Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #46
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,394
So I checked my repair manual and it looks like that can be done without opening the cases but I'm curious - is it a problem? I've heard about the water pump, the fuel pump, the clutch pushrod, the clutch booster and the sidestand bracket and aside from the last I'm replacing all as preventative maintainence but this one I don't know about.

What's it all about? You're talking about #16 right?

sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:00 PM   #47
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
see Pyndon's issue here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1063

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 02:07 PM   #48
Dirt Vader

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
yes this what i was refering to.
FOR SALE
04 Tuono 07 TE510 tagged
Dirt Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #49
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Damn, another thing to check. At least checking is easy. I'll put it on my list...
Old 07-01-2009, 04:24 PM   #50
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,498
But the clutch stuff can be done through the smaller clutch cover. The shift pins need to be checked through the larger clutch side cover, yes?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:29 PM   #51
Dirt Vader

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347
But the clutch stuff can be done through the smaller clutch cover. The shift pins need to be checked through the larger clutch side cover, yes?
yes, need to remove the engine cover to inspect. to replace involves removing stuff.
FOR SALE
04 Tuono 07 TE510 tagged
Dirt Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 06:40 AM   #52
sakurama OP
on an endless build

So Thursday I bit the bullet and bought a Handy Lift - something I'd been wanting to do for about three years. It came up on ebay and my friend Shawn helped me bring it back from CT. That trip took all day so I was too whipped to work on the bike.

Friday the last of my parts rolled in:

At this point I had a hard time remembering what was what so I sorted them into groups and checked the fiche. And while it was too early for wheels I wanted to put the bike up on the new lift to do the rest of the installs so I just threw them on sans spacers or disks and jacked that bike sky high. It is sooo nice to be able to work on the bike sitting on a stool and not bent over. I wish I'd done this sooner.

I now bring the laptop to the shop all the time. Aside from playing internet radio (yeah KEXP Seattle!) I use it to research ADV Rider for more instructional and thorough explanations on things. Like the point above about the shift drum - mine is fine. Getting the clutch oil jet out was made easy by the suggestion Docking Pilot made to shoot compressed air across the opening. Man, that was so easy. Today will be the water pump (Pydon's thread for help there) and maybe the wheels in earnest.

Yesterday was organizing the mess and installing the newly powdercoated alternator cover and the new preventative Evoluzione Clutch Slave. Didn't bleed it but the little bleeder they send with it is cute and I'm curious to try it. I've got about 4 different bleeding devices and anymore I just do it manually. I think I'll paint that center screw to match but it's plastic so it couldn't be powdered. It's nice to see one side cover on at least.

Then there's this:

I was bored last week and decided to polish the brake lever. Honestly I don't know if I like it. I like bling as much as the next guy but this feels a bit to close to the chromed KLR's cruising my hood in Bed Stuy. I'll leave it for now and decide later if I bead blast it back to matt. Thoughts?

Anyway, I've got to get a lot done today as it's my last day as a bachelor as the GF comes back tomorrow and then we've got guests. End of next week should be the end of it.

sakurama screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 11:06 AM
Old 07-04-2009, 11:36 AM   #53
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Shiny or matt?

I've been watching your thread for a while, nice job.

I'm not a big fan of shiny stuff but I think the levers down there won't stand out much and will probably be easier to keep clean. The matt brake and clutch levers on my 950SM look tatty from the scuffs etc.
motomal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:05 AM   #54
sakurama OP
on an endless build

So the 4th was a lot of time at the shop but not too much forward progress. I moved to the right side of the bike and put the water pump together and got the inner clutch cover on.

My old clutch basket cover was a bit beat and the cracks and broken pieces negated bothering with powdercoating. Hmm, what other options are there? Something strong but it would be nice to find something a bit better looking. I don't like the garish orange covers - this is an engine not a popcorn machine...

Well Craig of CJ Designs from ADV has made this really stunning cover for the KTM's and since several of the guys in our shop do short run machining and prototyping I have a real appreciation for the work that goes into making parts like this. Even Chris, our notoriously snobbish and perfectionist engineer and master machinist was duly impressed with CJ's work, "Wow, really nice part..." He hardly ever says that.

After that I rebuilt the rear brake. Here's a little tip you may know but just in case. The copper crush washers on the banjo fittings and bleed valves can be reused if you anneal them. That involves heating them with a torch until they glow orange and then quenching them in some water. This restores their elasticity and thus their sealing ability.

Be careful if you use Mapp gas as it's much hotter than propane and can melt them pretty easily. That's what I did when I showed Shawn the technique. I keep them any time I take brakes apart so I always have some spares. Of course the bleed nipple on the rear caliper was seized and snapped off as I tried to open it - another few days waiting on a part...

After that I grabbed a Guinness out of the shop fridge and climbed out the window onto the 3rd floor roof deck to watch the fireworks over Manhattan. Nice view eh? This is where our BBQ will be this weekend if any one wants to come by and check out our shop. We have about 90 bikes between us so the place is a cross between club house, fabrication facility and museum.

Then I spent the next 4 hours cleaning, organizing and putting tools away. The mess was starting to get to me. Ironically (or pathetically depending on your view) I found lots of parts I thought I didn't have and lots of supplies I thought were missing. I should stay on top of this better but, again, this project was only supposed to last a week or so.

So here's where I'm at. It might not look different to you but you can't see all the things that are now neatly organized - which is exactly the point. I'm going to order some stainless tube for the exhaust since I'll have another week and we'll see if I make any progress on that.

sakurama screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 11:12 AM
Old 07-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #55
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Looking really, really good Gregor!

..But why, oh why did you have to go out and ger the black ano. clutch cover from CJ? Why? Now I won't be able to sleep at night knowing that you have one but I don't!

...Oh well, at least I don't have a chromy-looking rear brake lever...

Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #56
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny
...Oh well, at least I don't have a chromy-looking rear brake lever...
Oh, that hurts. I might just polish the shift lever to spite you now.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:50 AM   #57
HappyGoLucky
Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer: 4,310
Would love to come down to your shop this weekend Sakurama - what a treat. Unfortunately, thats not to be. The 690 I am riding at present, was the ride of the chap in front when you had your big off, and I'd love to hear the incident from your perspective.

Lovin' looking at your project, and the pictures that go with it - great thread
Old 07-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #58
rockchucker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Hope the lack of update means you got it all put together and are wearing out a tire!! Been lurking to see the finished hotness.
rockchucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #59
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Hope the lack of update means you got it all put together and are wearing out a tire!! Been lurking to see the finished hotness.
No, I did a few things but am waiting on parts. I left my camera at the shop so the little I did I haven't had the chance to update. Tomorrow will be a half day and then all day Friday should get me real close. A lot depends on UPS!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #60
sakurama OP
on an endless build

There is light at the end of the tunnel. Not from my wiring system yet but still...

Now I'm down to mostly odds and ends. A few years back I bought a second 320mm disk for my second set of wheels and my basement flooded and the disk was pretty rusted when I found it. We moved shops and it got buried and only recently did it surface again:

Bleak. Well it was never even mounted and looked ruined but I decided to give Naval Jelly a try as it's often surprising and what do you know it worked! In fact it looked better than the old one I've been using. Here you go - same disk:

So I've decided to run down to the BMW MOA rally in TN as a shakedown for the trip to Labrador so I put some sticky street tires on in case we head over to Deals Gap. Honestly I like the roads around Deals better but it's hard to not hit it when you're that close. The Conti Attacks are amazingly sticky and surprisingly long lasting. I've gotten over 4000 out of the last rear including a track day and 2500 of two up which, for such a track tire is pretty great.

Since I'd stripped the grips I needed some new ones so I thought I'd show you a trick I learned a while back for cutting the ends of the grips. First find a socket of the diameter of your bars:

I use the 16mm because what else can you do with a 16mm? Put it on an extension and slide it through the grip and hammer the socket through on a solid surface. If your queasy about abusing tools you could use an impact socket but I'm fine with this.

And there you go - a nice, neat and correctly sized hole:

While looking for some banjo fittings I saw that Chris had a spare radial Brembo master cylinder which I'd been thinking of matching up to the Motomaster caliper for a while. It's a 16x18 which is correct for a single caliper so I offered to buy it and see how it would work. Of course it's strictly a track part so there's no mirror mount or brake switch and it's smaller than stock so the brake line is too short and it needed a reservoir too so it was no easy swap.

For the brake line I had Speigler make me a custom 54" line with a 60 and a 10 offset and it fit perfect. Fred Renz of Yoyodyne got me the reservoir and the brake light switch is the extra one I bought for the rear brake - it's a combination banjo and pressure switch which plugged into the existing wires just fine. Feel from this lever is great so I'm curious what it will be like on the road. I've always felt the stock master was a bit wooden and I've run these masters on all my race bikes and loved them. Brembo does good stuff.

Then all this showed up:

I've been toying with the idea of rolling my own out of stainless and decided to order up the parts. I'm thinking of making it run in stock position for the headers but to drop the silencers below the rear side panels and make them steeper. The idea being that they would clear a lot of space to make side tanks in place of the rear panels but I haven't worked that out yet. For now I may start work on the headers or it may wait for a bit - depends on time I guess. One thing for sure is I'll never replace these headers - they are 16ga and bombproof stainless. Considering I've gone through two fronts and one rear the cost of these bends was cheap.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to wrap it all up.

sakurama screwed with this post 09-19-2012 at 11:15 AM