mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:56 AM   #1203
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
cough cough....

I've tried many times to get Chris to do some updates. I know his mom was in the hospital but I'm as in the dark as you. I'm back the second week of May and the bike will be leaving one way or another. Dates aren't set but Tommy, Gino, Clipper and maybe my friend Ben from PDX will all be meeting in Denver where we'll be shipping our dirt wheels to Woody and then riding all dirt to Portland.

This bike is coming out of the shop and hitting the dirt this summer if it's the last thing I do. I'll work on the chokes myself this fall.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:33 AM   #1204
cdndog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Does that mean your shop will be finished? I haven't been over at GG for a while.
cdndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:44 AM   #1205
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdndog View Post
Does that mean your shop will be finished? I haven't been over at GG for a while.
It's getting pretty close. Finished is not really a word I use on any of my projects (obviously) but I spent the last week running air, cleaning and trying to put things away. I need to get the machines leveled but, yeah, it's getting close. Now I just need a bike to put in it.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #1206
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
Get in line MM.

Having read another thread that spoke of fcrs and rottweiler filtration in the same paragraph....
Hey Pete,
point me at this please?

This winter has seen the partial completion of just that on my bike: FCR 39s, a proper throttle linkage, a single set of push-pull throttle cables on the front carb with the mounting re-angled, all to allow a single CPR sausage-filter on its flat base (the "dome" type filter being necessary because I've the 950SM with less space under the tank than an ADV). No pictures yet as it's not finished...

Interestingly, whilst fiddling with my chokes at the beginning of the winter (I made an external plumber's nightmare, if you remember) I discovered they weren't really necessary once I'd perfected my idle mixture! Their only real use was a fast idle facility! It hasn't been particularly cold this year mind, and the winter's well finished now, but after that discovery I never failed to start without the choke each and every time. Maybe next year I'll make some more progress???

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #1207
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,527
It was on another forum. CPR to supply the filters and Chris was to design/manufacture a baseplate to suit the velocity stacks/intakes

I was in holidays when I read it but for the life of me can't find it now. Trust me. It's true!!! And did I read about a hybrid elec 2WD ADV bike that has real time AWD, unobtanium suspension and 200 kw at the treads from 0 rpm. Oh and it gets 1.9 lt/100 km. coming to a dealer near you the 2nd half of the year
Old 04-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #1208
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Can someone explain "Mission Creep" to me?
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 AM   #1209
guysalami
<put custom title here>

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVill View Post
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=mission+creep
Old 04-08-2014, 07:57 AM   #1210
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVill View Post
Mission creep =

Popping into the local for a beer on a Tuesday because rush hour traffic is hectic and then leaving at 4am, trashed with a new girlfriend, tattoo, a puppy (the barman was selling) and a no more credit on your card.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #1211
Roadracer_Al
louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer: 1,406
Mission Creep = "Hey, while I'm in here, I ought to fix...."
New Rider Training in the San Francisco Bay Area at Motorcycle University". Learn to Ride...Better!
Roadracer_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #1212
Slider_Over
Hooligan

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete640 View Post
It was on another forum. CPR to supply the filters and Chris was to design/manufacture a baseplate to suit the velocity stacks/intakes

I was in holidays when I read it but for the life of me can't find it now. Trust me. It's true!!! And did I read about a hybrid elec 2WD ADV bike that has real time AWD, unobtanium suspension and 200 kw at the treads from 0 rpm. Oh and it gets 1.9 lt/100 km. coming to a dealer near you the 2nd half of the year

Yes, still waiting as patient as I can for any info on the choke solution for the FCR kit with the CPR filter Chris was working on. I know the chokes got put on hold for a bit and then there was news of the CPR filter with the velocity stacks for the 950SM....

From reading some, maybe the chokes are not really needed or could be sorted out later. The filter/velocity stack solution is what I really would like since the K&N's will not fit on the SM....darn.

I would really love to know if there has been any progress on this front...
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #1213
Slider_Over
Hooligan

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinwelp View Post
Hey Pete,
point me at this please?

This winter has seen the partial completion of just that on my bike: FCR 39s, a proper throttle linkage, a single set of push-pull throttle cables on the front carb with the mounting re-angled, all to allow a single CPR sausage-filter on its flat base (the "dome" type filter being necessary because I've the 950SM with less space under the tank than an ADV). No pictures yet as it's not finished...

Interestingly, whilst fiddling with my chokes at the beginning of the winter (I made an external plumber's nightmare, if you remember) I discovered they weren't really necessary once I'd perfected my idle mixture! Their only real use was a fast idle facility! It hasn't been particularly cold this year mind, and the winter's well finished now, but after that discovery I never failed to start without the choke each and every time. Maybe next year I'll make some more progress???

Cheers... Paul
Interesting to hear about the chokes...maybe they are not needed as you say. I assume that would apply to the 41's as well? I keep flip flopping between the 39's and 41's....depends on who you talk to.

I always like to hear real world experiences, not just dyno numbers. Any comparisons anyone has would be great to know.
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 AM   #1214
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 74
Slider,
the K&Ns without Chris' velocity stacks fit the SM without problems. The larger filters needed for the velocity stacks can be made to fit the SM with a little 'reshaping' (the top of rear filter needs squishing down a bit). Far from a good solution though, hence my drive towards the CPR.

39 vs. 41? I thought buried in this thread somewhere was exactly that. Maybe I'm wrong. If I were to do this again I'd probably go for the 41s. Jetted well, I'm getting very good fuel economy on the 39s (at least 20% better than the OE carbs, and they were well set up too), and you could ALWAYS do with a little more power, don't you think? Not that the 39s aren't HUGE fun... just the 41s could be better still.

As for the chokes, there are so many environmental and subjective factors contributing to good starting, who knows if the 41s will respond the same with spot-on pilot jetting. In principal, yes. However, I'll still be striving to get my chokes working well eventually as a back-up is a very good thing to have if you suddenly find yourself camping in the mountains and wake up to snow! They just slipped down the list of importance for the moment. The sun is shining and the temperatures are conducive to riding not tinkering, so it's time to get the filters sorted out, then go out to play. Chokes will be back on the to-do list at the end of the year.

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 10:28 AM   #1215
ADVill
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
Thanks for the mission creep definitions. I'm around a LOT of hobbies that could entail that and yet have never heard that terminology.
ADVill is offline   Reply With Quote