Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #241
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Thank you for the reminder. SEM Hot Rod Black ordered. Done.

Deadly, I can't paint a KTM red. Just like I couldn't paint a Ducati orange. Just certain things you can't do. Goes against nature. Paint should be here by Thursday giving me one evening to finish it. Better get that prep done by tomorrow...

G
I hear ya but sometimes going against the norm is a good thing (or a really bad mistake, lol)

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #242
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
nice work Gregor!
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #243
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,395
So I've been working on paint. Tonight I shot not a single photo as my evening started late and went later. The primer I sprayed hardened well but took a fair bit of sanding to get it ready for it's second coat. The next coat I probably reduced too much but it went fine. Another wet sand tomorrow and, provided my paint comes in, I should shoot color tomorrow.

While I've decided on a semi matte black that was about it. One reason is that I've never regretted ever owning anything in black. Maybe it's my New York background, after all my first girlfriend here in NYC taught me, "When in doubt, wear black." But still I've been casting about for more direction when it hit me, my favorite childhood race car, the John Player Special F1 car:

So then I hit photoshop between shots today:

I pulled my tired 17/19" wheel set and removed the tires and packed the rims to be sent off to Woody to dismantle them, Powdercoat the rims orange and rebuild them. That should take two weeks which is about my next trip back.

Sudco called to say that there was nothing wrong with the carbs. It took almost a month to get around to that but they should be back in a week or so. I can't really believe it but I'm hopeful and I have no idea what could be the reason. I ordered a set of Distanzias for the new rims. It seems that in a couple weeks all that will be left is the welding of the pipe. I'm looking forward to that now that I'm comfortable with it.

So that's all for now.

G
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:29 AM   #244
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Oddometer: 1,733
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........ ......................

While I like the look of the black, and the matte black...... Lot me give you something to ponder

It would look very much like a stock ish 06 950! Note my stock ish 950 below with the silver parts blacked out.

I think for all that work you need something that shows....well....that you did all that work!

A matte charcoal grey with black swing arm and your orange wheels would look stellar using your same plan above for graphics. Sill a dark, classic color, but very unique

Just a thought!

06 KTM 950 Adventure(The Fainting Goat)
FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
FOR SALE 2 KLR650s http://coffeemotorcycleswine.blogspot.com/
Xtremjeepn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #245
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

I know I have a picture somewhere of the outside of this car. It was matte charcoal.

But the orange and grey interior gives some hint. ( this was at SEMA so a bit blingy )

FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
Old 05-10-2012, 12:36 PM   #246
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Yes, it will look a little like the older black ones - maybe the best looking of the bunch - but not exactly. Of the colors I liked KTM has done them all: white, matte gray, matte orange, gloss orange...

In the end I'm not going for bling but more of a subtle look. I toyed with painting it crazy bass boat metal flake orange but I think I'd get tired of that. I never get tired of black. In the end it will be the striping that sets it apart. I just need to find a good striper. I don't plan on doing the KTM like the stock bikes - I want the striper to do an interpretation of that.

G
Old 05-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #247
Xtremjeepn
Motorhead!

Wicked

FOR SALE 02 F650GS DAKAR
Old 05-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #248
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,775
Camo. Just saying.

Plus you can get them dipped and never have to paint them. I forget what it's called, but they put your stuff in this bucket of water/solvent/tequila then pull off a sheet of the color/camo to be transferred and lay it on the solvent. The solvent dissolves the backing, leaving just the color floating on top, pull the tanks out slowly and it adheres to every available surface. Friend of mine had his ZX-10 bodywork done. I think it's mainly for stuff like hunting bows and things like that.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #249
Deadly99
Fast and Far

Oddometer: 8,608
Gonna look sweet, looking for an opinion from the peanut gallery? The ktm and adventure are in almost the exact locations as the stock bikes....nice and subtle maybe with no lettering just some funky pin stripping....

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out

TCAT (Trans Canada Adventure Trail)

Gravel Travel Canada - Canada's Source for Overland Travel
Deadly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:20 PM   #250
slackmeyer
Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer: 2,958
I like it, but I think the gothic lettering is wrong for the bike, it's too stylized, not subtle at all.

Nice job so far,

zak

ktm
old bmw
others
slackmeyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 AM   #251
rattis
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Very nice

for a KTM I've read though your thread in one go, very impressed both by you skill and your enthusiasm.
Get a real motorbike though
Old 05-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #252
VertigoCycles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Yes, it will look a little like the older black ones - maybe the best looking of the bunch - but not exactly. Of the colors I liked KTM has done them all: white, matte gray, matte orange, gloss orange...

In the end I'm not going for bling but more of a subtle look. I toyed with painting it crazy bass boat metal flake orange but I think I'd get tired of that. I never get tired of black. In the end it will be the striping that sets it apart. I just need to find a good striper. I don't plan on doing the KTM like the stock bikes - I want the striper to do an interpretation of that.

G
If you're on this coast when it comes time for striping, I can get you the contact of a very good striper. He does all the pedal bikes for some buddy's of mine who build Vendetta. Really amazing work. I think his name is Jim Carmickle.
VertigoCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #253
sakurama OP
on an endless build

So I actually painted the parts Thursday night but like the rest of the week it was a long night. I finished shooting around 9pm, rode my bicycle to the shop (about an hour) and then painted until 1-2am and rode back. It's only 5-6 miles one way but since you are forced to take a Path train you have to add that wait which, after midnight, can be over an hour so I was getting back to the studio around 3am and then getting up at 6-7am to do my retouching. It was a long week.

What that means is that I painted the bodywork and I have no idea how it turned out. The paint sprayed out pretty wet and didn't flash off for over an hour so by the time I cleaned the guns I just left. It's a 16 hour dry time so I'm as curious as anyone if it turned out. We'll see when I get back I guess. Since it's flat there's no buffing out drips or mistakes of which there were a few.

Sean, yes, I think I will get it striped out in Oregon. Unless I found a really good person back east. I had a guy who was great but he moved. I want the striping to be unique so it doesn't look like a stock bike so I'll be thinking of how to do that.

Now I'm going to get my last bit of practice tig welding out here (and hopefully some tips from Sean at his shop party) and then my next trip out I'm going to try to bring it all together. It's been too long without this bike.

G

sakurama screwed with this post 05-22-2012 at 11:26 PM
Old 05-16-2012, 06:14 AM   #254
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Just hours after I was telling a friend how happy I was to have at least two bikes that were in great shape and perfectly running (my Husaberg and my MV) my MV's rear hub blows up on me. Sort of ironic but mostly lucky since the day before I was hurtling around PIR at speeds over 155. Had that hub decided to let go then I don't think I'd be writing this.

But I digress.

Peter, my shop mate and painting guru shot some photos of the panels I never got to see and was nice enough to send them off to me. While I see mostly mistakes I can live with it and overall I think the color will be pretty cool looking.

So now I have the bike painted. My carbs arrived back from Sudco where they claimed that there was nothing wrong with them so we'll see how that goes. I suspect that the magical cleaning powers of UPS transport somehow fixed them. Woody has my 17/19 wheels and should have them done in a week so things are coming together.

Ironically the MV's hub let go just 1/2 mile from home on the return trip to pick up practice tubing from Columbia River Mandrel Bends which I'd visited in hopes that I could get to see some of the machinery that actually makes the bends. No luck there but it was a great day for a ride anyway and now I have a little practice tubing for my last push to finish the exhaust.

Now I just need another job back east to get some shop time.

Gregor
Old 05-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #255
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Just hours after I was telling a friend how happy I was to have at least two bikes that were in great shape and perfectly running (my Husaberg and my MV) my MV's rear hub blows up on me. Sort of ironic but mostly lucky since the day before I was hurtling around PIR at speeds over 155. Had that hub decided to let go then I don't think I'd be writing this.
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Glad your alright though. Bike is going to look great!

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote