Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #106
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
Good to see your getting back into it mate. Bloody good job you never sold eh
yup, good luck on the condo by the way.........
Old 03-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #107
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
cheers
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #108
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

crackin it!!!!!

I am sick of all these cool builds going on and me not being able to be involved in the fun.........so........

Heres a rough idea for when I get home.

950se 30 safari tank, no idea if and how it will fit but still;
Rebuild the front end as I had or even put a single disc dr650 front end on as the inners on the bike may not be stuffed I can use the ones i have;
New subframe and covers now that I know more about moulding, the abs plastic was a good idea but a pain to complete;
I think the idea a CF tank is just to far beyond me for this project;
Lipo battery to save some weight;
New low mount front fender, a triumph bonneville is 19 inch so a aftermarket fender should fit?;

Well thats the start, if someone knows some sizes of 950se tanks (the inside dimensions) or even dl650 tanks that would be appreciated.

Also I once heard the comment "i donīt own one but that has never stopped me from having a opinion" so bring on ideas etc, its going to be a while before I get home so its this, gbay, etc and solidworks for me....
Old 04-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #109
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by tileman
I am sick of all these cool builds going on and me not being able to...
...see the last pictures.
SgtDuster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #110
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Good to see your still going to carry on with the old girl.

I like the idea of using the 950se tank I looked in to using one for my build but I realized that the tank is to long and would have over lapped the side panels under the seat.
But if your going to make your own sub frame and panels it wouldn't be a problem.

What are you actually doing over there, working or having a holiday?
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #111
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster
...see the last pictures.
which ones.........
Old 04-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #112
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe
What are you actually doing over there, working or having a holiday?
Fiance' is Argentinian. Got 10 months off work to deal with some immigration requirements. What a great time to spend riding round this area.....then I crashed the bike

So livin through you guys for now........

The problem I see with changing the tank is finding one that fits other than the original as the frame is quite different from drīs ktmīs etc. Theres nothing really wrong with it I just wanted something different. The other thought is to get a 640 adv front fairing (german ebay or maybe even lukas???) and make a mould of it that wraps around differently and meets up with the stock tank in a kinda similar way that Ron Seida did on his. I thought it looked great and I donīt figure that the mods would be to hard. I have had heaps of time to look thru moulding stuff while here so maybe.

The front end I donīt really know, depends on the condition of the front dr inners I got from you (i think). If there stuffed then I could look for another set and since i have a set of dr lowers already maybe a custom axle and make a dr dual disc front end?? I dont know if a single disc front end will pull the bike up aswell as it does now with gear 2 up??

The rear is already modded so with a better job on the rear fenders (moulding) i think i can get a result that I am happier with.

Well all the above is the plan, otherwise return it to stock and build a salt lake racer for the DLRA speedweek....

tileman screwed with this post 04-28-2010 at 02:35 PM
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #113
blauth
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Here is a V-Strom with wire wheel conversion that I did about a year ago. Unfortunately, I had to sell it before the project was finished for cash flow reasons.

I used a BMW GS1200 front wheel and discs and a honda transalp back wheel. Both worked out ok. What was really cool is the forks were extended by 100mm and the back raised by 65mm to give extra ground clearance. Didn't really affect handling. I was quite happy with the result but sad that I couldn't finish the project.

blauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #114
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauth
I used a BMW GS1200 front wheel and discs and a honda transalp back wheel. Both worked out ok. What was really cool is the forks were extended by 100mm and the back raised by 65mm to give extra ground clearance. Didn't really affect handling. I was quite happy with the result but sad that I couldn't finish the project.
How did you extend the front by 100mm. Did you do the same thing that was done by another member on this site with DR650 front forks? With the rear did you use shorter dogbones/different rear shock and was the rear wheel 18inch or 17?

Looks great by the way , to bad you had to sell it......... Is the buyer on this site?
Old 05-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #115
fatalerror
skrik vir niks

Oddometer: 856
we need more technical info please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauth
Here is a V-Strom with wire wheel conversion that I did about a year ago. Unfortunately, I had to sell it before the project was finished for cash flow reasons.

fatalerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #116
brianjonesphoto
Single Track Noob

Oddometer: 1,551
Please technical info.

What did it take to get the GS wheel on there? Do the rotors line up correctly? Did you hook up the speedo drive?

www.PhotoSupportNW.com

brianjonesphoto screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 09:28 AM
brianjonesphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #117
fatalerror
skrik vir niks

Specifically:What model Transalp? What was needed to make it fit on the wee?
What was needed to make the GS1200 wheel fit?

also: are those stock Wee forks, and if so, where did the 100mm extension come from??

What is done to the front fender/mount?

Thanks!
Ray

fatalerror screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 03:36 PM
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM   #118
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjonesphoto
What did it take to get the GS wheel on there? Do the rotors line up correctly? Did you hook up the speedo drive?
Ok. I did not use GS wheels but I spoke to someone in OZ who was going to try it. The disc to disc width is the same as the DL I am pretty sure. The disc diameter overall is 5mm different so there is I think no need to change the caliper mounting points. The speedo drive may the only problem but if there is no obvious solution you could do something similar to what I did with mine and manufacture something from delron to drive the existing DL drive. By the looks of the photos it uses a different speedo and the drive is on the opposite side to standard which is a smarter way than what I did, although when I finished the project and went for start up the fault codes that I got helped me fix the problem. If you use a non standard speedo I donīt know how this facility would work??????

Had I known the gs front wheel fitted I would have used it for the tubeless setup, its just I had access to triumph parts so used a 955 front. The rear transalp wheel weīll have to wait for a reply as I have no idea of dimensions as it looks standard. I got a excel wheel laced to a DR 650 hub with the same dimensions as the standard wheel.

If you plan to use a GS front heres some suggestions;

- Remove the DL wheel
- Remove the discs
- From the speedo drive side, measure the distance the disc face on the hub to the bearing surface in the hub. This will give you the different spacing.
- measure the same on the other side.
- then do the same with the GS wheel
- this will give you the total distance between outside bearing faces in the wheel, and the distance from hub faces (where the disc bolts) to the outside face of the bearing in the hub.
- then make spacers to fill the difference in spacing and the wheel should then bolt back on.

I donīt know if the bearings are the same on the gs as the dl so you may need to change them or build captive spacers like I did (search through the thread from the start). If someone would like some more info send me a PM as I will endeavor to draw some diagrams to explain more.

Bottom line is, if your going to use a aftermarket speedo the front is easy, if you want to use a standard one its a bit harder but doable.

tileman screwed with this post 05-10-2010 at 10:52 AM
tileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:21 AM   #119
fatalerror
skrik vir niks

I want to do this with a DL1000 and that does not the speedo off the wheel.
Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 AM   #120
tileman OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalerror
I want to do this with a DL1000 and that does not the speedo off the wheel.
Should be "relatively" easy then. Did my description make sense somewhat? Though I donīt know if the dimensions of the thou v the wee are different or the same.