Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #901
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,406
Good luck in Bonneville. Say hi to the girls for me and hurry back and finish this bike.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #902
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,616
So. Did you get some salt for the shaker?
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #903
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Yea time for some more grease.

DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #904
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Yea time for some more grease.

I was out at the shop yesterday squeaking away and we got a lot done. I have photos but a party last night at Revit left me a bit too intoxicated to properly post them up...

That's me on the right.

I'll do that tonight once I finish my shoot. Needless to say the results are impressive.

On another note I won't be making the rally (surprise!) Between the bike not being done (but soooooooo close) and me getting booked for the remainder of this week it's not happening. The good news is that I'm going to be leaving the bike with Chris until the chokes are resolved. I also want to be sure the 2wd is working and tested before I leave the proximity of the CNC.

Gregor
Old 09-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #905
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,616
Did someone say chokes???
Old 09-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #906
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Chris hasn't made many updates but he has been making parts and progress. Thankfully I'm here in NYC for a few weeks and I got time over the weekend to head out to the shop to see the progress and help out a bit as we move from the endless jig making and fixturing to the actual laying down of welding bead.

These are the parts that will hold the gearbox in place at a perfectly square 90° to the headstock. One of the things I've learned from Chris is that making the part is the smallest part of the job. The design, the planning, the fixtures and jigs are what allows a part to be made and fit in what seems like an effortless perfection. There's a lot of work involved getting here.

He posted a shot of this but I think it's worth repeating in more detail. That is a perfect right angle fit with zero gap. You can't ask for more and I'm always learning from Chris. Nice.

To be sure that you don't warp anything you need to tack around the part without putting too much heat into it. Chris planned ahead for the thickness of the headstock by making sure the tube intersecting it was a similar thickness at the weld and also projected past the join. Smart detail.

Once the headstock tube was tacked a mock gearbox fixture, that aligned and attached to the major headstock fixture, was bolted in and the mounting brackets were attached to that. Again, it was a zero gap fit and the parts were tacked in spreading the heat to avoid any warping.

Between the jig and the engine it's some seriously awkward and tight out of position welds.

Once the gearbox mount was tacked Chris added more bead to the headstock while the jig was still on.

Then he turned some parts in the manual lathe so we could check fit.

And we mounted the actual gearbox and it fit perfectly.

Dead nuts perfect and square and it looks great. I'm getting pretty excited about this. Woody's should have my wheel finished and Chris only needs to make the long chain run housing and then we can begin to put this bitch together. And work on those chokes...

It's interesting to consider living with the 2WD on what is my main street bike. Portland has some rainy winter weather and I'm curious how it will work on wet pavement with street tires. It's going to be a learning curve and we plan on experimenting with the drive ratios but this is cool. I'm stoked.

Gregor

sakurama screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 04:54 PM
Old 09-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #907
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,796
This is so cool...

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:05 AM   #908
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 818
So Very cool.....
Old 09-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #909
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,823
Old 09-10-2013, 05:00 AM   #910
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Fan bloody tastic

Can't wait
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:20 AM   #911
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,261
Yes, VERY COOL... But...

But is it replicable cool?
Old 09-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #912
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSurfer View Post
But is it replicable cool?
I think Chris can answer to this more accurately than myself but the point of all of his jigs is to make this repeatable and consistent. The fact that Tony's frame and mine had a 2.5mm difference in width across the frame rails means that each frame will need to have the gearbox mounts fine fitted in house but he's built in adjustability to shim the gears accurately for the application. Much like a transmission the bevel gears need to be accurately shimmed for engagement.

Chris has done this entire project with an eye towards replicating the project on additional frames. We talked about it the other day and his estimate was that if he got a bare frame in he could do the entire process in 6 weeks now that my frame has served to establish the jigs and fixtures. Not a short time but a realistic winter project.

I think that Tony's frame will go quickly now that the bulk of the work has been done so that should provide a realistic time frame. As for cost - that's something that Chris can address but it's certainly not cheap. To me my 990 is a long term bike that I have a deep affinity for and I'm also a firm believer in the benefits of 2WD especially on bikes with excessive power to traction ratios. That paired with my desire for something different and a love of modification/improvements/customizing this was something that I couldn't resist. But, yes, to answer your question, it is certainly repeatable.

And don't worry about the chokes Pete (and the rest who are waiting) - we're both committed to getting that working. We've put too much effort in so far and I think it's the piece of the puzzle that makes the FCR's a no brainer upgrade.

Gregor
Old 09-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #913
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
>>But is it replicable cool?

That's one of the reasons its taking so long! I originally planned on doing one, which can be done accurately in a quick and dirty manner, to doing 2, which makes a little investment into fixturing worthwhile. Then I had a couple of additional inquiries during the initial stages so thought putting a bunch more time into durable fixturing could be worthwhile. That added a lot more time but the plus is that it is now a 'process' and not just getting it all to fit.

Once we get Gregor and Tony's bike running I can get a handle on what the costs would be for additional conversions, hopefully in lots of 3 or so. The plan would be to send me a frame and forks and I send them back ready for reassembly. It would be a faster turnaround than these first 2 bikes (sorry guys!) since most of the legwork is already done.

As usual, keep checking on this thread for progress as the bike will be running this month.
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #914
rossguzzi
990 Adv.

Oddometer: 818
Fantastic photos too !
Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #915
GrenDesb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Ok then, I start saving right now.
GrenDesb is offline   Reply With Quote