Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 11:33 PM   #226
NADZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I sent them an email today, I think Ill go 360mm overall if they can. Let em know theres 2 of us ordering, might get a few bucks off.
NADZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:57 AM   #227
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 589
Great work tileman,

hey if 2 of you are ordering, maybe 3 would get us a better deal..

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #228
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
I'll let you know some details once I have got in touch.

Do we all want the same specs?
Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 AM   #229
rpo83
Old enough to know better

Oddometer: 589
I have only quickly read Ohio and your threads.

My wee is being preped for a trip later this year. I won't mod the front end before the trip, i have added a 1 inch lift dogbone to the rear.

If i can adjust the shock Nadz and you are getting, to suit my current set up, then adjust if and when i do a 21" front wheel, it would be the perfect solution. It looks like there is a fair bit of adjustment in the shock.

I weigh 80Kg, most of the time i will ride with as little stuff on the bike, but for the trip i will be running dual 40ltr pelican cases. I don't know if this compares to your and Nadz details.

My 2011 Ride around Aus http://rpo83.blogspot.com.au/
rpo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #230
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

I got the KTM adv screen glassed up yesterday and made a mould of it this evening. Popped it out and got this;

tileman screwed with this post 02-28-2014 at 01:59 AM
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:15 AM   #231
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpo83 View Post
I have only quickly read Ohio and your threads.

My wee is being preped for a trip later this year. I won't mod the front end before the trip, i have added a 1 inch lift dogbone to the rear.

If i can adjust the shock Nadz and you are getting, to suit my current set up, then adjust if and when i do a 21" front wheel, it would be the perfect solution. It looks like there is a fair bit of adjustment in the shock.

I weigh 80Kg, most of the time i will ride with as little stuff on the bike, but for the trip i will be running dual 40ltr pelican cases. I don't know if this compares to your and Nadz details.
I think you may want to contact Cogent is regards to what you need. Nadz and I have kinda similar setups I think, both have USD front ends etc. If your using the normal front end I think the geometry will change quite a bit unless as you say you can mod the shock to suit, hence I think you'll have to contact them. I have heard that email response is a little slow (this isn't confirmed, just something I read) hence I'm giving them a call. Also I want to have this organised in the next week if possible so if were going to order 3 then we had better figure what we each need pretty soon as I'm happy to do it while AUS 1.10 US$ etc)
Old 05-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #232
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Off topic maybe, but has anyone else watched this show "winter wipeout", its piss funny
Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #233
NADZ
Adventurer

A: winter wipeout is awesome

B: I think it would be a real struggle to use this shock without a big lift at the front, it doesnt have height adjustment externally. The back would be too high even if you slid the forks right down as far as safely possible. Dont fight it, just make it so tall with a usd front you have to mod EVERYTHING on the bike to make it all work.

I gave the TIG another crack today, slowly getting it together, Im sick of saying Ill post pics, so lets just say, when I have a result the pics will go up!

Im on board for that $1.10 to the u.s shocky!!! I need all the lift I can get, if the shocks not enough I'll go down to a 19in front.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:33 PM   #234
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADZ View Post
A: winter wipeout is awesome

B: I think it would be a real struggle to use this shock without a big lift at the front, it doesnt have height adjustment externally. The back would be too high even if you slid the forks right down as far as safely possible. Dont fight it, just make it so tall with a usd front you have to mod EVERYTHING on the bike to make it all work. Thats what I reckon.

I gave the TIG another crack today, slowly getting it together, Im sick of saying Ill post pics, so lets just say, when I have a result the pics will go up! progress pics are needed....

Im on board for that $1.10 to the u.s shocky!!! I need all the lift I can get, if the shocks not enough I'll go down to a 19in front. You DEFINITELY need to speak to them as your requirements are very different
In speaking to rick i think it would be possible. I going for a shock that gives me about 200mm of rear wheel travel but only about 50mm of lift. I think your going to need quite a bit more........ hehe

I spoke to Rick at cogent for a while this morning. I ended up ordering a shock. similar to what "OHIO/mark" ordered without the remote compression adjustment which I have never had or felt the need for. I think I'm in pretty good hands after speaking to Rick who has quite a few shocks in OZ as well as fork mods etc.......

In reference to getting a few shocks done and shipped there would be issues at customs here. over a grand and GST gets added as the customs form would list the value. Also
the insurance value is calculated on the customs form so if they went missing......well I'd like to get some cash back. Also in speaking to rick the shipping cost ($75) wouldn't change much (10 bucks) so there is not enough of a gain there for me. I don't think that 2 or 3 shocks is going to get some discount and to be honest after speaking to him I don't think I'd want to ask.....am I a softy ......

I'm also heading of in a week for a wedding (mine) in Argentina so I wanted to get this done before I left.

tileman screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 02:43 PM
Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 PM   #235
NADZ
Adventurer

So how do you know what the lengths of your new shock will be? From full extension to full compression?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #236
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
So how do you know what the lengths of your new shock will be? From full extension to full compression?
Try this thread started by OHIO.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=680675

These were the details and measurements that I have used and spoke to Rick about. I think he wrote some details on your thread which may I add hasn't received much updates recently .... you know the drill. we rely on other threads while ours is paused and since mine is about to be paused for a bit......cumon!!!!! hehehe (I accept watching to much winter wipeout as a possible excuse).
Old 05-03-2011, 03:55 AM   #237
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
The compressed length should be the same as stock. Rick has a stock shock in his shop, so he used that for reference. I never measured the compressed length of the shock without the bumper, but with the bumper in place, it is 278mm. I think it is 269mm without it. The extended length of the stock shock is 341mm, which I measured myself. I had Rick set my shock at 355mm (14 longer than stock). This added 41mm of travel to the rear wheel on my 2004. Later year DL's have a slightly longer swingarm, so that is something to consider.

Something to be aware of: not all suspension shops measure compressed shock length the same. In my research I found that some places measure it with the bumper in place (such as Wilbers, and Elka) and some measure it without the bumper (Ohlins, Progressive Suspension, and Cogent). This is important if you are ordering a custom shock so that they set the compressed length properly. The safe bet is to just tell them to set it the same as the stock shock (they should have that measurement in their database).

OhioPT screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 04:02 AM
OhioPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:15 AM   #238
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
The compressed length should be the same as stock. Rick has a stock shock in his shop, so he used that for reference. I never measured the compressed length of the shock without the bumper, but with the bumper in place, it is 278mm. I think it is 269mm without it. The extended length of the stock shock is 341mm, which I measured myself. I had Rick set my shock at 355mm (14 longer than stock). This added 41mm of travel to the rear wheel on my 2004. Later year DL's have a slightly longer swingarm, so that is something to consider.

Something to be aware of: not all suspension shops measure compressed shock length the same. In my research I found that some places measure it with the bumper in place (such as Wilbers, and Elka) and some measure it without the bumper (Ohlins, Progressive Suspension, and Cogent). This is important if you are ordering a custom shock so that they set the compressed length properly. The safe bet is to just tell them to set it the same as the stock shock (they should have that measurement in their database).
Thanks OhioPT. I've ordered mine and like you said, rick and joyce are both really helpful and like doing different stuff. I look foward to get it...!!!
Old 05-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #239
OhioPT
Adventure Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman View Post
Thanks OhioPT. I've ordered mine and like you said, rick and joyce are both really helpful and like doing different stuff. I look foward to get it...!!!
You said you didn't order the external compression adjustment (or did you mean the remote preload adjuster?). I take it this means it won't have a remote reservoir either? Is it going to be his basic Moab/World's Edge shock (decarbon type, with an internal floating piston), but made to a longer length? When I spoke to him before he wasn't 100% sure he could make the basic shock with the requested amount of extra travel. That's the main reason we decided to go with the remote reservoir for my shock. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the shock costing you in USD?
OhioPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #240
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
You said you didn't order the external compression adjustment (or did you mean the remote preload adjuster?). I take it this means it won't have a remote reservoir either? Is it going to be his basic Moab/World's Edge shock (decarbon type, with an internal floating piston), but made to a longer length? When I spoke to him before he wasn't 100% sure he could make the basic shock with the requested amount of extra travel. That's the main reason we decided to go with the remote reservoir for my shock. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how much is the shock costing you in USD?
Ok. The remote adjuster that you have on yours (for compression) I haven't ordered as I can't justify the cost. I'm getting a 46mm bodied Moab Adventure shock with the damping adjustment as per their website (not the basic adventure non damping version). My understanding is that your shock had compression adjustment (high/low). Have I understood this incorrectly?

http://www.motocd.com/cd/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=59 (Cogent Dynamics Moab Shock)

tileman screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 04:46 PM