User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2013, 06:50 PM   #1036
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Ride report- finally!

First off I have to say that is been a while since I've ridden a powerful street bike. Also, I don't have a helmet cam and was alone so this is a boring text-only update.

That said, HOLY SHIT!, I can see why people love these bikes! Even a wheelie wuss like me can pull some nice 2nd gear ones.

Since we're a stone's throw from NYC there is not much dirt riding area around besides the adjacent vacant lots, so I headed over there. Its a dirty/rocky ground surface. Gregor's got chunky street tires on the bike now so with the 2WD disengaged it was pretty easy to break the rear loose with a bit of throttle. Engaging the 2wd resulted in a bunch of rocks pelting my feet from the front wheel and the bike accelerated noticeably better.

The steering is definitely a bit heavier, sort of like with a steering damper set slightly high. After a while you don't even notice it. With the 950ADV front fairing and all that stuff hanging off the front the steering lock is a bit tight due to the driveshaft covers that are part of the triple clamp assembly. With a bit more tidying of the cables and wires in that area I'm sure it can be improved.

There didn't seem to be much difference in noise level with the 2WD engaged or not but Gregor's exhaust is not the quietest thing out there. It does sound really nice and for some reason strikes immediate fear into jaywalking pedestrians.

After a few minutes getting used to the size of the bike I was doing some really cool, really fun, donuts. The rear was spinning nicely and the front was just pulling me around in circles. Neat. I nearly wiped a few times but that was not enough to make me stop. What was enough was the lot watchman driving over in his car with a little flashie light on top going off. Instead of stopping to chat I 2 wheel roosted him and headed back to the asphalt.

On the pavement I was not pushing hard enough to break the rear loose so the bike felt pretty normal. I had to go into the city for a late meeting so got a bit of pavement time with no issues.

All told I put about 40 miles on it today. I didn't seem to have any problems but I'll bring it back upstairs and do a little inspection teardown to be sure.

Very happy so far. Now I need to get some real dirt riding in but don't know where. Gregor will be back in town next weekend and I'm sure will happily take care of that.

That's it for now. I'll try to get some video over the next few days but now need to get onto Tony's frame and a couple of other projects I have been neglecting.
CosentinoEngineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #1037
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,851
Mmm... I don't know why, but the word "Hooligan" comes to mind.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #1038
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

One other weird observation

Gregor's custom dual NACA duct front windshield seems pretty innocuous from the front....

But from the rider's seat it feels like you are about to slip Dr. Doom's mask on. Maybe that explains my behavior......

Old 10-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #1039
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,851
Oh, well yeah, I can see that now. You are blameless.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #1040
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Man, I'm excited to ride this thing. I have our wheelie maestro Gino set to give it a whirl so we get another perspective. Tommy's coming out too. This will be fun.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:37 AM   #1041
Douf
Limey Bitch

Oddometer: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosentinoEngineering View Post
Gregor's custom dual NACA duct front windshield seems pretty innocuous from the front....

But from the rider's seat it feels like you are about to slip Dr. Doom's mask on. Maybe that explains my behavior......

Actually, the paint job possibly adds to the super hero persona too.

Douf
Douf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:29 AM   #1042
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Good work Chris.

how are those carbs / choke setup working out??
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM   #1043
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

>>how are those carbs / choke setup working out

Have new jets in and just waiting for a cold day. It started fine yesterday with no choke or throttle fiddling. Warm today and supposed to be in the 50s for a few days.
Old 11-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #1044
cyborg
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,988
Recently pointed to this thread and read it cover to cover. Amazing technical engineering and fab work!

Looking forward to reports of how it works in the dirt.

...and also looking over at my 690R, hmmm I think it needs 2WD

(seriously! )
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #1045
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,792
Very cute girlfriend in the 1st post..........and yes some mission creep throughout ,it happens. Nice Bike!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #1046
CosentinoEngineering
Gnarly Adventurer

Can anyone give some feedback on what temperature it gets hard to start the bike with FCRs at? Today was chilly (mid 40s?) and the bike started easily w/o the choke. It also threatened to start raining so I went out hoping to get some wet asphalt time but it didn't rain.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #1047
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
Very cute girlfriend in the 1st post..........and yes some mission creep throughout ,it happens. Nice Bike!
Ha, this thread has been going so long that we've moved to Oregon and now have two kids almost 3 and 4! But, yeah, she's a hottie and an former professional chef - score!

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #1048
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,094
Quote:
Can anyone give some feedback on what temperature it gets hard to start the bike with FCRs at? Today was chilly (mid 40s?) and the bike started easily w/o the choke. It also threatened to start raining so I went out hoping to get some wet asphalt time but it didn't rain.

I had cold-weather starting symptoms today. Temps at 6:00 am (when I departed) were about 34F. This is a 2007 950 LC8 (SMR). Opened the chokes and all was good.

I think it also makes a big difference if the bike was out in the cold. If the oil and engine components are also cold, it really amplifies the issues.

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:07 AM   #1049
Dune
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
I am running Flanny's machine and I am getting hard to start conditions at pretty much anything under 10C (50F or so). Of course the colder it is the tougher it is to start. Closer to 10C isn't that bad...

It could be operator error - I have tried a number of different methods of course. with the accelerator pump prior to start I am giving it 4 twists of the throttle then hit the ignition. It usually takes up to 5 or so consecutive ignition starts for each I am giving 1 or 2 twists of the throttle with the accelerator pump... After the 5th or so ignition start the bike will stay running on its own and heat up.
I have tried the above method in conjunction with very minimally holding the throttle and using the throttle lock to run it until it starts heating up. This method works well at 10C (50F) range... At much lower than that it seems to be counter productive.

Of course we have had a few mornings below 0C (30F) or so and those mornings it is noticeably tougher to get the bike to stay running - I have attempted using no throttle at all and I have attempted the throttle lock as well. Usually a combination of the above work eventually but its not a smooth process and takes 6+ ignition starts to keep the bike running.

After the bike stays running its a synch and runs well and runs very smooth... But the initial cold start is not the smoothest. Chokes and coughs the odd time I get a 'snap' like backfire.

The carbs appear to be well balanced so I have not adjusted much of anything in that regards.

Compared to my Vmax with carbs and oversized exhaust which takes nothing to start, the KTM is right now a near 10min process to get er warming up.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?
Or need to adjust air or??
Dune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #1050
Flanny
Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer: 2,738
That's par for the course in my experience at these temps.

4-5 tries before it finally agrees to cooperate...

Chokes would definitely be the bomb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dune View Post
I am running Flanny's machine and I am getting hard to start conditions at pretty much anything under 10C (50F or so). Of course the colder it is the tougher it is to start. Closer to 10C isn't that bad...

It could be operator error - I have tried a number of different methods of course. with the accelerator pump prior to start I am giving it 4 twists of the throttle then hit the ignition. It usually takes up to 5 or so consecutive ignition starts for each I am giving 1 or 2 twists of the throttle with the accelerator pump... After the 5th or so ignition start the bike will stay running on its own and heat up.
I have tried the above method in conjunction with very minimally holding the throttle and using the throttle lock to run it until it starts heating up. This method works well at 10C (50F) range... At much lower than that it seems to be counter productive.

Of course we have had a few mornings below 0C (30F) or so and those mornings it is noticeably tougher to get the bike to stay running - I have attempted using no throttle at all and I have attempted the throttle lock as well. Usually a combination of the above work eventually but its not a smooth process and takes 6+ ignition starts to keep the bike running.

After the bike stays running its a synch and runs well and runs very smooth... But the initial cold start is not the smoothest. Chokes and coughs the odd time I get a 'snap' like backfire.

The carbs appear to be well balanced so I have not adjusted much of anything in that regards.

Compared to my Vmax with carbs and oversized exhaust which takes nothing to start, the KTM is right now a near 10min process to get er warming up.

Maybe I am doing something wrong?
Or need to adjust air or??
Flanny is offline   Reply With Quote