User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2014, 01:50 PM   #1216
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,498
Or it could be

Mission:Creep. That's where you go out and intentional try to make young women feel uncomfortable and scared by your presence, usually while staring blankly at their boobs and drooling.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #1217
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,392
Hey, how did I not get pinged about those last responses? Man, I got unsubscribed from my own thread? I know I lost control over it about a year ago but I was at least hoping I could still keep up with it. No respect...

Yeah, Mission Creep is something my shopmates and I were famous for when working on bikes. My boxer was mission creep as we really only wanted to put in some side braces on the frame. Of course once the frame was stripped the braces needed to be bent to clear the carbs, if you bent the braces then you need to reinforce them. If you reinforce them you could brace the whole thing and if you do that you've exposed weakness' in the head stock and swingarm pivot so they should braced. If they're braced the lower frame rails are really pointless...

You see how it works? In this thread I decided to powdercoat my swingarm black and now, three years later, I have a 990 SMR with AWD. The sad part is that I really enjoy it. It's like going for an afternoon ride and coming back two weeks and 4000 miles later with this amazing trip under your belt.

As for the carbs. I don't know what to tell you. Supposedly my bike is finished and Chris has mentioned he's moving onto other projects but I know as much as you. I'm headed back to NYC for work and meetings in the next few weeks so I am taking an extra day or two to check out the progress and hopefully get the bike done.

My suspicion on the chokes is that it's related to float level and that it will take some tedious fettling with levels and jets to get it working but that the engineering is sound. I won't have time to test that and I don't know if Chris will either.

I do know that I'm planning to ride the bike out to Denver this May/June and that Woody's will be lacing me up a new AWD 21" hub and holding those wheels for me. Tommy, Gino and I will ride out together and pick up our wheels at Woody's (Thanks Zach!) and switch to dirt hoops and knobs. There we'll meet up with Clipper, Zach on Woody's 1200GS with 21 front hoop and Neduro on whatever bike he feels is appropriate to slum with us on. From there we'll all set off to do a few mountain passes, dirt roads and whatever. We'll drink lots of beer at night and laugh at Gino because, well, if you've met you know.

From there whomever wants to join me can ride to Portland via dirt roads. It's a trip I've been dreaming of for a long time and I'm very excited.

Gregor

PS - Ned, sorry about the late email - my gmail is acting up and never sent my response until today. Look forward to riding with you again!
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:07 AM   #1218
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
I do know that I'm planning to ride the bike out to Denver this May/June.
From there whomever wants to join me can ride to Portland via dirt roads.
Will you be bringing your masterpiece to the Hells Canyon gig? (June 19-22)

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:49 AM   #1219
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Holy cow! How can I live in paradise and not have ridden in it yet? Oh, right, no running motorcycle.

Now that I know about it I can try to make that a goal but it might be tight. I guess it depends.

G
Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #1220
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Cool.

Another teaser.

And, a little info. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=938131

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
Old 04-27-2014, 12:21 AM   #1221
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,870
Hey Gregor can you give chris a boot up the arse when you see him please.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:38 AM   #1222
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Hey Gregor can you give chris a boot up the arse when you see him please.
My pleasure!

I was told to expect something tonight on here...

Oh, Chris...

Gregor
Old 04-28-2014, 03:35 AM   #1223
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,590

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:08 PM   #1224
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
back from my alien abduction

Seems like it has been a while between updates! Sorry about that but its been busy here and tough juggling all the balls I have in the air. At least i'm not as bad as my buddy Scott: http://kolblsr.blogspot.com/2013/12/1634-days.html!

Anyway, I've been busy here on lots of stuff, 2WD included. Some of the other stuff is boring but pays the bills (light brackets for a train station, etc) and some is secret (super important consumer gizmos) But it all has to eventually get done.

Soooooooo, it has been a while but i have not been idle on this project. I've made lots of chips, for chain housings...

and

and

And housing covers.....

and custom gaskets

and ignition switch mounts.....

and

and steering stops.....

Oops, no pictures of machining that but they look nice finished!

And after a few of the debacles on some of the aluminum parts had a nice adventure finding a new anodizer. I'm glad to have found them as they are in NJ and did a great job.

The frame also came out nicely in a metallic orange. The metallic is hard to see indoors but really jumps out in sunlight.

At last now I have everything in house in final configurations for a test assembly then pack up and ship out. I'm sure Joe and Tony are reading this in disbelief that they will finally be able to get the bike together! I can only say that poor time planning for these R&D type projects is my big weakness. But it does get done nicely in the end!

The steering stop and ingition switch mount bracket look tidy and retain the steering lock too! Keep all those jealous 1WD owners off!

I think for orange frames you get black housing and for black frames an orange housing. Thoughts?

or

Will put up another post in a couple of days (no, really, I mean it!) with the full assembly before packing and shipping.

Sorry again for the gaps in coverage but life sometimes gets in the way of life!

Chris

CosentinoEngineering screwed with this post 04-28-2014 at 08:13 PM
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #1225
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,165
holy...
Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 PM   #1226
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Dammmmmnnn. That looks nice and that frame is so fucking pretty. Holy shit is right.

Wow.

Tony, Joe, I can't wait to hear your impressions.

Gregor
Old 04-29-2014, 12:54 AM   #1227
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Sacred faeces by all means
Old 04-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #1228
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post

Tony, Joe, I can't wait to hear your impressions.

Gregor
Well it looks as flash as a rat with a gold tooth but until its in my workshop and I can see it in person I won't let myself get to excited.

And black cover with orange frame looks good chris.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #1229
sakurama OP
on an endless build

This past year has been really busy with trying to balance work with the work on the house and then family as well. If that wasn't enough I picked up an old Guzzi last year and finally rolled it into the garage to get it roadworthy enough to use it for the summer. And of course there's a build thread on that too.

Suffice it to say I haven't had the time during my short visits east to get all the way out to NJ to bust Chris' ass and try to get the bike finished. This last trip I made a special effort to get two days where I could get to the shop. When I spoke to Chris he said, "It's all done - it just needs to be put back together. Two three hours at most." You can see that Chris possess the same out of touch sense of optimism with bike projects as I do with house remodels.

Not in touch with reality.

So armed with my buddy Tommy I went out on Friday to put some time in. Tommy, look serious here!

Chris has indeed finished most of the machining and fabrication. He's made a very nice ignition mount for the triple clamp...

...and he's made up his own longer tubes for the drive shafts where they meet the triple clamps.

When I was there last Chris had notched a frame tube and asked me to make the cap for it. He never got around to welding it and so I tackled it tacking it in and starting the stitches.

After a while I ran out of skill for the crazy out of position welding that was needed for the underside of the tube. I claim that it was partly due to Chris' turn of the century welding helmet and non-pulsing welder but Chris proved it was simply lack of talent.

He welded it upside-down, laying on his back on a chair with his foot on the pedal. Yeah, I still have a long way to go.

In the end we made progress but there was a lot of test fitting, assembling, disassembling and reassembling which is to be expected but also takes time.

Also, since my bike was the test mule a lot of my parts needed to be adjusted or modified whereas the parts for Tony's bike were the final revision. Seeing Tony's frame and the parts makes me realize how nice his bike is going to be. All the parts and all the welds are perfect. My bike, and I cringe at the thought of it, really needs to be taken down to the frame and then repowdercoated and given a brand new wiring harness. It's showing it's age and the harness is starting to crack and fail from all the rerouting. I may just leave it for another year as the thought of taking the bike apart again is so repulsive that I can't stomach it.

The added complexity of the AWD is pretty apparent when you are putting together the triple clamps and drive shafts.

The chain run parts are very nice. There's a real level of sophistication to Chris' parts, a fantastic attention to detail.

I am still aiming at riding the bike out to Portland in the next month or so. I need to finalize a date but I have a few possible jobs that may happen that would take precedence. Motorcycle shoots always take precedence. Chris swears he's going to get the bike wrapped up in the next week or two. I will be sending my dirt wheels off to Woody this week as well as getting a second Christini front hub to lace up so that is happening at the same time.

My fingers are crossed that this comes together and I ride it west in June.

Gregor
Old 05-25-2014, 03:49 PM   #1230
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

I feel more incompetent every time I look at this thread.

I miss round headlights.

G.H.W.S. 1878-1962