User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM   #1
PHXAdventure OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Tubeless 990 Adventure

Is there a good kit to convert KTM 990 spoked wheels to tubeless, If so will the Heidi K60s work well?
Shawn aka PHXAdventure
PHXAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM   #2
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 100
I followed this guy's instructions and it's worked out well. I don't know about the Hedis though.

http://cyb.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/K...less/i-BjwM3St
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM   #3
Tobes2102
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
I have Heidi's on my 900 adventure (tubeless). They do well. I have a Conti on the front, also tubeless.
Tobes2102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:01 PM   #4
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,160
Funny you should ask. I'm doing mine as we speak.

This is my second set of wheels I sealed. The first set I used the exact method in the link. Worked well but I learned that prep is everything.
This time around I'm using Loctite Superglue Gel in place of the Seal-All on the advice of a well known wheel builder and sealer. Much faster - Seal-All takes forever to set up. The final coat is still Household Goop.

For the record, both of these wheels had what I believe to be an Outex kit in them (bought the bike used) and both leaked. I'm re-using it as a mega rim band.

I rode the bike yesterday and without the heavy duty front tube in there (2 lbs), the bike is transformed. It handles better, turns better...does everything better. I also pulled one rotor and caliper a week ago (6 lbs), and as you can imagine, it's like a whole new bike now. I can even ride sand!!

Chuckracer screwed with this post Yesterday at 12:27 PM
Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #5
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,587
I have seen several methods/materials posted for doing this. Most of them looked like they would work well.

However, on the advice of another inmate who had success with a simpler, cheaper method, I just went to Home Depot, and bought a good quality silicone sealant. After thoroughly cleaning the rim, I glopped some on each nipple, let it set overnight, then mounted the tire.

I have worn out three tires now, and have experienced no leaks. Each time I take off a tire I manage to damage the seal on at least one nipple. I just apply some more sealant to the spot- still no leak.

At first I tried duct tape over the sealant for protection, but it just came off and balled up. Now, I use only sealant.

BTW, I did only the rear, because I had heard that the stock front is not suitable for running tubeless.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #6
Central Cali Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Wow sometimes simpler is well simpler. The front is no biggie to replace a tube in the field for a flat. The rear I rather get a root canal then to try and replace a tube on the rear on the side of a trail. A plug would be so cool. I will have to try that method next set of tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
I have seen several methods/materials posted for doing this. Most of them looked like they would work well.

However, on the advice of another inmate who had success with a simpler, cheaper method, I just went to Home Depot, and bought a good quality silicone sealant. After thoroughly cleaning the rim, I glopped some on each nipple, let it set overnight, then mounted the tire.

I have worn out three tires now, and have experienced no leaks. Each time I take off a tire I manage to damage the seal on at least one nipple. I just apply some more sealant to the spot- still no leak.

At first I tried duct tape over the sealant for protection, but it just came off and balled up. Now, I use only sealant.

BTW, I did only the rear, because I had heard that the stock front is not suitable for running tubeless.
2006 Suzuki SV1000S for wifey Sold !
1997 KLR650 For sale SOLD !!
Central Cali Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM   #7
elron
Still Standing

Oddometer: 245
Question spoke adjustmets

Assume, any/everytime (though likely infrequently) that you need to adjust any spokes that nipple needs to be re-sealed?? Do you need to break/dissolve the seal first or will it give when adjusting spoke tension?
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
elron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #8
Chuckracer
Jerkus Maximus

Oddometer: 7,160
Yeah, that's the downside. This probably wouldn't be wise with brand new wheels. Some folks put little paper dots over the spoke nipple and under the sealant. That scares me a little. I don't really enjoy doing this and like the "overkill" method. I only want to do it once.

Chuckracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM   #9
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elron View Post
Assume, any/everytime (though likely infrequently) that you need to adjust any spokes that nipple needs to be re-sealed?? Do you need to break/dissolve the seal first or will it give when adjusting spoke tension?
If using silicone sealant, probably no problem. It is pretty soft stuff, and should offer no resistance. Clean out the old sealant, and reapply.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old Today, 01:43 PM   #10
Skizzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I'm riding on a tubeless modified wheels from more than 50.000km.
No problems, no pressure loss, and the Heidy works flawlessly ;)
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #11
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizzo View Post
...no pressure loss...
I find it kind of weird that my rear tire, with the tubeless conversion, holds pressure longer than does my front, which still has a tube- a new tube at that.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962