ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2011, 03:12 AM   #211
NADZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Whats the new fuel pump? Im leaving about 80mm under the tank for the original pump. Im thinking about 14 litres underseat and 8-10 in front of the seat. The big gains are to be made when you get the pump low, as Im sure you know. Do you think we will ever get to ride these f$%^&ing bikes!!
NADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:13 AM   #212
NADZ
Adventurer

Its horrible but Ill get photos soon....I have to rely on others for photo posting.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:19 AM   #213
NADZ
Adventurer

Whats your theory on welders?
Old 04-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #214
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by NADZ View Post
Whats the new fuel pump? Im leaving about 80mm under the tank for the original pump. Im thinking about 14 litres underseat and 8-10 in front of the seat. The big gains are to be made when you get the pump low, as Im sure you know. Do you think we will ever get to ride these f$%^&ing bikes!!
CBR 600. its a shorter for what I can gather than the standard both inside and outside of the tank. I wasn't leaving that much anyhow but hopefully 30-40mm.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:02 PM   #215
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Whats your theory on welders?
I went with tokentools, I spoke to pete there for a bit and he had lots of info/experience. In the end who knows..... but ac/dc tig is what I wanted as it does thin SS and alloy. It will be a learning experience......
Old 04-28-2011, 03:00 AM   #216
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you think we will ever get to ride these f$%^&ing bikes!!
Hoping so. Got most of the fairings now that I am using at blanks. Had a go a making a plug yesterday and had some success. Either way I didn't bugger up the one I had. I got a KTM Adv LHD front fairing and screen and I have the opposite coming soon. I also got a set of yamaha YZ front fairings. My plan is to make plugs of them all. then make reverses of those. I can then sell the originals and mould the rest together to make 2 side pods and a screen that mounts to that. well atleast thats the theory. I had to much trouble trying to figure out fairings so I think thats the best way to go for my idea. Heres a bit of a summary;

Lights locked in.
Light and instrument mount getting done.
Fairing plan sorted but still at start.
Front forks done.
Steering stops pretty close.
Rear shock I am waiting on OHIO???? to let us know how he went with his (hint hint).
Rear wheel is done.
Tank is still just a plan but locking in time to get that done tonight.
rear fairing I hope will be just a case of plastic welding the 2 ktm 530 ones I have.

And lots more
Old 04-28-2011, 03:26 AM   #217
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,023
Photos or it didn't happen
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:29 AM   #218
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Photos or it didn't happen
Yup. fair point. Weekend ????
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 AM   #219
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Rear shock I am waiting on OHIO???? to let us know how he went with his (hint hint).
Pictures are located here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680675

I just got the shock last week. It took 7 weeks to arrive from when I ordered it, but this is the busy season for suspension work and custom jobs take much longer than off-the-shelf stuff.

I originally requested the ride height adjuster, but Cogent said it would not really fit into the design with the longer shock body and longer shaft length that I needed (the RH clevis adds about 15mm to the overall shock length, compared to the normal clevis). Instead he made the shaft a few millimeters longer, and then put a spacer inside the shock to "lower" it back down to where I initially want it. This way, I can always have the spacer removed if I want the shock a little longer. He can also add a longer spacer if I ever want it lowered (not that I would ever do that). The eye-to-eye extended length of the shock right now is 355mm. This is 14mm longer than stock, and all that extra length is in travel (it's possible to make a longer shock without more travel). This ended up increasing rear wheel travel by about 41mm. So, use a 2.9:1 swingarm-to-shock travel ratio when choosing your shock length.

The cost of the shock was the same as a Wilbers unit with the same features. However, Wilbers uses a steel body (vs aluminum for the Cogent) and a smaller shaft (14 vs 16mm). The larger shaft is able to displace more fluid for the same stroke, and makes the damping easier to adjust. Cogent also has a lifetime warranty, as long as you send the shock in for servicing every couple years (~$80 labor, but replacement seals/parts are free). Wilbers charges about $170 for a servicing, and has a 5 year warranty. Cogent is located on the east coast, whereas the Wilbers dealer is in California, so that makes shipping cheaper and quicker for me. With Cogent, I get to speak directly to the guy designing, fabricating, and assembling my shock. With Wilbers, the shock is made in a factory somewhere in Germany. Plus, Cogent has a cult-like following and reputation among the international dualsport/adventure crowd. All those factors made Cogent the clear choice for me (not sure it's the best choice for someone on the other side of the planet, lol).

I also considered Works Performance (about the same price, but all the way out in California and warranty is not as good), HyperPro (about the same price, but I'm not a fan of progressive springs on a bike with a linkage), and Racetech (cost was hundreds more than the other vendors!).
OhioPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #220
jesusgatos
fishing with dynamite

Oddometer: 2,359
Looking good!
Old 04-29-2011, 04:47 AM   #221
NADZ
Adventurer

Hows the TIG going? I got a unitig today and had a crack at it tonight. Variable would be the best description of my results so far .

I will have another go on sunday, and hopefully get some photos up.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:00 AM   #222
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

So its official..... now with pics. The plans have changed a little in the past 24 hours. I have a time constraint on this project, aswell as a wedding that I am part of in Argentina, (a quite important part, mine) and then some time in Europe, and a trip not long after so the plan for now has become a little more simplified.

heres the idea......kinda well for the front end anyhow. lights sorted and the nav plate is being machined as we speak (thanks dad) so making a small fairing like attached will be easy (i have a ktm adv 990 fairing/screen).

tileman screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 02:58 AM
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 AM   #223
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

More work done. got the screen moulded today. hopefully pop the plug in the morning and make a mould. The side plates are getting shipped tomorrow, and hopefully by tomorrow night I have the mould done and start fitting it to the WR headlight surround I have.

By thursday hopefully I'll have the new screen mostly finished and while I am at it the wiring should be more sorted.

The front wheel has been a little difficult so I think I'm goin to bite the bullet and get it done by a professional

Maybe some pics in the morning.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #224
NADZ
Adventurer

Ordered a cogent shocky yet?
Old 05-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #225
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Ordered a cogent shocky yet?
waiting to speak to them tonight hopefully.