Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #1
mountain36 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
Would you change your 800gs for a 1200?...

... or if you have both bikes and had to keep just one as a to-do-everything bike ** , which one would it be?

** (for communiting, city, off-road but nothing extreme, few longer trips but no Pentagonia or the end of the world expedition... you know, a bike for the 80% of us that are not extreme adventure riders but enjoy the style and the option of taking any road when riding).

mountain36 screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 09:10 AM
mountain36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
springfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I'm fairly certain I'd trade my 800GS for a 650X Challenge…I certainly wouldn't go larger.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
I currently own both, and would not hesitate to take either one on a major adventure. I have two sets of wheels for the 12GS - spoked wheels with knobbies mounted, and cast wheels with Tourances mounted. The F8 is not set up for the street - aggressive knobbies front and rear.

The 12GS is truly the Swiss Army Knife of bikes. While I certainly like the F8 a lot, the 12GS is a must have motorcycle for me. Right now I find myself using the 12GS mostly on pavement. Generally on weekends. I do most of my commuting on my YZF1000 since it is fully depreciated, rock solid, and lane splits a bit easier than the 12GS. For longer excursions without a definite plan the 12GS is a joy. If you don't know where the road is going to take you, there is no better moto than the 12GS IMO. I could point that bike anywhere with just my riding gear, tool kit, and a Visa card and be happy as can be.

As I have said in other posts, I think I could get the 12GS in almost all the places I could get the F8 off road. The F8 has a smaller turning radius (without sliding the tires) than the 12GS, so it is quite a bit more maneuverable off road in the tight stuff. Although the 12GS weighs about 50 or 60 pounds more than the F8, it does not feel like it since it seems to carry the weight lower. In fact, I find it easier to push the 12GS around the garage than the F8.

tmex screwed with this post 05-06-2009 at 09:25 AM
tmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,132
I have both as well/nothing to add to what TMEX said except if I had to get rid of one it would be the 8 as I do a lot of x-country. Leaving atlanta sunday for 5 days in utah then on to the west coast and alaska. Could take the 8 but the 12 is a lot more comfortable on a 10-15k mile trip.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,451
Traded

traded my 12 for the 8. Don't regret it a bit. While the 12 will do almost everything, dirt-wise, that the 8 will, I'd never do schofield again on a 12, but I'd do it on an 8.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,789
If I had the dough, I'd have both. You can't deny that the 12 is the defacto standard for go-anywhere adventuring. But I do tend to get myself into sticky situations sometimes where wouldn't want a 12! Far too big!

P.S. Yes, I've ridden a 12.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Guyver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
I just came back from riding both bikes. I posted in the other section as well. I'm sold on the GS12. While the 800 was exciting, and it just felt tight; the fit and finish very good, except for the footpegs and rear brake lever - felt like I was braking with my big toe only. I also didn't like the bobbling brake fluid container on the handlebars.

The 800 is a great machine. If I had all the money I wanted, I would have one for day trips and dual sport rides.

For any long distance riding, I would go with the 12. There's just something special about that machine. It's like a Cadillac that performs, or wants to be a Vette.

The engine and handling on the 800 feels more "snappy." The 12 just feels right to me from an overall perspective. It should be said that neither one is a dirt bike, and they're not going to ride like one off road. IMO.

PS. I don't think I can do with just one bike.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
justanotherider
justanotherider

Oddometer: 177
Never had a 1200; but had an older R100. I wouldn't take a 1200 if they were giving them away. I like the lighter weight of the 800, as well as the power characteristics. I just got back from riding from the Beaufort Sea to the Pacific to the Atlantic on my 800, (about 10,000km - 6,200 miles) and it's as good as any unfaired long distance bike in my experience.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
darmahman
"Illogically Deluded"

Oddometer: 2,798
Depends on what you wanna do. I owned an 05 GS and an 08 GS Adv. Both are great bikes. If you want to ride slab - go for it. If you want to do light trails, forest roads and dirt roads keep the 800.
darmahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:24 AM   #10
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,532
No!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:35 PM   #11
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 966
Not a chance

Had both and for my needs the F800GS does it all. Sold the big pig last week.
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:10 PM   #12
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,748
1200 for 800!

Not a chance!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #13
thelouv
ocd

Oddometer: 105
800, but I'm biased.
Although if someone wanted to trade their 1200GS for my Triumph Rocket III, I'd gladly have both GSs in my garage.
Triumph Rocket III (sold)
F800GS (got mine)
Next? Duc 1098 ADV? nope,
went back to a Jeep, and still lovin the GS
thelouv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
Dave92029
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Talking Traded the R12GS in on a F650GS

Put over 50,000 miles on the R12GS and decided that it was too tall and heavy so I traded it in on a '09 F650GS. I'm so happy.
It feels so good to be able to flat foot the F650GS, and less weight makes it handle the tight twisty mtn roads much easier.

Less in this case is so much more!
Dave92029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #15
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
If I had to choose just one the 8GS would win... fun all the time, but most importantly it goes places a 1200 can't.

Since I have a 12R not a 12GS, and a 8GS, I wouldn't want to give up either since I have the best of both worlds for me.
I never had a problem taking my 12R in places many people have said they wouldn't take a 12GS so I believe it to be very comparable for off tarmac adventures... especially light duty ones. The R handles much better on pavement, is noticeably faster, and transforms from a naked Roadster to a full on adventure touring machine in about a half hour.
There is something about that 109 HP Boxer engine I need now and then, however the 8GS wins because of the fun factor by having more options of places to ride.

You don't need a 12GS for trail riding, just throwing that out there. Methinks the R is a better all around bike, if the majority of your riding is on tarmac. Unless you're tall and need that extra legroom... or are particularly fond of that big 12GS industrial look. The 8GS is the obvious choice if you're going to actually be riding in the dirt, though it's fun in the city too... shit! I can't make up my mind...

Since I'm bored at work and I know how we like pictures, here's some photo's on my 1200R/A

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 05-11-2009 at 01:46 PM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote