel vs battery vs keep it all as LOW and CENTRAL as possible, this is how I'm going to make this beast handle well. So... to kill two birds with one stone I'll look at mocking up a tank to fill the gap between the front of the seat and the airbox, and keep half the underseat tank with the pump in it. I'll get both tanks made by someone with a TIG, and join them with the rubber hose used for filler pipe. For the front tank I can make up a basic shape, get it built, then.. wait for it, stick foam on it, carve that to desired shape, and get it covered....like a seat!! so it all lines up with the original seat. Leather fuel tank here I come!! That is the way to keep all the fuel and the heavy ass battery low and central, battery will fit next to, or behind, small tank under seat. The front tank will form the base of a cover for airbox etc. Then I get to keep my standard subframe.
Someone please feel free to punch a big hole in this idea.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #208
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
So... to kill two birds with one stone I'll look at mocking up a tank to fill the gap between the front of the seat and the airbox, and keep half the underseat tank with the pump in it. I'll get both tanks made by someone with a TIG, and join them with the rubber hose used for filler pipe. For the front tank I can make up a basic shape, get it built, then.. wait for it, stick foam on it, carve that to desired shape, and get it covered....like a seat!! so it all lines up with the original seat. Leather fuel tank here I come!! That is the way to keep all the fuel and the heavy ass battery low and central, battery will fit next to, or behind, small tank under seat. The front tank will form the base of a cover for airbox etc. Then I get to keep my standard subframe.
Someone please feel free to punch a big hole in this idea.
I like it......I think (if I understand correctly). My tank is kinda on hold at the moment. Got a tax return that was kinda more than I thought, so ........... a welder is on its way so I can play in the shed without having to borrow. So hopefully I can practice practice practice and get a good result. Should have some plastics coming to mock up the front end, a different fuel pump (which is lower) so the tank will be easier to make under the seat....lots a stuff.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:53 AM   #209
NADZ
Adventurer

Bwaahahaha Im looking at welders too, you can do alloy with a dc mig I think, and they are pretty cheap. AC tigs are pricey but a mig with disposable gas bottles might be the go. The cost of getting my tank panels cut out on a gillotine then welded will be about the same cost as a mig....but then I have to learn how to use it. Great minds think alike!
Old 04-09-2011, 02:06 AM   #210
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

NADZ, got any pics of your tanks anyway?