ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #301
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Everything looks fantastic! I'm so glad you're getting this experience with all the cutting, fitting and welding. It's going to come in handy when I need help building a ti exhaust next year ;)
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #302
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,430
Yeah, absolutely. Of course at some point we're going to have to build a titanium bicycle together so I can continue my learning curve.

Anything I can do to help with the moto just let me know. We'll have to do some rides now that he weather is nice, pedal first and 990 later when I finish and finally have her in Portland.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #303
gs-ell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84

blooming good work mate, your welding is fantastic!

Elliott
gs-ell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #304
mike.l
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Man your bike's looking well cool. I've been following your progress with a great deal of interest. I recently purchased a 950 and love it to bits( well hopefully not that much. I can see the work you're doing is a labour of love. I've had bikes for years and have done the basics though fairly useless at anything more. Your work is inspiring, as are many of the orange crushers. As a result I shall attempt to do all the work on mine.
Good luck and all the best.
mike.l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15 PM   #305
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.l View Post
Man your bike's looking well cool. I've been following your progress with a great deal of interest. I recently purchased a 950 and love it to bits( well hopefully not that much. I can see the work you're doing is a labour of love. I've had bikes for years and have done the basics though fairly useless at anything more. Your work is inspiring, as are many of the orange crushers. As a result I shall attempt to do all the work on mine.
Good luck and all the best.
Mike, I gotta say, it all comes in time. My first (real) bike was my BMW R90S and I remember being so nervous just to change the oil that I asked a friend to come over and help. Eventually I got more comfortable and kept taking on more maintenance until I could do all of it. Then I wanted to modify it and with friends help I did and it became a very cool and special bike but when we started the only tool they trusted me with was the grinder - and even then I was supervised. That was almost 15 years ago and only the last 4-5 years have I gotten as ambitious as I am.

Take your time, read the manuals, start small and get a friend to help. There's almost nothing better than working on a bike with a friend, drinking a beer (maybe after most of the work is done) and learning how it all works. Many of my friendships have started that way and our shop is simply an outgrowth of that philosophy - friends working on bikes together.

Gregor

PS here's some links on our shop "Spannerland": http://www.smokeandthrottle.com/2012...yc-norton.html

Motorcycle Dream Garages

http://greasermike.blogspot.com/2010...ed-ground.html

sakurama screwed with this post 06-05-2012 at 12:24 PM
Old 06-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #306
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
... took many years to acquire and many more to learn to use them and I'm still learning... This whole process ... is a learning experience but it's fun to learn - I never get tired of learning.
A couple edits and those words apply to the practice of motorcycling, and of life!

Bitchin' cool bike, Gregor.

I'm curious how it goes on the dyno, when I was dynoing 2-1s we found that smaller was counterintuitively better- where a broader range of smooth torque is the goal, anyway.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #307
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I'm curious how it goes on the dyno, when I was dynoing 2-1s we found that smaller was counterintuitively better- where a broader range of smooth torque is the goal, anyway.
Hey Ned! Yeah, for torque smaller is better and for hp bigger is better. Generally. Part of this build is the recognition of how I use the bike which is 70-80% road and on my 17/19 wheelset. My thought then is to push the bike's powerband a little to the top at a (hopefully) small sacrifice to the bottom.

If you look at Ducati's or say the RC8 you see really large diameter tubing - up to 2 plus inches so I split the difference at 1.75". It's also why I went with the 39 FCR's to keep the torque but I might chuck them up and bore them to 40mm to see what happens.

In the end, even the RC8 has plenty of torque but it biases to the top so I'm hoping I find a compromise that pushes it just a bit to the top and still has torque but I don't want a tractor. I want something different. We'll see right?

Gregor
Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 AM   #308
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,811
My RC8 was dyno tuned with TuneECU and pulls like a pissed off tractor. At 7000 it falls on its face. If you can split the difference and get a bit more top without sacrificing the torque with your street wheels you'll have a fire breathing motard.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #309
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,971
Hi gregor, wasn't sure to post this but this thread seems appropriate...unles you mind? Its a new online web show I am starting called AntiFlannyTV

Episode One - Fancy Carbs

Special guest Ned Seusse joined us for episode one

Episode One - part one

Episode One - part two

Hi Flanny

Stay tuned for Episode Two - The Reliable Engine Leak

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel

Deadly99 screwed with this post 06-11-2012 at 12:49 PM
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 PM   #310
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,241
Love the reving SE in the back ground.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #311
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Hi gregor, wasn't sure to post this but this thread seems appropriate...unles you mind? Its a new online web show I am starting called AntiFlannyTV

Episode One - Fancy Carbs

Special guest Ned Seusse joined us for episode one

Episode One - part one

Episode One - part two

Hi Flanny

Stay tuned for Episode Two - The Reliable Engine Leak
Hi Ted !

Sorry..I would have replied sooner, but I was busy making a long list of shit that fell off your bike this weekend....
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:17 PM   #312
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Well, I'm glad the bar has been set pretty low. It appears if I can get my bike to run for more than 30 seconds I'll win!

I have heard from a lot of people that the FCR's are a real pain in the colder weather since they lack a choke or enricher circuit. I suppose I'll find out but my boxer also has that same characteristic of needing to twist the grip more than a few times to let the pumps prime the engine but once running is usually fine.

Gregor
Old 06-12-2012, 06:01 AM   #313
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Not like this wasn't expected, Post #284

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:40 AM   #314
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktm950se View Post
Not like this wasn't expected, Post #284

ktm950se
You want a piece of me?
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #315
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
What I'd like is for you to figure out how to get these carbs to function so start-ups in cold weather are no longer an issue.
I'm certain, having followed your builds over the last several years, if anyone can figure this out, its you.

And please do so quickly, as I want to add a set of FCRs to my SE before the cold weather sets in this Fall.

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote