ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 06:57 AM   #1246
JerryK
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinwelp View Post
Ha!
That's almost funny, because I've just finished this...

The fit is not perfect, and the welding is not at all beautiful, but it does hide nicely under the SM tank and connect to Chris' velocity stacks.

Nowhere near as good a job as Chris. However, what I think we really need are the stacks to be modified to include a mounting for the plate. Should be easy enough if Chris can find the time.

It's interesting that you've managed to maintain the original throttle cables. For me the plate was bang in the way of the front cable mount. Maybe my plate is further forward to account for the smaller SM tank clearance at the rear? My solution was to rebuild the front mount to make the cable approach less vertical and make a linkage to join the throttle spindles of the front and rear carbs. Works a treat and with a much lighter throttle action too, now that there's only one set of cables!

Pictures to follow when I next take off the tank to install the new filter. Sorry, but the weather is way too good now to be spent in the workshop!! The squashed K&N filters will have to do for now...

Cheers... Paul

Paul, can I ask where you found that air filter? it's not Rottweiler, is it?
JerryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:19 AM   #1247
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,540
The filter is a ITG, and can be purchased from a few places that I know of. The 'Dome' filter is harder to get than the standard straight sided version. CPR fab (Rottweiler) to my knowledge, does not offer the filter just by itself. SW7 offers the ITG filter systems for the 950/990/1190 and I am pretty sure will sell just the filter.

CPR fab:

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/

Or SW7:

http://www.sw7performance.com/parts.html
CMWC, INC
​dba SW7 Performance
116 Carvie Smith Rd.
Kernersville, NC 27284
​336-362-0792
sportingwoodktm@gmail.com

Or ITG:

http://www.itgfilters.net/
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #1248
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 128
Yes, completely correct; it's an ITG filter. Buy them from a car motorsports shop and you shouldn't have any difficulty finding what you need.

I'm in France, and I've repeatedly found it's better to shop in the UK (efficient mail-order service and lower prices). I use, and cannot recommend highly enough, Merlin Motorsports https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/

Cheers... Paul
tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #1249
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Oddometer: 1,432
Quote:
For the cable mount on the front carb, I didn't bother ordering the correct Keihin part. I just cut off the cable mounting tab from the plate and welded it back on as far around the arc as possible. Worked a treat, and of course the TPS mounts remained unchanged.

Keep the faith.

Cheers... Paul
Nice solution Paul, that's exactly what the Keihin part does. Much nicer, straighter run with lighter action.

Gregor
sakurama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #1250
Slider_Over
Hooligan

Oddometer: 40
FCR's + Choke + Velocity Stacks with Rott filter....

Gregor / Chris

I just wanted to chime in here and stay that I am very interested in what you guys have done here, been watching this thread with great expectation for over a year now.

I would love to jump to the FCR's on my 07 SM....would be the best next big upgrade but the chokes are holding me back. I will say for sure that with a choke solution, I will be buying the full package for sure

With the stacks not fitting the SM and then the talk of a custom Rott filter is just the icing on the cake. Keep up the great work.

If you build it...we will buy...;)

Great work guys, I always look forward to the updates.

All the best...Kent
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:26 AM   #1251
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_Over View Post

If you build it...we will buy...;)
+1...for my Super Enduro
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 AM   #1252
sakurama OP
on an endless build

So, if you've followed my garage build you know that I've got more than a few irons in the fire. It's just been too busy for me to dedicate time to everything that I've got going on so I've decided to ship the bike to Portland. I would love to ride it but work and family are pressing and it's August and hot - not my ideal way to waste a week away and not the ideal time to shake down the bike.

So I'm going to ship it as soon as I find a decent shipper. Once it's in Portland there's a much better chance I will find the time to work on the chokes and figure it out. I will also finally be able to ride it and enjoy it - which, after four years of building is a bit overdue I'd say.

Chris has a week with my bike to finalize the Rottweiler setup so he knows his time is limited to finish that. I personally like the K&N's but I don't think I'll go back just because the new throttle cable linkage is so much slicker and smoother with much less drag - it's lighter than stock. So, progress on that front.

Gregor
Old 07-28-2014, 09:44 AM   #1253
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,941
what an amazing build .. it's been four years .. sooo is your build better than a Super Enduro?

now I'm catching 950 SE fever too ...
_cy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #1254
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,295
If there is one thing that bothers me, it is the heaviness of the pull on these FCR's. Do you have close-ups and a brief explanation to your mod that makes the pull easier?
Old 07-28-2014, 10:10 AM   #1255
sakurama OP
on an endless build

It's funny you should mention the Super Enduro - we've been in discussions with someone about just such a bike and the creation of what would be the ultimate adventure bike. But until things become real it's just that.

As for the throttle cable: it was the change in orientation of the front cable bracket and the shorter and straighter cable run that resulted. Suffice it to say that Chris will be modifying all kits now to reflect the change and the "Full Monty" will have the reduced springs, new bracket, new TPS and new cables so it will be a lighter pull still. It's about like a normal bike and snaps back with good action.

The other thing I discovered, and something that everyone who has FCR's should check, is that the float levels directly effect the accelerator pumps ability to deliver fuel. When they're set right (and I haven't measured them, only adjusted to when they're working) the pumps give a good spray and make starting much easier. Obviously everyone wants the chokes and I'm going to work on that when the bike gets home. There's a few ADV riders out here that may be able help with the sorting.

Gregor
Old 07-28-2014, 12:03 PM   #1256
tinwelp
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 128
Throttle linkage

Hello all,
I needed to take the tank off for some further modifications, so I took the opportunity to show you the throttle linkage I mentioned a little while ago. Sorry for the iPhone pictures... it seems I'm embarrassingly 'between cameras'!

The chief objective was to reposition the cables to allow mounting of a single filter detailed somewhere above. I've a 950SM with Chris' velocity stacks and, as you know, the K&Ns are a bit pants in this application. I also wanted to lighten the throttle action. I'd already lightened the springs as much as I dared, so the only obvious thing was the faintly ridiculous six-cable arrangement supplied by Sudco. So I made this:

Which shows the throttle at mid point so you can see what's going on.

There's a block mounted between the carbs replacing the original drilled plate affair, which doubles as a bell-crank pivot containing a needle-roller bearing:

Both throttle-lift spindles were remade longer and the bearings changed to allow the shaft to pass through... which allowed the mounting of a suitably sized lever-arm, clamped and pinned to each of the shafts:

The remainder of the linkage being made up from aluminium tube and spherical rod-end bearings. I found an extra bar was necessary to stabilise the position of the carbs relative to each other and ensure the action was always correct (the aluminium angle you can see here, mounted on stand-offs, which themselves fit into existing drillings on the carb body):

There's a facility to make tiny balance adjustments with a 'turn-buckle' arrangement in one of the tubes. Which finally allowed the front cable mount to be modified to ensure the cables approached under the filter:

Outboard of the cable mount is the TPS plate which you can just see in the picture. After some experimentation I'm using just the front throttle stop adjuster. The rear has a screw in place of the adjuster, lest something goes horribly wrong with the linkage.

Throttle nirvana with one opening cable and one closing cable and super-light springs! 4000 miles or so of mountain road thrashing after completion and everything is marvellous with the throttles still in perfect balance. I'm not 100% happy with the filter mount yet (it's a bit scrappy, and it touches the underside of the tank in one place), but it's almost there.

Thanks for the tip on the float level Gregor. I usually check when I've got the carbs off, and they always seem to be correct, but I do occasionally see differences in the pump jet spray when looking down the inlets before starting the bike. Nothing dramatic. I've always assumed this had more to do with the horrible ethanol-in-the-fuel issue we have over here. E5 is rapidly becoming the only 95ULG you can find, but I've recorded between 20 and 30% of ethanol when I could be arsed to make measurements!! Shocking. Leave your bike for two weeks and the pilot jets have gummed up. Which is just nasty.

Cheers... Paul

tinwelp screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 12:08 PM
tinwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:50 PM   #1257
sakurama OP
on an endless build

Paul, that is some exceptional work. Just a beautiful linkage arrangement. Simple and elegant.

Gregor
Old 07-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #1258
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakurama View Post
It's funny you should mention the Super Enduro - we've been in discussions with someone about just such a bike….
You wouldn't like it. The 2007 950 Super Enduro was pretty well set up from the factory. Pretty decent power-to-weight ratio, balance, and suspension. Most of us have just been riding the shit out of the bike for the past 4 years, while definitely enjoying following your modifications of a 950 Adventure.

There wouldn't be much modification necessary on the SE, other then maybe a little more fuel, which can easily be solved by converting the left stock cannister to a reservoir, and the right into a two-into-one system.

What fun would a 415 lb bike with 100 horsepower be if you didn't have to modify it?
Old 07-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #1259
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,248
SE needs to be RC8R´ed...
100hp don´t hook up that good. Need moar power.

I really like these old threads. This one is just so freaking good.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:21 AM   #1260
rattis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
Thumb

I feel overwhelmed and inadequate when I see stuff like this.
I can manufacture little bits and bobs, but when the going gets though I have to open my wallet.
Spending money on stuff for the bike does not burt as much as for instance getting a new couch or a dishwasher.
My brain has allotted different accounts for different activities in my life.
The motorbike account gets more money than the buying stuff for the house account, strange what?
But I digress, beautiful job!!!!!!!!1

Quote:
Hello all,
I needed to take the tank off for some further modifications, so I took the opportunity to show you the throttle linkage I mentioned a little while ago. Sorry for the iPhone pictures... it seems I'm embarrassingly 'between cameras'!

The chief objective was to reposition the cables to allow mounting of a single filter detailed somewhere above. I've a 950SM with Chris' velocity stacks and, as you know, the K&Ns are a bit pants in this application. I also wanted to lighten the throttle action. I'd already lightened the springs as much as I dared, so the only obvious thing was the faintly ridiculous six-cable arrangement supplied by Sudco. So I made this:

Which shows the throttle at mid point so you can see what's going on.

There's a block mounted between the carbs replacing the original drilled plate affair, which doubles as a bell-crank pivot containing a needle-roller bearing:

Both throttle-lift spindles were remade longer and the bearings changed to allow the shaft to pass through... which allowed the mounting of a suitably sized lever-arm, clamped and pinned to each of the shafts:

The remainder of the linkage being made up from aluminium tube and spherical rod-end bearings. I found an extra bar was necessary to stabilise the position of the carbs relative to each other and ensure the action was always correct (the aluminium angle you can see here, mounted on stand-offs, which themselves fit into existing drillings on the carb body):

There's a facility to make tiny balance adjustments with a 'turn-buckle' arrangement in one of the tubes. Which finally allowed the front cable mount to be modified to ensure the cables approached under the filter:

Outboard of the cable mount is the TPS plate which you can just see in the picture. After some experimentation I'm using just the front throttle stop adjuster. The rear has a screw in place of the adjuster, lest something goes horribly wrong with the linkage.

Throttle nirvana with one opening cable and one closing cable and super-light springs! 4000 miles or so of mountain road thrashing after completion and everything is marvellous with the throttles still in perfect balance. I'm not 100% happy with the filter mount yet (it's a bit scrappy, and it touches the underside of the tank in one place), but it's almost there.

Thanks for the tip on the float level Gregor. I usually check when I've got the carbs off, and they always seem to be correct, but I do occasionally see differences in the pump jet spray when looking down the inlets before starting the bike. Nothing dramatic. I've always assumed this had more to do with the horrible ethanol-in-the-fuel issue we have over here. E5 is rapidly becoming the only 95ULG you can find, but I've recorded between 20 and 30% of ethanol when I could be arsed to make measurements!! Shocking. Leave your bike for two weeks and the pilot jets have gummed up. Which is just nasty.

Cheers... Paul