ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #1036
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 183
One other weird observation

Gregor's custom dual NACA duct front windshield seems pretty innocuous from the front....



But from the rider's seat it feels like you are about to slip Dr. Doom's mask on. Maybe that explains my behavior......

__________________
Chris
moto2-usa.blogspot.com
Check out my products 10% off for ADV rider members
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #1037
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer
 
MortimerSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 12,399
Oh, well yeah, I can see that now. You are blameless.
__________________


I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #1038
sakurama OP
on an endless build
 
sakurama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: NYC & PDX
Oddometer: 1,488
Man, I'm excited to ride this thing. I have our wheelie maestro Gino set to give it a whirl so we get another perspective. Tommy's coming out too. This will be fun.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:37 AM   #1039
Douf
Limey Bitch
 
Douf's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Close to Cumming (GA that is)
Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
Gregor's custom dual NACA duct front windshield seems pretty innocuous from the front....



But from the rider's seat it feels like you are about to slip Dr. Doom's mask on. Maybe that explains my behavior......

Actually, the paint job possibly adds to the super hero persona too.



Douf
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #1040
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 429
Good work Chris.


how are those carbs / choke setup working out??
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #1041
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 183
>>how are those carbs / choke setup working out

Have new jets in and just waiting for a cold day. It started fine yesterday with no choke or throttle fiddling. Warm today and supposed to be in the 50s for a few days.
__________________
Chris
moto2-usa.blogspot.com
Check out my products 10% off for ADV rider members
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #1042
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam
 
cyborg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pacific NorthWet
Oddometer: 5,223
Recently pointed to this thread and read it cover to cover. Amazing technical engineering and fab work!

Looking forward to reports of how it works in the dirt.


...and also looking over at my 690R, hmmm I think it needs 2WD

(seriously! )
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #1043
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,856
Very cute girlfriend in the 1st post..........and yes some mission creep throughout ,it happens. Nice Bike!
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #1044
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: NYC
Oddometer: 183
Can anyone give some feedback on what temperature it gets hard to start the bike with FCRs at? Today was chilly (mid 40s?) and the bike started easily w/o the choke. It also threatened to start raining so I went out hoping to get some wet asphalt time but it didn't rain.
__________________
Chris
moto2-usa.blogspot.com
Check out my products 10% off for ADV rider members
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #1045
sakurama OP
on an endless build
 
sakurama's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: NYC & PDX
Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Very cute girlfriend in the 1st post..........and yes some mission creep throughout ,it happens. Nice Bike!
Ha, this thread has been going so long that we've moved to Oregon and now have two kids almost 3 and 4! But, yeah, she's a hottie and an former professional chef - score!



Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #1046
wiseblood
Hall Monitor
 
wiseblood's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: New York City
Oddometer: 13,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
Can anyone give some feedback on what temperature it gets hard to start the bike with FCRs at? Today was chilly (mid 40s?) and the bike started easily w/o the choke. It also threatened to start raining so I went out hoping to get some wet asphalt time but it didn't rain.

I had cold-weather starting symptoms today. Temps at 6:00 am (when I departed) were about 34F. This is a 2007 950 LC8 (SMR). Opened the chokes and all was good.

I think it also makes a big difference if the bike was out in the cold. If the oil and engine components are also cold, it really amplifies the issues.
__________________
"Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now."

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #1047
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
Can anyone give some feedback on what temperature it gets hard to start the bike with FCRs at? Today was chilly (mid 40s?) and the bike started easily w/o the choke. It also threatened to start raining so I went out hoping to get some wet asphalt time but it didn't rain.
I am running Flanny's machine and I am getting hard to start conditions at pretty much anything under 10C (50F or so). Of course the colder it is the tougher it is to start. Closer to 10C isn't that bad...

It could be operator error - I have tried a number of different methods of course. with the accelerator pump prior to start I am giving it 4 twists of the throttle then hit the ignition. It usually takes up to 5 or so consecutive ignition starts for each I am giving 1 or 2 twists of the throttle with the accelerator pump... After the 5th or so ignition start the bike will stay running on its own and heat up.
I have tried the above method in conjunction with very minimally holding the throttle and using the throttle lock to run it until it starts heating up. This method works well at 10C (50F) range... At much lower than that it seems to be counter productive.

Of course we have had a few mornings below 0C (30F) or so and those mornings it is noticeably tougher to get the bike to stay running - I have attempted using no throttle at all and I have attempted the throttle lock as well. Usually a combination of the above work eventually but its not a smooth process and takes 6+ ignition starts to keep the bike running.

After the bike stays running its a synch and runs well and runs very smooth... But the initial cold start is not the smoothest. Chokes and coughs the odd time I get a 'snap' like backfire.

The carbs appear to be well balanced so I have not adjusted much of anything in that regards.

Compared to my Vmax with carbs and oversized exhaust which takes nothing to start, the KTM is right now a near 10min process to get er warming up.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?
Or need to adjust air or??
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #1048
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,738
That's par for the course in my experience at these temps.

4-5 tries before it finally agrees to cooperate...

Chokes would definitely be the bomb!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
I am running Flanny's machine and I am getting hard to start conditions at pretty much anything under 10C (50F or so). Of course the colder it is the tougher it is to start. Closer to 10C isn't that bad...

It could be operator error - I have tried a number of different methods of course. with the accelerator pump prior to start I am giving it 4 twists of the throttle then hit the ignition. It usually takes up to 5 or so consecutive ignition starts for each I am giving 1 or 2 twists of the throttle with the accelerator pump... After the 5th or so ignition start the bike will stay running on its own and heat up.
I have tried the above method in conjunction with very minimally holding the throttle and using the throttle lock to run it until it starts heating up. This method works well at 10C (50F) range... At much lower than that it seems to be counter productive.

Of course we have had a few mornings below 0C (30F) or so and those mornings it is noticeably tougher to get the bike to stay running - I have attempted using no throttle at all and I have attempted the throttle lock as well. Usually a combination of the above work eventually but its not a smooth process and takes 6+ ignition starts to keep the bike running.

After the bike stays running its a synch and runs well and runs very smooth... But the initial cold start is not the smoothest. Chokes and coughs the odd time I get a 'snap' like backfire.

The carbs appear to be well balanced so I have not adjusted much of anything in that regards.

Compared to my Vmax with carbs and oversized exhaust which takes nothing to start, the KTM is right now a near 10min process to get er warming up.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?
Or need to adjust air or??
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #1049
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario Canada
Oddometer: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanny View Post
That's par for the course in my experience at these temps.

4-5 tries before it finally agrees to cooperate...

Chokes would definitely be the bomb!
thx Flanny.
That was my thinking as well.
I agree though Chokes would be pretty cool. I am interested to see how it works out on Gregors 'new' bike...

I would post a pic of your machine in its new digs but in fear of hi-jacking the thread I digress...

With the amount of torque this beast pulls other than the carbs / starting I could use some advice on how to gear through wheelies!!??
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #1050
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!
 
Flanny's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
Oddometer: 2,738
If you want to post a picture of the (former) Flannymobile here, you'd have to throw-down a major project to burry the 2WD Gregor Mobile once and for all:

A few suggestions that MAY be worthy enough for a highjack:
- A supercharger and 1290cc big bore project; or
- some kind of Ohlin's Active or Skyhook suspension conversion with 13 inches of height adjustable preload and continuously variable suspension damping; or
- an actual fully functioning windshield that fully eliminates buffeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
thx Flanny.
That was my thinking as well.
I agree though Chokes would be pretty cool. I am interested to see how it works out on Gregors 'new' bike...

I would post a pic of your machine in its new digs but in fear of hi-jacking the thread I digress...

With the amount of torque this beast pulls other than the carbs / starting I could use some advice on how to gear through wheelies!!??
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015