ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #1231
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
I feel more incompetent every time I look at this thread.
Correct me if I'm wrong but you have a rideable 990 if I'm not mistaken...

Gregor
sakurama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #1232
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,043

I thought of washing mine, too. But, after seeing where that led you, I thought better of it.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962

MortimerSickle screwed with this post 05-26-2014 at 10:42 AM
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:52 AM   #1233
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Chris might be an amazing machinist and fabricator but he's not a great one at keeping people up to date on progress. We talked about it and while he knows it he can't say why that is. Probably why we're friends - he makes amazing stuff for me and then I tell people about it.

Which brings us to what I found in my inbox this morning. Something people have been asking for for a while and it seems is now on my bike.

It seems Chris has paired up his lovely stacks with a plate system that works with the Rottweiler filter. Supposedly Peter's dyno broke so they're awaiting parts before they can test it but my guess would be it is maybe the same or better than the K&N's. This is obviously a prototype but it looks pretty close to final.

If anyone in the NYC metro area is planning on going to Rev'It!'s big party this Thursday Chris is going to bring the bike and we'll be looping our two wheeled burnout video on one of the TV's. Rev'It! throws a good party so either call them up or email them to get on the list. If there's a list - I'm not sure. I'll be there though so be sure to say hi.

Gregor
Old 06-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #1234
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
If anyone in the NYC metro area is planning on going to Rev'It!'s big party this Thursday Chris is going to bring the bike and we'll be looping our two wheeled burnout video on one of the TV's. Rev'It! throws a good party so either call them up or email them to get on the list. If there's a list - I'm not sure. I'll be there though so be sure to say hi.
Where / when?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:28 AM   #1235
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
Where / when?
It's this Thursday night. I understand it's a VIP industry party but I asked if I could bring some friends and that's fine. So, Tim, I'll PM you the email to RSVP to and if anyone else is interested either email me or PM me and I'll do the same.

Gregor
Old 06-24-2014, 02:10 AM   #1236
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 126
Ha!
That's almost funny, because I've just finished this...

The fit is not perfect, and the welding is not at all beautiful, but it does hide nicely under the SM tank and connect to Chris' velocity stacks.

Nowhere near as good a job as Chris. However, what I think we really need are the stacks to be modified to include a mounting for the plate. Should be easy enough if Chris can find the time.

It's interesting that you've managed to maintain the original throttle cables. For me the plate was bang in the way of the front cable mount. Maybe my plate is further forward to account for the smaller SM tank clearance at the rear? My solution was to rebuild the front mount to make the cable approach less vertical and make a linkage to join the throttle spindles of the front and rear carbs. Works a treat and with a much lighter throttle action too, now that there's only one set of cables!

Pictures to follow when I next take off the tank to install the new filter. Sorry, but the weather is way too good now to be spent in the workshop!! The squashed K&N filters will have to do for now...

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #1237
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Whats the status of the choke for the FCR?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:20 AM   #1238
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
Whats the status of the choke for the FCR?
I've tried to stress to Chris that most people are waiting for him to finalize the chokes before they pony up for a whole kit. He's not as convinced there's enough interest. In the end I'm bringing my bike back to OR in the next few weeks and so it will end up becoming my task as I'll have the only bike with the choke circuits. I know that they are doing something as they will kill the engine if put on while the bike is warmed. This tells me that it's an issue with float levels, jets or something and will simply take time to fiddle with. Time is pretty limited for me with the house and kids.

Which leads to me to a possible idea. Perhaps someone here has the time and interest to take either my carbs (I'll swap to the 41's) or have Chris do a second set ( ) and do the ground work. I don't think you'd need to have dyno access but it might not hurt. Mine are pretty nicely set up for my 990. You would need patience and diligence. In return we'd give a good discount on a full setup.

I'll have to clear this with Chris but I can certainly box my carbs up and send them away.

Any takers?

Gregor
Old 06-25-2014, 04:17 AM   #1239
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Quote:
Any takers?

Gregor
Hi Gregor,
I'll take you up on this... but it will need to wait until the end of the summer to be practical. It's just too hot here until at least September to need much of any choke. It's part of the reason I've made almost no progress with my external solution... Definitely not ideal.

You don't seem to have people queuing up to help. I don't know why.

Cheers... Paul
Old 06-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #1240
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,558
Quote:
Any takers?
I'm local to you and (as I said in PM) happy to help once I get my bike sorted. Hopefully that's before end of summer.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:49 PM   #1241
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,387
Quote:
I've tried to stress to Chris that most people are waiting for him to finalize the chokes before they pony up for a whole kit. He's not as convinced there's enough interest.
I'm one of those waiting...
Shipping costs to/from UK makes doing it in 2 bites financially impractical.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:18 AM   #1242
sakurama OP
on an endless build

I can't remember why the Rottweiler filter project was started or who asked for it. Chris thinks that's how the whole FCR stacks thing got started but I thought it was someone who wanted it for an SE. Regardless, my bike was in the shop and so it became the defacto guinea pig for the plate mockup. Which means instead of putting my bike together I spent the weekend reworking the carbs.

It required a lot of reworking too.

To start the position had to be roughed into place which Chris had done with some marks.

And from there I attempted to drill through the whole thing to get it to bolt up on the marks. This is a rough mock up from a 3D printer and Chris made some alternate wedges as well.

From there we had to use a new throttle cable mount (to address your issue Tinwelp) because the plate and the current mount interfere.

At this point I was getting frustrated with the number of times I had to mount, unmount, remount ad nauseum for every single fitment and adjustment. To Chris credit I was getting tired of this after one day - he's been doing this for over a year and I can't imagine how sick of my bike he must be at this point.

And that is what happens when you get sloppy from being frustrated. Disgusted with myself I pulled the part and...

...became more disgusted with myself. Insult to injury...

In my head I could hear my father telling the teenage me, "If you're going to do something, do it right. If you're going to start a job, finish it!" and aside from the irony that these were my fathers greatest failings it is something that has stuck with me and a lesson I continue to learn to this day; there's never time to do it right but there's always time to do it over.

So I took a deep breath, sat down on the couch and chewed some gum.

Then I used that gum on the tip of a welding rod to fish out the screw that dropped into the intake.

Then I did it right.

I drilled through the TPS bracket and then sharpened set screws into points. Clamped the part in perfect alignment and screwed in the set screw to make a small mark.

I used the smallest center screw we had to be sure to keep things in perfect alignment and then center drilled, drilled, countersunk and debarred.

Unlike the original brackets these change the orientation of the throttle cables 90 and as such the bolts had to be changed to flat head screws. It seems like nothing but this took hours and hours because of all the refitting, test fitting etc.

Finally I got it perfect and then fitted and set the TPS.

Now I had to fit the throttle cables and after trying about 5 or 6 different routing configurations determined that the cables for the front carbs were about 4" too long for the new bracket. So then I had to shorten the throttle cables.

Which means I had to turn new ends from some brass stock, drill them out and then measure the slack for each cable and then shorten the housing by 4" for the front carbs.

A trick I discovered in trying to keep the cable end in place was to use some tape and then to fray the back side. Worked well.

Finally I was able to get the carbs mounted with the cables in a clean run with no bends. The action was actually the slickest it's been and very light. At this point I could see that the rear accelerator pump wasn't working so I had to take the carb apart to check that it wasn't blocked, clean the passages, remount and retry. It occurred to me that the 39's hadn't had the floats set and perhaps I'd only done that on the 41's.

So after many fittings and removals later I got the floats set to where the accelerator pumps were both working, the slides snapped shut easily, the cables were tight and the carbs synced. I was actually surprised when the bike started right up. It has become an almost inanimate object to me and to hear it burst into snarling life was surprising and exciting.

But that was the extent of the progress I could make. Chris needs to finish putting the AWD parts back together and then we can button it up. Oregon was nice enough to give me a temporary transit plate since my NY registration expired about three years ago. Good god. It should be back together on Wednesday for a final test and I'll be riding it back to PDX at the end of the month. Fingers crossed.

Gregor

sakurama screwed with this post 06-30-2014 at 09:46 AM
Old 06-30-2014, 08:51 AM   #1243
Bli55
-

Oddometer: 343
I have no idea what this installation does and why these carbs are good...
But this last post is a spectacular read!!

Detailed BMW X-Challenge build thread.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
F-ing in Iceland and Faroe Islands, 2013.
Bli55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #1244
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,130
Whoooot! Get em Gregor! There is nothing I love(hate) more than jacking with my FCR carbs. Hope your ride out West has enough dirt to keep the awd engaged...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #1245
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Gregor,
cables... yes, the same rigmarole was needed for me, but as I'd made a linkage between the carbs at least I only had one pair of cables to modify.

For the cable mount on the front carb, I didn't bother ordering the correct Keihin part. I just cut off the cable mounting tab from the plate and welded it back on as far around the arc as possible. Worked a treat, and of course the TPS mounts remained unchanged.

Keep the faith.

Cheers... Paul