Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #961
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,373
Impressive work Chris. I'm bummed it isn't ready today but at the same time I'm still sick, up to my eye balls in work and need to buckle down so I'm ready to go home and deal with the crisis's that are lined up and waiting for me. Over my head in stress right now so I'll miss the diversion but I can use the time.

Next time...

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #962
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,790
Nice work chris, not long now eh.

Gregor you sound like you need a hug, maybe you should pop in and see chris.
DRjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #963
Slider_Over
Hooligan

Oddometer: 40
Amazed at watching the progress on this....love it! Excited about the "choke work" too. Can't wait to see an FCR with choke solution

I just got my full Akra exhaust installed with the header. I can't believe how much this wakes up the 950...just amazing!! It looks so good as well...and the sound...wow!! I can't wait to add some FCR's...and then I'm done...
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #964
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_Over View Post
...and then I'm done...
No such thing.
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #965
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
>>How repeatable is this? Not can you do it again but how much quicker/more economically can this be performed?

It will be a much faster turnaround for more but I would ideally do them in batches of a few at a time. As of now official turnaround and pricing are TBD.

>>If the key, I would have thought it would be safer to have the two sprockets fixed to each other?

Keyways are specifically designed for transmitting torque on shafts so why try to reinvent the wheel? A 7/8" long key has a pretty large shear area compared to a couple of screws or dowel pins.
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #966
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
Over my head in stress right now...

Alcohol helps. I prefer tequila and beer at times like this.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #967
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, its looking like the narrow 520 chain will be required! These are the 420V _rivet_ connecting links that finally arrived.

After a lot of phone calls and digging, according to DID they do have rivet links for the 420V chain but nobody has ever bought one so they are not stocked even though they are listed as 'in stock' by many online vendors! DID US need to call DID Japan and see what a minimum production run is. Since that is a sure sign of scarce availability it is best to switch to parts that are more universally stocked.

The 520VT chain seems to be carried by a lot of vendors and if we use it then a clip link can be used on the 420V short chain. It may seem like a tiny detail and it is but that 1.5mm means instead of a light grinding on the inside of the frame we would need to break through the wall thickness of the tube. That's not an option so we have an 11th hour change in parts. Its not the end of the world but just as I'm about to go and test it sucks. Now I need to get one of these chains in and on Gregor's bike for testing. Does anybody know if the rear sprockets/carriers for the KTM singles and twins are the same? I can machine the front sprocket to suit but the rear sprocket on Gregor's bike is hard as hell and chips every one of the inserts I try when cutting it on the lathe. If necessary I'll do it on the mill where the interrupted cuts from the sprocket teeth are nowhere near as much of an issue for the cutter as they are on the lathe, but would rather use an OEM part for for easy and cheap replacements.

Arrrrgh.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #968
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,464
The smaller KTM rear sprockets are similar in bolt pattern/count and the ID works too, however they use smaller diameter counter sunk bolts. Some people have switched to 520 on the 950/990s successfully by re-machining the bolt holes to accept larger bolts. Last time I asked, Sporting Wood had a 520 setup
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #969
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,373
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
I can machine the front sprocket to suit but the rear sprocket on Gregor's bike is hard as hell and chips every one of the inserts I try when cutting it on the lathe.
That's a tool steel sprocket and it is hard. I wouldn't try machining it. Is there a way to use clips throughout? For ease of use on the trail I like using clips if possible although I know they're not as secure as a rivet. I think a chain tool for 420 might hard to come by and space is limited.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #970
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

There is a cross over from the Aprilia that will work as well as the 520 CS sprocket from the RC8 will work as well, the shaft is the same.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #971
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

>>Is there a way to use clips throughout? For ease of use on the trail I like using clips if possible although I know they're not as secure as a rivet. I think a chain tool for 420 might hard to come by and space is limited.

Haven't you been keeping up? Needing to use the 420V clip master is pushing us to the 520VT2 rear chain. Anyway, the 420 chain is only 30 links long so keeping a spare onboard is easy.

There are 520 front sprockets available for the SuperDuke, SM, RC8 and the Aprilia Mille, is that what you are talking about?
Old 10-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #972
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
>>There are 520 front sprockets available for the SuperDuke, SM, RC8 and the Aprilia Mille, is that what you are talking about?

Yes, 520 for the CS for the aforementioned applications will fit with little/no mod, however the rears for the same will not fit. Will need to use a rear from a 530 application and machine the holes to accept larger dia bolts to fit the LC8 rear drive carrier.

http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/

specifically: http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/p/558...m-950rc-8.html
Old 10-09-2013, 03:02 PM   #973
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Having to drill out rear sprockets isn't ideal.

I'd rather a hard to find rivet link for the front wheel drive chain rather than a custom rear sprocket.

But saying that you do what you've got to do.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #974
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Having to drill out rear sprockets isn't ideal.

I'd rather a hard to find rivet link for the front wheel drive chain rather than a custom rear sprocket.

But saying that you do what you've got to do.
Why is that?

I have had good luck doing it on my XR600. Even easy to get a nice clean cut, since I discovered step drills.

Edit: Hey Chris, am I allowed to say "step drill" in this thread? or is that heresy?

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962

MortimerSickle screwed with this post 10-09-2013 at 03:57 PM
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #975
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Because when the owner of the bike is in butfucknowhere and is sprocket goes to shit its sometimes hard enough to find a sprocket let alone have it drilled out to match bolts.

Not impossible but not ideal.

Chris I do have plenty of 520 ally hub rear sprockets to try that I can drill out so if we have to go down that path it won't be a huge issue.

I'll have to check but it might also be possible to swap sprocket hubs between the 520 and 525 two peice ktm sprockets.